Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page "Parents Love Telling Their Kids Fibs"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.23.2006, 06:52 AM   #1
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
British parents relish tricking their children into believing the same tall tales they were told in their youth, it has been claimed. Modern parents are not just happy to tell porkies about the likes of Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy, they even elaborate on the old myths. A poll has found almost nine out of 10 parents have passed on the white lies they were told as children - but with an extra dash of imagination.

Among the whoppers were: "When the man in the ice cream van plays his music, he's run out of ice cream", and "Daddy is related to all policemen, so you have to be good wherever you go." But the favourites remained tales about Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy, followed closely by the importance of eating carrots and crusts.

The nationwide poll for Reader's Digest magazine found 89% of British adults were told minor mistruths by their parents when they were young, with 83% passing them on to their own offspring. Parents from the north of England told the most lies, followed by those from the South, the Midlands and Wales. The Scots told the fewest.

Child psychologist Richard Bulkeley said parents did not need to feel guilty for lying to their children. He said: "Sharing fantasies may well stimulate children's brains and help develop language skills. It could also make them more creative and sensitive later in life."

:: The top 10 white lies are:

1. Father Christmas
2. The Tooth Fairy
3. Crusts make your hair curl
4. Carrots make you see in the dark
5. If the wind changes, your face will stay like that
6. Easter Bunny
7. Babies are found under gooseberry bushes (or similar)
8. If you eat apple pips, they'll grow in your tummy
9. Picking your nose causes your head to cave in/your brain to fall out/your nose to fall off
10. Lying does something unpleasant to your tongue (spots, ulcers, it will drop off)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/23112006/14...kids-fibs.html

Does anyone have any good stories to share? Either fibs that their parents told them, or fibs that they have told their own kids?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 06:59 AM   #2
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Kitty rarely believes our lies.

For a while she believed fairies lived in the trees in the park. But at the same time we couldn't convince her that giants and monsters didn't really exist.

It's difficult with children. It took us a while to convince her that mummy really does have a baby growing in her tummy, which sounds just as fantastic as the fairy lie.

What are they meant to believe?
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 07:00 AM   #3
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i told my neice that if she watched too much tv she would get sucked in. she was terrified of the tv for weeks after that thinking it was some kind of vortex to another world or something.

also that there is a troll living under the bridge, she runs accross it every time now.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 07:01 AM   #4
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
i told my neice that if she watched too much tv she would get sucked in. she was terrified of the tv for weeks after that thinking it was some kind of vortex to another world or something.

Kitty often says she wishes she could go into the tv.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
"You can achieve any dream if you just apply yourself."
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
"We don't have any favorites; we love you and your brothers and sisters all the same."
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 09:59 AM   #7
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl

1. Father Christmas
2. The Tooth Fairy
3. Crusts make your hair curl
4. Carrots make you see in the dark
5. If the wind changes, your face will stay like that
6. Easter Bunny
7. Babies are found under gooseberry bushes (or similar)
8. If you eat apple pips, they'll grow in your tummy
9. Picking your nose causes your head to cave in/your brain to fall out/your nose to fall off
10. Lying does something unpleasant to your tongue (spots, ulcers, it will drop off)

that is completely true.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 10:10 AM   #8
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Lies-T.../dp/0340834056

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 10:57 AM   #9
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Those are pretty much the same on this side of the Atlantic too. There are some minor variations.

Father Christmas is called Santa and so on.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 11:38 AM   #10
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
i think my parents told me these things, but i can't remember a time when i believed in father christmas/the tooth fairy.

i have got a particularly mean older brother though, so that might have something to do with it
Old 11.23.2006, 11:41 AM   #11
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
remember when they always told you whe you were i kid

'if you drink coffee you will grow a tail'
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 11:43 AM   #12
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
my dad says i'm special all the time
not too sure what he means.
he also told me when i was younger that i would undoubtley spend some time in prison, which i havent yet. so thats a fib ... right?
Old 11.23.2006, 11:45 AM   #13
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
"When the man in the ice cream van plays his music, he's run out of ice cream", and "Daddy is related to all policemen, so you have to be good wherever you go."

scum.
subhuman scum.
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2006, 11:45 AM   #14
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
it wont be a fib til you die, and then you wont be able to get the satisfaction

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth