Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page "The Spectral Presence" sounds like...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: "The Spectral Presence" sound like...
They sound like Big Black. 1 8.33%
They sound like The Pixies 1 8.33%
They sound like Joy Division 0 0%
None of the above. 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06.03.2006, 03:24 PM   #21
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
None of the above.
I like it. Good stuff.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2006, 11:55 AM   #22
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Should we take TheDom's vote and switch it to "none of the above" since he stated he voted that choice purposely?
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2006, 01:57 PM   #23
khchris(crispy)
empty page

khchris(crispy) has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
they're finger lickin' good!!
khchris(crispy) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2006, 02:07 PM   #24
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses

'' Who cares?I'm tired.I'm dead.''

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2006, 03:42 PM   #25
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
SpectralJulian - it's good stuff.

Regarding the sound like, I think it's worth noting that, unless they've changed the myspace whatsits since this thread was started, they've listed the bands that they are influenced by as: "Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Shellac/Big Black, Jesus and Mary Chain, Bauhaus, Joy Division, WIRE, Fugazi". And in the sounds like bit they've put: "Dark scary post-punk".

Now, so far as I can make out, describing the sound as 'dark, scary post-punk' is spot on. There's a moderate goth influence on the vocals (so that justifies Bauhaus, J&MC and Joy Division), and there's bits of Fugazi angularity on the guitars, so that's that one. But the point is more that what a band listens to (that is, what they are influenced by) is often different from what they sound like - in fact, a good band should sound nothing like their influences, to my mind.

I don't understand what's to get pissed off about at this music... it's good, I like it. I'd like to hear them in a couple of years when they've got nice mics, a decent studio, and more gigs under their belt... by that I mean I wouldn't buy it now, but unlike the overwhelming majority of Myspazz bands, I wouldn't suggest the band give up - there's a couple of nice ideas there, they have an interesting (to me) sound, and I would like to hear it develop.

I think I could've probably cut out a lot of that gack I've just written, were it not for this being a deliberately provocative thread. It's good stuff spectralJulian, keep it up chap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2006, 04:01 PM   #26
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

Regarding the sound like, I think it's worth noting that, unless they've changed the myspace whatsits since this thread was started, they've listed the bands that they are influenced by as: "Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Shellac/Big Black, Jesus and Mary Chain, Bauhaus, Joy Division, WIRE, Fugazi". And in the sounds like bit they've put: "Dark scary post-punk".

Now, so far as I can make out, describing the sound as 'dark, scary post-punk' is spot on. There's a moderate goth influence on the vocals (so that justifies Bauhaus, J&MC and Joy Division), and there's bits of Fugazi angularity on the guitars, so that's that one. But the point is more that what a band listens to (that is, what they are influenced by) is often different from what they sound like - in fact, a good band should sound nothing like their influences, to my mind.

I don't understand what's to get pissed off about at this music... it's good, I like it. I'd like to hear them in a couple of years when they've got nice mics, a decent studio, and more gigs under their belt... by that I mean I wouldn't buy it now, but unlike the overwhelming majority of Myspazz bands, I wouldn't suggest the band give up - there's a couple of nice ideas there, they have an interesting (to me) sound, and I would like to hear it develop.

I think I could've probably cut out a lot of that gack I've just written, were it not for this being a deliberately provocative thread. It's good stuff spectralJulian, keep it up chap.

It's worth noting that yes, he has compromised and changed his profile since the start of the thread.
Old 06.04.2006, 04:04 PM   #27
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
This is like the same thing as when a whole bunch of Europian fucks on some forum said that Scissor Shock "sounds nothing like any of their influences". So fucking what? Who gives a shit?
Old 06.04.2006, 06:21 PM   #28
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

Well, I did have some bands listed of what I thought it sounded like at its current state, which is a little different from what it was like when I made the recordings. I changed the sounds like to "KHChris performing auto-erotic asphyxiation" and then changed it later that day.

I played a show last night and someone recorded every band. So I'll have some new sounds up soon. As well as pics with a super bright flash and my eyes closed. My bassist was conveniently out of town :/.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2006, 06:25 PM   #29
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think, even if you say, "We sound exactly like band x", there are an infinite number of bands taking greater liberties with the notion of influences. I know, they always try and add me. I send them unpleasant messages about how shit their music is. It's a fun way to pass the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2006, 10:04 PM   #30
khchris(original)
100%

Interesting.

Nobody seems to think The Spectral Presence sounds like Big Black, Pixies or Joy Division.
Old 06.05.2006, 04:53 AM   #31
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
geezus christ
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth