Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Beatles=most overrated band ever!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.27.2006, 04:27 PM   #61
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I Want You (She's So Heavy) is the greatest song in the world

the problem with the above statement regarding loving the beatles or zepplein when you have not heard that much other music is that MOST MUSIC after the beatles was and is influenced by the beatles, either directly or indirectly, which is kind of like saying "people like Picasdso more when they have not seen other art" when every bit of "other art" after Picasso is either influenced by, or a direct confrontation of, Picasso.

in that sense, the beatles are the greatest rock band ever.

helter skelter baby, helter skelter.

Revolution (tell me you would not love to crank out a guitar sound so tasty)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf-Q2rDd6Tw

Paperback Writer (how many damn bands aped this riff and this structure? not just the monkees!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBAN5fTYijI

Come Together (I fucking love this song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QsjUrBv1dw

BlackBird (beautiful song, just paul on the guitar and his foot tapping on the studio floor.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvGUDp1HW7k

You Never Give Me Your Money
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcInkjYsbLk

I Want You (She's So Heavy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCt_BLbobr0
Old 12.27.2006, 04:36 PM   #62
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
I knew that your position originated precisely in the gauging of what is considred good "psychedelic" music. I knew that you felt that the garage rock, early Krautrock, and other psychedelia of the '60s by more marginal bands is better music than a lot of The Beatles and that this was the wellspring of your agenda.

The vast majority of "Krautrock" occurred post-Beatles in any case, and while I may personally see much of this music as fantastic, I have never told you that you are "misguided" or "transparently contrarian" if you don't bow down to Can (who made plenty of crappy records in addition to great ones) or Neu! (who were certainly guilty of a lot of musical regurgitation amongst their shining moments). Just because I think band X or Y has made an important contribution to music doesn't mean other people will, and I can accept that without making some kind of bogus attempt at psychoanalyzing them because they think Keiji Haino's music sounds like a cat stuck in a vacuum cleaner. In fact, if someone can acknowledge the validity of the work of an artist like Haino while simultaneously not being a fan of his music, I will give that person some credit for that. I certainly won't tell that person they are "misguided" in their opinions and try and pinpoint "the wellspring of their agenda." I will tell them why I disagree with them, but to make personal remarks based on subjective matters like whether or not someone likes this or that band is as "misguided" as any skewed take on art.
Also, it's not an all-or-nothing proposition. I was merely chiming in on a thread. I like a few of their songs, I hate a few, and a whole lot are neither here nor there for me. If my appearance in this thread was "predictable," your position and presence in this thread are as well.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 05:34 PM   #63
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Ah, but I was, as usual and predictably, provoked.
------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
MOST MUSIC after the beatles was and is influenced by the beatles, either directly or indirectly, which is kind of like saying "people like Picasso more when they have not seen other art" when every bit of "other art" after Picasso is either influenced by, or a direct confrontation of, Picasso.

This is nice. Too bad Savage Cape and the Beatles-bashers have such issues with simply getting real.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 05:34 PM   #64
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I Want You (She's So Heavy) is the greatest song in the world

the problem with the above statement regarding loving the beatles or zepplein when you have not heard that much other music is that MOST MUSIC after the beatles was and is influenced by the beatles, either directly or indirectly, which is kind of like saying "people like Picasdso more when they have not seen other art" when every bit of "other art" after Picasso is either influenced by, or a direct confrontation of, Picasso.

I'm not talking about influence at all. I couldn't possibly care less whether or not a band that I like was influenced by the Beatles. What it comes down to is that said band IS NOT THE BEATLES, which is the important thing here, seeing as how I do not like the Beatles. And just because the Beatles were so darn popular, it doesn't mean that everything that came after them was a direct result of the Beatles. There were other bands around at the time, you know, as well as before that.

And for the record, Motley Crue's version of Helter Skelter is much better than the original. I've said it before, and not once has it been a joke.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 05:47 PM   #65
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Your opinion is quite ridiculous.
Old 12.27.2006, 05:58 PM   #66
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
I'm not talking about influence at all. I couldn't possibly care less whether or not a band that I like was influenced by the Beatles. What it comes down to is that said band IS NOT THE BEATLES, which is the important thing here, seeing as how I do not like the Beatles. And just because the Beatles were so darn popular, it doesn't mean that everything that came after them was a direct result of the Beatles. There were other bands around at the time, you know, as well as before that.

And for the record, Motley Crue's version of Helter Skelter is much better than the original. I've said it before, and not once has it been a joke.

cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 06:03 PM   #67
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
hahahaah!!!! Motley Crue, my favorite band from age 11 to age 14.
their version of helter skelter sucks ass, so does their version of anarchy in the UK

Looks that Kill though, that is a great one.

hey luxinterior. you should go make an informal poll of all your favorite acts and ask them if the beatles were an influence.

just you wait.
Old 12.27.2006, 06:17 PM   #68
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
I'm capable of liking a band, independent of them being influential or influenced by a band i like. What counts, is the music, and only the music. Everything else comes second. It may be matter of interesting debate, but not of the question, whether I like the music or not.
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 06:25 PM   #69
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulasch Noir
I'm capable of liking a band, independent of them being influential or influenced by a band i like. What counts, is the music, and only the music. Everything else comes second. It may be matter of interesting debate, but not of the question, whether I like the music or not.

You are obviously a juvenile attention whore with an axe to grind and an agenda to push, seeking to provoke certain board members in an effort to draw them into your little circular arguments which are, incidentally, written in a style that would not pass muster when held up to scrutiny by MLA standards.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 06:36 PM   #70
Better_Than_You
the destroyed room

Better_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's assesBetter_Than_You kicks all y'all's asses
Revolution Number Nine was a bomb ass song.

Better_Than_You is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 06:39 PM   #71
Malachi_Constant
bad moon rising

Malachi_Constant kicks all y'all's assesMalachi_Constant kicks all y'all's assesMalachi_Constant kicks all y'all's assesMalachi_Constant kicks all y'all's assesMalachi_Constant kicks all y'all's assesMalachi_Constant kicks all y'all's assesMalachi_Constant kicks all y'all's assesMalachi_Constant kicks all y'all's assesMalachi_Constant kicks all y'all's assesMalachi_Constant kicks all y'all's assesMalachi_Constant kicks all y'all's asses
Any time I come into contact with the number 9, in one form or another, I have a tendency just to drone "numba nine, numba nine" because of that song. Lame little personal in-joke.
Malachi_Constant is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 06:48 PM   #72
The Man With The Plan
little trouble girl

The Man With The Plan kicks all y'all's assesThe Man With The Plan kicks all y'all's assesThe Man With The Plan kicks all y'all's assesThe Man With The Plan kicks all y'all's assesThe Man With The Plan kicks all y'all's assesThe Man With The Plan kicks all y'all's assesThe Man With The Plan kicks all y'all's assesThe Man With The Plan kicks all y'all's assesThe Man With The Plan kicks all y'all's assesThe Man With The Plan kicks all y'all's assesThe Man With The Plan kicks all y'all's asses
It pains me to say this, but some of you ladies and gents are quite stupid.

The Man With The Plan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 06:51 PM   #73
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
They have a few songs I like, a lot of songs that bug the shit out of me (I'm looking glaringly in your direction, Sir Paul) and a lot of songs I am indifferent to.
I am not a big Beatles fan. The only Beatles-related album I have ever sought out to purchase in my adult life is George's Wonderwall album, and aside from that all I have is a copy of Magical Mystery Tour that I have had since I was 5. I will not diminish their contribution to music, but I also think people shouldn't really be criticized when they say that the music of The Beatles simply doesn't speak to them in any meaningful way. This is the camp I fall into. They are valid and they achieved something significant, but the fact is that their music just doesn't DO IT for me about 90% of the time. I'm sorry. It does not speak to me and even if it did, the overexposure one gets to their music in general society just by simple cultural osmosis is more than enough for me, and I do not ever feel the need to listen to this stuff at home for pleasure. Not ever.
The thing that bugs me is the whole "sacred cow" status they have gotten, where you aren't allowed to criticize them for writing a horrible, annoyingly catchy or overly sappy song like "Ob La Di, Ob La Da" or "Hey Jude" because they were so "significant to the development of the rock idiom."
I know they were significant. BB King was significant too, but that doesn't change the fact that the guy can't play any chords, can't sing and play at the same time, and his music simply doesn't do anything for me on any level. I am simply not into it. To put it simply, one does not NEED to be a Beatles fan or to enjoy their music in order to be a well-informed person with valid aesthetic opinions and a wide range of knowledge regarding Rock Music. When someone says they are not a Beatles fan, it is no different than not being a Pixies fan or a Dino Jr fan or any other band. It just means they don't get into that music. The Beatles have gotten to be like Jesus Christ is to Christians or Darwin is to scientists; you're not allowed to criticize their so-called "perfect vision" for fear of being labelled a myopic rube who has no clue about the "foundations of all the modern music you hear today."

It is perfectly OK not to dig the Beatles. It doesn't diminish what they did in any way, it just means that maybe you know what you like, and that doesn't happen to be this particular band's output.
Word!Case closed.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 07:54 PM   #74
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi_Constant
Any time I come into contact with the number 9, in one form or another, I have a tendency just to drone "numba nine, numba nine" because of that song. Lame little personal in-joke.
Same here. I used to always order the fish fillet combo meal from McDonalds, it was number nine. Funny coincidence
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 08:33 PM   #75
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
not jumping into the pool with piranhas wearing hot sauce, but i will say this

most music historians will proclaim every album from please please me to let it be as a 5 star classic, but not every one of the 12 originally released albums is a 5 star classic
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 08:34 PM   #76
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari

Your opinion is always correct.

I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
hahahaah!!!! Motley Crue, my favorite band from age 11 to age 14.
their version of helter skelter sucks ass, so does their version of anarchy in the UK

Looks that Kill though, that is a great one.

hey luxinterior. you should go make an informal poll of all your favorite acts and ask them if the beatles were an influence.

just you wait.

Their version of Helter Skelter is fabulous. Their version of Anarchy in the UK really blows. There is a difference between being totally fabulous and really blowing, and you would do well to become familiar with that difference.

I already said that I do not care whether this or that band was influenced by the Beatles. You could trace back influences further than the Beatles, it's not like they're the beginning of music, or rock & roll for that matter. That's why all this talk of influence is completely pointless. Everything that you've ever heard eventually shapes what you sound like when you make music, both good and bad. Basically, you want to be good in the same way that the good stuff you listened to was all good. And you want to avoid being bad like the bands you've heard that were bad.

I'm not going to start a poll about my taste in music and its supposed direct relation to the Beatles, because I'm not a self-centered jackass.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 12.27.2006, 08:37 PM   #77
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue

That is so cool. I wish I could rep you.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 12.28.2006, 04:41 AM   #78
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
You are obviously a juvenile attention whore with an axe to grind and an agenda to push, seeking to provoke certain board members in an effort to draw them into your little circular arguments which are, incidentally, written in a style that would not pass muster when held up to scrutiny by MLA standards.

I don't remember being involved in any argument on this board. You? But then again, I'm not sure, if i understood, what you powerfully eloquent wrote, because I had to use the dictionary to translate it. Dear Savage "hostility" Clone.
Old 12.28.2006, 09:05 AM   #79
atari 2600
invito al cielo

He was being sarcastic, GN.
Funny, I was about to write: "Do you really think he'll get your sarcasm?"

The other thing was a typo.

Rubber Soul is greatness.
Old 12.28.2006, 09:41 AM   #80
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
He was being sarcastic, GN.

I'm not sure ...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth