Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page TORONTO 30/06/09 Setlist..what a fucking surprise.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.01.2009, 02:19 AM   #21
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywellington
I can get into hearing the new recored too, I am just not sure they need to play 12 of them, how about 8 even 10 and throw the crowd a couple bones?

you're listening to the wrong band, i'm afraid. (or at least seeing the wrong band on tour for their new album)

another great set! for some reason i still don't think of 'death valley' as a rarity (probably cuz they closed EVERY show with it in 1998, which seems like just yesterday) but i guess it kinda is. cool!

and even if it's not my favorite new tune, i'm glad 'thunderclap' is in the set now. at least the middle is awesome!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 02:27 AM   #22
lukin
bad moon rising

lukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asseslukin kicks all y'all's asses
Holy shit! Death valley 69!!!!
I thought they would just playing the songs they played in Europe, but now PCH,Chaotic block and Death valley 69.
I wonder what more they will bring on Cotton crown is not impossible
lukin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 02:38 AM   #23
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
wow, Death Valley '69, that's kind of unexpected.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 05:47 AM   #24
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
death valley 69, awesome!

it's funny, just a few days ago when i heard it on some compilation i was thinking "they should start playing that one live again", but it's a big surprise to see them actually doing it. i hope it's going to be a regular on the setlist.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 05:52 AM   #25
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
DV69! Sweet.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 06:00 AM   #26
Gang Of One
empty page

Gang Of One has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
you're listening to the wrong band, i'm afraid. (or at least seeing the wrong band on tour for their new album)

another great set! for some reason i still don't think of 'death valley' as a rarity (probably cuz they closed EVERY show with it in 1998, which seems like just yesterday) but i guess it kinda is. cool!

and even if it's not my favorite new tune, i'm glad 'thunderclap' is in the set now. at least the middle is awesome!

Same here, death valley is not a rarity for me neither.
I hope they will play all of the eternal in Paris and maybe a 'real' surprise like something they haven't played for 20 years.
I love them to play the new songs, that's why i've caught them on tour for every record since Washing Machine (except for Rather Ripped)
Gang Of One is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 06:59 AM   #27
negative8ball
bad moon rising

negative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's asses
I can see both sides - it would be nice to hear some old favs... but with an album as strong as The Eternal, it's also hard to complain.

I heard some guy outside after the show say to his friend "I didn't know a single song they played... that show was AWESOME" - and I think that sums it up. You may WANT some of the hits - but the show is so good, you can't REALLY complain if you don't get any...

And, since I've (sadly) missed them up until now, I'm glad my first proper show was for an album as strong as The Eternal (instead, for example, of having my first show be a setlist loaded with Rather Ripped tracks...
negative8ball is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 08:55 AM   #28
Perfume-V
empty page

Perfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's assesPerfume-V kicks all y'all's asses
I'm glad they played The Eternal in its entirety especially since they played Thunderclap. I never realized it was their first time playing until reading this thread. She is not Alone was pretty intense when Thurston's vocals came in. He sounded so good on that track. All the none Eternal songs were excellent though the concert could have used more Lee tracks.
Perfume-V is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 09:02 AM   #29
the red terror
empty page

the red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gang Of One
I love them to play the new songs, that's why i've caught them on tour for every record since Washing Machine (except for Rather Ripped)

I feel the same. I've seen them every tour since Daydream, and sometimes two or three times per tour. I went to see them play a university basketball gymnasium in Rochester when they were "rehearsing" for the Washing Machine/Lollapalooza tour, and nobody in the audience knew any of the songs, and it kinda thrilled me. It reminded me of my hard-on high-school fantasies about seeing Jimi Hendrix play new material for the very first time, live in performance, and getting my "virginity" popped.

So I've made it a habit ever since - I don't listen to the new SY albums until I've heard the songs played live first. It makes for an odd experience, because sometimes I shrug my shoulders, then days later get the record, listen to it, and go, "Oh, yeah, that one ... hey, what was I thinkin', this is farkin' great!" It keeps me coming back to every tour, because I'm getting an entirely new show, and the performers make it worthwhile by delivering the goods. So, kudos to SY.

I was at the show last night. I think it may have been the first SY show for me with an "assigned seat number" since the Neil Young/Goo tour in '91. Very strange to thrash and rock out to DV'69 sitting in a seat, and truthfully, I didn't think the famed Massey Hall sound was much better than the Kool Haus (where the sound has improved over the past decade, but it's old reputation preceeds it).

The best audio I've ever heard at SY shows, funnily enough, were of the cowherd monster truck variety - Lollapalooza in '95 at Molson Park, Barrie (Washing Machine); and Osheaga Festival in Montreal (Rather Ripped).

Seen 'em maybe 20 times, and I'd rate this one somewhere in the middle.

Highlight: probably seeing Thurston sitting on a stool playing an acoustic guitar. I did see him play acoustic guitar at a solo gig he did at a church in Boston circa '97 or '98 (during a hurricane), but I don't know that I've ever seen him play an acoustic guitar, and certainly not sitting down on a stool, for a Sonic Youth show.

Mystery: Kim introduced the song as a "Neil Young" cover. I don't know anything off The Eternal, and I didn't recognize it as a Neil song, so she was bullshittin' me, right?
the red terror is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 09:20 AM   #30
negative8ball
bad moon rising

negative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's assesnegative8ball kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah - it was Massage The History... a very weird introduction...

And I thought the sound was pretty good, I was making more of the snap of Steve's drums out than I usually do at other bands' shows at The Kool Haus - though I was closer to the stage than I usually am at a non-seated venue (short, hate fighting crowds, usually drift to the sides around the middle) - so it may have been illusory.

Was it just me, or did Thurston seem a little annoyed last night (like whe Lee was trying to show him that some fan had thrown a Germs armband on stage as they went into Thunderclap, and Thurston just wanted to get on with it)?
Old 07.01.2009, 09:22 AM   #31
LunarTunes
empty page

LunarTunes has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
^She was bullshitting you. It was "Massage The History" [EDIT: Oops, already answered]...

The show was fantastic! I haven't seen SY live since '98 so it was nice to see 'em again. "Thunderclap..." sounded great. They didn't do the "Whoa-oa" vocals, just the leads. And "Anti-Orgasm" almost fell apart at one point but they pulled it back together quickly. "DV '69" was certainly a welcome finale. I hope i won't have to wait another 11 years to see them next (even though it was entirely my own fault)...

Peace.

EDIT 2: Yes, I thought Thurston got a little pissy at that point, too, and really wanted to get the next song started. The days of long breaks between songs are long gone...
LunarTunes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 09:40 AM   #32
mindbomb
little trouble girl

mindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's assesmindbomb kicks all y'all's asses
Hey! I was at the show last night to in Toronto. You may recognize me in the green shirt and hat in the very back top row area. Anyway, Kim is hot, Lee played amazingly he's one of my favourite musicians. I thought the opening band was pretty good to. The girl in the band reminded me of an old girlfriend somehow and I liked her moves. I gotta say, now that one of you guys mentioned it I'm kinda glad they did not play any Geffen material. I bought and the grey Eternal shirt but it only came in girls small once I finally went to buy one. That kinda pisses me off and I wish I got a mens large instead. I was not going to settle for the Hendrix and others shirt. I did get the stickers for $5 though.
mindbomb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 09:52 AM   #33
the red terror
empty page

the red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's assesthe red terror kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by negative8ball
And I thought the sound was pretty good, I was making more of the snap of Steve's drums out than I usually do at other bands' shows at The Kool Haus -

Drums were good. Guitars okay. Vocals were mush.

Having said that, the audio did improve towards the latter half of the program.

At least it wasn't nearly as bad as the awful sound at same venue for Dinosaur circa '95.
the red terror is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 10:16 AM   #34
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Was this shot by anyone on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojRgNfBRR4g

Saw DV69 at my first ever SY show. Nice trip back.
Old 07.01.2009, 10:30 AM   #35
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Okay, I'd forgotten why I don't enjoy 'Death Valley' live (as much as most of you, it would seem!) until the 'Walls Have Ears' version w/ Lee singing Lydia's part randomly (!) came on the ol' digital jukebox...and that's why...it's a duet! And they haven't played it as a duet since 1985!

Does anyone agree? Is the crowd supposed to sing Lydia's part or something? Don't get me wrong, it sounds fine and most of the tension of the original recording is still there, but I guess I just don't see why they don't take advantage of it...? Especially now that every song in the set is a fucking duet! Ha! Ha!

EDIT: Okay, in classic idiot form I posted that before I watched the Toronto vid. Holy shit!!!!!!! Now THAT gets me excited!!!!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 10:31 AM   #36
negative8ball
bad moon rising

Wow - nice video (for what it is)...
Old 07.01.2009, 10:34 AM   #37
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
^^ amazing rendition of a classic song. Audience goes apeshit on first chords. Greatness.
Old 07.01.2009, 11:26 AM   #38
UsedName
empty page

UsedName has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I thought the show was absolutely amazing and I was thankful for every song they played us. I honestly could have could have listened to them all night long.

Not sure about all you who wish to hear diamond sea, but IMHO there were several diamond sea-esque moments last night...like when they played transitions between song elements it seemed like the stars and planets of the universe would align to give us a perfect moment. I feel quite privileged to have heard that show last night.

Highlights:

- The very first song was beautiful, loved the minimal sound of it.
- Not sure what song it was, maybe thunderclap but it was a really melodic song and was so immensely beautiful...my eyes were tearing up.

....now where is that Evol record.....gotta dig that one out again!
UsedName is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 11:51 AM   #39
ltzasz
empty page

ltzasz has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I was up on the balcony. Am I the only one who thought the sound was really bad? I mean, they sounded great and everything, but I couldn't hear the vocals that well. Everything was cranked up in the mix (especially Steve's bass drum) and the vocals sounded pretty drowned. I'm not sure how it was on the lower levels, but I couldn't hear the vocals unless Steve's drumming was kept to a minimum. Death Valley was fucking bad ass.
ltzasz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2009, 12:05 PM   #40
eternal1
empty page

eternal1 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
This was my fourth SY concert and I too was in the Balcony and agree that I could barely hear the vocals...Kim was almost literally drowned out for me.

Musically it was amazing but shame about the vocals. Weird really all the other 3 shows on previous tours didn't have this issue.
eternal1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth