Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page travel
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.20.2006, 01:29 PM   #1
cheguevara6
empty page

cheguevara6 has tongues queuing up for a rim-festcheguevara6 has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Traveling

Hi, over the summer I am thinking of traveling across the u.s. Lived in Oregon my whole life, and want to see other places. Movies like Easy rider and midnight cowboy, and books by Kerouac describe my mindset. I am feeling as the character did in the song America “Kathy, I am lost though I knew she was sleeping, I am empty and aching and I don’t know why”.

I want to visit Berkeley, Haight, Madison etc…

I have limited funds, and want to stay in hostels and stuff, stay as cheaply as possible.

Unfortunatly I wanted to do the discovery pass on greyhound, 30 days unlimited bus trips, but that is 520 bucks.

Anyone have any tips for a traveler like me. This is my first time traveling across the u.s.

How do I live and stay cheaply at these places? Are there any hostels that are free?

How about food?

In all the movies I watch or books I read about the sixties, I feel I was born 40 years too late. If I was feleing lost, disillusioned and angry in the 60’s, I could just take off, and head for the haight and I would have a place to stay, thousands of kids were running away.

Now it seems harder, I feel uncomfortable trying to hitchhike, I worry, and it just seems so ridiculous, that it costs so much to travel these days.

I just want to get away, I am feeling upset and angry over the war, and how our world seems to be crumbling as we speak.

How does a hippie like me, survive for the summer on little to no money? Where does one find the cheapest food? Shelter?

How did the people in the 60’s do it?

How do you current hippies do it?
cheguevara6 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 01:30 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
sell yourself at street corners to cover the fare
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 01:35 PM   #3
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i am travelling accross the u.s. starting next tuesday. all i can say is plan as much as you can and save as much as possible.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 01:45 PM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
hah, ok, now a serious response--

traveling with no money sucks. saving is good. hippies suck, that's why they went extinct. and no, you can't hitchhike like back in the day unless you're willing to offer your ass as payment. well, actually it's illegal to hitchhike in some states. but you can always sweet-talk a husky truck driver in gas stations (hah hah).

however, where i live (the southwest u.s.) hitchhiking is pretty common. you see it all the time.

here's my advice: get yourself a bank account with an atm/visa check card. get a summer job & save a little cash.

set out on the road.

when you arrive to the next town, get yourself a job. find out where the immigrants line up for dayjobs. make a little money, move to the next town.

when you are fed up, or sick, or too hungry, use your bank balance to buy yourself a ticket home.

i've done it and i've seen it done and i swear it works.

there is a book or there used to be one called "work your way around the world" or something like that. dishwasher, construction, agricultural, there are all kinds of jobs you can do. but if you want to just be a lazy hippy, there is such thing as the homeless shelter...ripe with diseases.

anyway i hope you have fun!

--
hm, check out your local youth hostel for books & information. & buy a money belt.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 02:20 PM   #5
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I left home for experience
Carved 'Suk For Honesty' on my chest

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth