Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VI
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.27.2017, 10:58 AM   #861
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I'll just throw this out: I feel really dumb listening to music meant for clubbin' when I'm sitting home alone. I'll grant that Kanye makes the most sophisticated music meant for the dance floor, but it's still just music meant for the dance floor.

I'm referring to only certain tracks, of course.

In that respect, he reminds me of Brian Wilson: spending a lot of time and genius on something that probably doesn't warrant so much time and genius.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2017, 11:00 AM   #862
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
If I squint and turn my head, I can sort of accept the blatant sexism found in a lot of hiphop. But I really can't excuse away the homophobia. That may not speak well of me. Not sure.
Old 11.27.2017, 08:01 PM   #863
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
If I squint and turn my head, I can sort of accept the blatant sexism found in a lot of hiphop. But I really can't excuse away the homophobia. That may not speak well of me. Not sure.

No homophobia in any Kanye tracks. Sexism abounds, of course, but like Tupac it’s juxtaposed with a reverence for women. Which makes it no less insulting, just more conceptually interesting.

I can’t do homophobe hip-hop. Not anymore. Can’t squint past it. No sir.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2017, 08:05 PM   #864
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'll just throw this out: I feel really dumb listening to music meant for clubbin' when I'm sitting home alone. I'll grant that Kanye makes the most sophisticated music meant for the dance floor, but it's still just music meant for the dance floor.

I'm referring to only certain tracks, of course.

In that respect, he reminds me of Brian Wilson: spending a lot of time and genius on something that probably doesn't warrant so much time and genius.

I disagree. I don’t think Kanye’s music is “for the dance floor.” Even patented dance tracks, like the nightmare nuclear winter flashdance of “FADE” really sound like they belong in a club.

I think he makes headphone music. But I appreciate your Brian Wilson comparison, and I dig your “most sophisticated” line. Feel like someone who previously didn’t get it finally gets it. Just like, who once TOTALLY didn’t get it, got it like crazy when the best kicked in after the piano drone on “Runaway.”

Some Kanye tracks are for the club, sure. Most aren’t. Even the singles that sound like they should be, like “Stonger” and “Power” are in fact packed with tracks on tracks on tracks, and tweaked into sonic eardrum perfection. I’d rather listen to thy shit by myself in my car than with ANYONE.
Old 11.27.2017, 08:38 PM   #865
evollove
invito al cielo

Well, that's your call. Best guess is he's going for both the dance floor and the car speakers and the headphones.

I was joking when I wrote Kanye sucked. So much so, that I realized I didn't know his work at all and picked some up. So I'm not really converting. Just learning.

Second, it was the second track "Gorgeous" that made me think My Dark was going to be a great album. Maybe it is. But that's still my favorite and the rest either doesn't grab me or isn't my thing, although I appreciate it all. (Hey, kinda like Brian Wilson.) I'm a little bored until I hear Aphex Twin and John Legend meet each other. But I've only listened to it three or four times.

Also got YEEZUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
No homophobia in any Kanye tracks.

I can’t do homophobe hip-hop. Not anymore. Can’t squint past it. No sir.

I meant generally, not him.

I was probably thinking mostly of Nas, actually, blemishing Illmatic.

"Halftime"

Versatile, my style switches, like a faggot
But not bisexual

Hm. Now that I see it written out... Leaves a bad taste taste in the mouth for sure, but I've heard much worse. And he's renounced the lyric since.

Bigger sin is everyone's beloved Tribe.

https://genius.com/A-tribe-called-qu...-porgie-lyrics

Cuddly Q-Tip raps:

Walking in the ville with them long dreadlocks
But on the DL, getting done up the butt box
Oh my God how gross can one be
Well anyway, better him than me
Old 11.27.2017, 11:27 PM   #866
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well, that's your call. Best guess is he's going for both the dance floor and the car speakers and the headphones.

I was joking when I wrote Kanye sucked. So much so, that I realized I didn't know his work at all and picked some up. So I'm not really converting. Just learning.

Second, it was the second track "Gorgeous" that made me think My Dark was going to be a great album. Maybe it is. But that's still my favorite and the rest either doesn't grab me or isn't my thing, although I appreciate it all. (Hey, kinda like Brian Wilson.) I'm a little bored until I hear Aphex Twin and John Legend meet each other. But I've only listened to it three or four times.

Also got YEEZUS.

Let it sink in. “Gorgeous” is without question one of Kanye’s best tracks as far as “rap songs” go. Thing is, a lot of his songs aren’t rap. But “Gorgeous” is certainly the best song after “Runaway.”

Yeezus will take some listening. Let it work for you. Give it a solid chance. It becomes somehow *more* over time. Sounds a bit disparate at first, but all things considered, I reach for it more often than I reach for MBDTF.
Old 11.28.2017, 11:21 AM   #867
Severian
invito al cielo

Geanmy nominations are in. Ugh. Again. Of course Kendrick and Jay are up for Album and Record of the year (as well as Best Rap Album, naturally) and Jay is up for song of the year for... the title track from “4:44” of all things... which is a weird choice, but whatever.

Some strange choices for album of the year aside from those... like freaking Childish Gambino? I mean, I guess some folks thought it was OK, but... huh? And then Bruno Mars, who is terrible but will probably win.

Big and/or on-topic categories:

Quote:
Album of the Year
Childish Gambino - "Awaken, My Love!"
JAY-Z - “4:44”
Kendrick Lamar - “DAMN.”
Lorde - “Melodrama”
Bruno Mars - “24K Magic”

Record of the Year
Childish Gambino - “Redbone”
Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee ft. Justin Bieber - “Despacito”
JAY-Z - “The Story of O.J.”
Kendrick Lamar - “HUMBLE”
Bruno Mars - “24K Magic”

Song of the Year
“Despacito” (Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee ft. Justin Bieber)
“4:44” (JAY-Z)
“Issues” (Julia Michaels)
“1-800-273-8255” (Logic ft. Alessia Cara, Khalid)
“That’s “What I Like” (Bruno Mars)

Best Rap Performance
Big Sean - “Bounce Back”
Cardi B - “Bodak Yellow”
Kendrick Lamar - “HUMBLE.”
Migos - “Bad and Boujee”

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration
6LACK - “PRBLMS”
Goldlink ft. Brent Faiyaz, Shy Glizzy - “Crew”
JAY-Z ft. Beyoncé - “Family Feud”
Kendrick Lamar ft. Rihanna - “LOYALTY.”
SZA ft. Travis Scott - “Love Galore”

Best Rap Song
“Bodak Yellow” (Cardi B)
“Chase Me” (Danger Mouse ft. Run the Jewels, Big Boi) Kendrick Lamar Duckworth, Asheton Hogan “HUMBLE.” (Kendrick Lamar)
“Sassy” (Rapsody)
“The Story of O.J.” (JAY-Z)

Best Rap Album
Kendrick Lamar - “DAMN.”
Migos - “Culture”
Rapsody - “Laila’s Wisdom”
Tyler, the Creator - “Flower Boy”
Old 11.28.2017, 11:30 AM   #868
Severian
invito al cielo

Here’s what will win:

Album of the year: Lorde - “Mellodrama”
Record of the Year: Bruno Mars - “24K Magic”
Song of the year: Bruno Mars - “That’s What I Like” (worst thing since aids)

As for the rest, who knows. I expect Kendrick will get shafted because his album is too edgy and violent sounding at times for Grammy voters. Jay will probably win because everyone will think — justifiably — that this is their last chance to honor a great Jay-Z album, because he probably won’t make another.

Kendrick’s too young. Too new. Besides, I wouldn’t *want* DAMN. to be recognized by the music industry establishment. Kinda weirded out that it’s even nominated for the big award.

* Note: Kendrick is now in Kanye circa-2007 territory, where he has released three albums, each of which have been the best or close to the best of their respective year, and each of which have been nominated for Album of the Year at the Shammys. Like Kanye, I think Kendrick will be stuck in the “only wins the black people awards” category, and will go 0 for 3 despite very obviously being the best option available.

OR... The Grammys will make a conscious stand against Trumpmerica... but I think not. Jay Z is safer for white people at this point, and he’s achieved Beck circa “Morning Phase” status in terms of aging into classicdom. He’ll probably steal the show for the rap categories.

Shrug.
Old 11.28.2017, 04:29 PM   #869
Severian
invito al cielo

Wow.

No nominations for “We Got it From Here... Thank You For Your Service”
Old 11.28.2017, 06:27 PM   #870
evollove
invito al cielo

-Yo! Where's my white people? Why can't we get some love? Grammy's a bunch of fuckin' racists.

-Funny. "Humble" is probably my least favorite Kendrick song.

-Did you see Q-Tip go off on Grammys?

https://www.instagram.com/qtiptheabstract/
Old 11.28.2017, 10:06 PM   #871
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
-Yo! Where's my white people? Why can't we get some love? Grammy's a bunch of fuckin' racists.

-Funny. "Humble" is probably my least favorite Kendrick song.

-Did you see Q-Tip go off on Grammys?

https://www.instagram.com/qtiptheabstract/

I didn’t realize “We Got it from Here...” was a THIS GRAMMY YEAR album, so I thought it had won some stuff last year.

Should have been up for Album of the year.

Need a new Grammys.
Old 11.29.2017, 04:27 PM   #872
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know why Q-Tip cares so much.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2017, 04:39 PM   #873
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
cuz the Grammy people asked Tribe to perform last year just after Phife died, and he thought their latest LP should have been nommed.
Old 11.29.2017, 05:15 PM   #874
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
cuz the Grammy people asked Tribe to perform last year just after Phife died
Oh yeah, forgot about that.
Old 11.29.2017, 06:15 PM   #875
louder
invito al cielo

I realized anyone can be a successful rapper nowadays. Lyrics don't matter, flow doesn't matter, voice doesn't matter. It's all about the image: just look as edgy, obnoxious and loud as possible. An extroversion contest.

HOW TO BE A RAPPER 101 - THE STARTER KIT:

- crazy colored long hair (preferably dreads)
- random piercings and face tattoos everywhere, as many as possible
- does drugs
- wears chokers and bracelets
- dark ripped homeless clothes or just shirtless, accompanied by a bag from your favorite brand name
- BONUS POINTS if you hold a gun

Works if you're white too.

Old 11.29.2017, 09:34 PM   #876
Severian
invito al cielo

^ gross.
Old 11.29.2017, 10:29 PM   #877
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
The Lil Peep thing is absolutely stupid. No idea how someone can be deemed cutting edge when it sounds just like everything else. The whole emo + hip hop thing is not genius or trailblazing. 808s & Heartbreak is emo + hip hop and that was almost a decade ago.

Yeah it’s sad when someone so young dies but I’ve met a lot of people like Peep. I grew up in Florida where it’s cool and “romantic” to do pills and be sad. It is not cool and should not be rewarded. I almost guarantee that if half the people who have been eulogizing met the kid they’d think he was a scumbag

I listened to good kid mad city yesterday. I’m still shocked something like that got so popular. I’m with Rob a bit - sometimes i just want to bump something nasty sounding. Who am i to judge what people say in their music. But a lot of trap stuff doesn’t try to be anything than what it is. It makes me sick when shit like lil Peep gets lauded as some grand artistic statement.

What happened to Lil B?
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2017, 10:34 PM   #878
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Y’all are gonna hate me to for saying MBDTF is not all it’s craxked up to be. Give me 808s or Yeezus any day of the week over it.

Sorry I’m a bit tipsy and in a hip hop mood.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2017, 05:27 AM   #879
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
^ gross.
DOOM tried to warn us about it for years and no one was listening.
Old 11.30.2017, 10:22 AM   #880
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
Y’all are gonna hate me to for saying MBDTF is not all it’s craxked up to be. Give me 808s or Yeezus any day of the week over it.

Sorry I’m a bit tipsy and in a hip hop mood.

Nah, no hate. I mean, obviously I disagree, but as long as you recognize the brilliance of 808s and Yeezus... you good. As far as I’m concerned, “808s > MBDTF” or “Yeezus > MBDTF” are both perfectly respectable arguments.

Me, I think MBDTF is the best. There truly isn’t a single not or lyric that’s out of place. So, if we’re talking about what’s best, that’s it. It’s more than it’s cracked up to be.

BUT... I reach for Yeezus and Pablo more. I reach for Late Registration more even. I reach for 808s less, I think, but still ... when I do, it wallops the fuck out of me.

No hate bro. Perfectly respectable opinion.
414243 44 454647 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth