Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café VI
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.09.2017, 12:16 PM   #321
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Ok, how I feel about SY does have quite a bit to do with how I feel about Kim Gordon, who was pretty civil to Nard in the interview I'm thinking of, if I remember correctly.

Love Kim.

Gotta say, though, I've been kind of on the fence about Thurston as a person for a while now. It's not just the Kim stuff, and the stuff relating to the divorce. It's other things too. He shared his "Cease Fire" video, like, no shit, fucking FIFTY times or something on Facebook. And I hate that "ironic cool-guy crooner" voice thug he does where it just sounds like he's making fun of other singers' self-seriousness and has been doing it for so long that he's no longer in on the joke. He does this in the interview I'm thinking of also. When he has nothing to say. And it's fucking stupid and childish and not even a little bit funny.

I think he's matured a bit (damn well should have by now, since he was almost my age when he did that '91 interview... Jesus!) and that's reflected in his political views. But he's also kind of a perpetual child, and that's also reflected in his political views -- or, rather, how he chooses to express them (calling people "nazis," speaking only to the people who already agree with him, not seeking any meaningful paradigm shift in political and social discourse.)

But yeah. I love Kim. And I love Lee too. And Steve. Thurston's music is still golden, but as a guy, despite being perfectly friendly and charming in person, he's not a great role model.
Real. It's mainly Thurston being the "problematic" one in the group with his immaturity.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2017, 12:22 PM   #322
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
It's been 20 years since Biggie was shot today.. so let's have a moment for a legend and one of the greatest rappers of all time. Gone but never forgotten. Both of his albums have aged like fine wine, and rappers still bite his rhymes on their albums to this day (Meek Mill, I'm looking in your direction).
Old 03.09.2017, 07:10 PM   #323
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
It's been 20 years since Biggie was shot today.. so let's have a moment for a legend and one of the greatest rappers of all time. Gone but never forgotten. Both of his albums have aged like fine wine, and rappers still bite his rhymes on their albums to this day (Meek Mill, I'm looking in your direction).

Eminem too. Whether he wants to admit it or not, his whole style is heavily influenced by Biggie.

Jay Z, of course, even though he was in a sense almost a peer of Big's (or so he likes to think...).

Freddie Gibbs. Listen to "Deep" from Pińata and tell me that kind of tell-tale hood rap narrative wasn't inspired by Big.

Joey Bada$$ for sure.

ScHoolboy Q to an extent.

There's no question about it, big is among the greatest and most influential emcees of all time.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2017, 07:23 PM   #324
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I get what you're saying. Nardwuar is an annoying dude, however his interviews are somewhat interesting because they show you a different side of the artist's personality, as they can really expose whether they're prone to anger issues and have a big ego.

I understand Thurston and Lee's frustration, but they really crossed the line when they acted like schoolyard bullies, which is inexcusable. Nas even called him "a fucking psycho", but at least he kept his cool which I respect a lot. Anderson .Paak just kept smiling and remained humble and chill throughout, even when Nardwuar tried to embarrass him.

Yeah, no excuse for the bully shit. But I think that video is more of an embarrassment to Lee and Thurston than to anyone else, including Nard.

In fact, it's hard to tell if Nard isn't in on it. They weren't actually hitting him, and he totally went along with it. But... they broke his LP and acted like douchebags.

Thurston grabbing the mic and trying to sound irreverent and "I-don't-give-a-fuck" while he said that thing about "I don't drink and I don't fuck, but something something..." Then he kind of laughs at his own "in your face" punk irreverence (which is pathetic) and looks around to kind of nervously see if anyone else is laughing (nobody was -- not even Lee... just silence). Man, that she was Fucking EMBARRASSING.

And he was at least in his early 39's at the time. 32? Something like that. That's fucking BAD man. That's fucking REALLY BAD.

But hey, they're still my favorite band of all time, and they always will be (unless Kanye West goes totally releases 20 more years of perfect albums). I can handle the embarrassment.

I'm embarrassed by a lot of Kurt Cobain's interview behavior. Those aimless slacker kids had no idea what to do in front of a camera if they weren't playing music back then. Krist Novoselic too. Wow. Lots of embarrassing stuff from him.

Comes with the territory.
Old 03.10.2017, 09:11 AM   #325
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
fuck nardwar. that shit sucks. he sets himself up to be ridiculed. fuck him. SY for life.
Old 03.10.2017, 09:37 AM   #326
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
fuck nardwar. that shit sucks. he sets himself up to be ridiculed. fuck him. SY for life.

Yes, SY for life, and yes, The Nard sets himself up for ridicule (and ridicules his interview subjects like crazy out of the corner of his mouth and under the guise of some weird kind of played-up pseudo-autism that's kind of insulting and fucked up)

BUT... that doesn't justify the way Thurston and Lee acted in the '91 interview. They could have just ... I don't know ... not done the interview. Or Thurston could have run away right at the start. Or they could have said "wow, can you give us some space?" and if he didn't, I'm sure some security douche on Young's detail would have removed Nard from the premises.

Instead, they acted like sub-Neanderthals. Index finger penis joke? Really? Shirt over the head? Really? I swear to god, I knew bullies in high school with more imagination.

My take on shit like this is: unless you feel that the safety of you or someone you care about or someone who is defenseless is being threatened, there is no justification for laying your hands on someone else. Certainly not someone who is interviewing you with your permission, and who you KNOWis going to act a certain way.

Now, that guy calling Kim K. a "nigger-lover?" The fact that he was laid out doesn't really bother me.
That wouldn't be MY reaction to someone saying that about MY significant other, but I'm a white nerd, so my reaction would probably be "whaaaaaaaaaaat? Fuck you man! You're weird and that makes zero sense, but I still don't like it!"
I imagine the word sounds a lot like a threat to a black person, and as I said before, my code allows for putting up dukes when someone is threatened.

So, yeah, SY for life. But Thurston and Lee were still sub-moronic douche bags to Nard, and the whole thing made them look insecure and VERY stupid.

Kim came across just fine if you ask me. So did Steve. I highly doubt Lee would resort to that shit at this point in his life. Thurston might, if he was dealing with someone who didn't, like, brush and gargle with Bernie Sanders' cum every morning.

Calling out members of SY being jackasses at times does not negate or have any bearing on whether or not SY is "for life" (they are.) There you go again, with your inability to separate art from art-maker. Thurston and Lee being assholes in '91 doesn't make Daydream Nation any less awesome.
Old 03.14.2017, 09:44 AM   #327
Severian
invito al cielo

Joey Bada$$ - All-AmeriKKKan Bada$$

Second studio LP. Due out April 7. This is cool, right? Lame title, but fuck it, I'll take what I can get as far as 2017 hip-hop goes.

Old 03.15.2017, 09:28 AM   #328
Severian
invito al cielo

I thought new Joey Bada$$ would help out some asses in the seats.

What's up y'all? This is like the least active hip-hop thread ever.

How long has it been since we last listed our favorite hip-hop albums of all time? Eh? That could be a fun, bonding experience. Eh?

Or, since the 2010s are ⅘ of the way over, maybe it's time to start talking about our favorite hip-hop albums between 2010 and now. Might be good to re-evaluate some of our decisions over the last few years, and see if, y'know, 12 Reasons to Die and My Name is my Name and Summertime '06 still hold up like we thought they would.

... I miss us, you guys.
Old 03.19.2017, 01:15 AM   #329
louder
invito al cielo

Sorry dude, I've been a little depressed and it kind of took away my enjoyment of music.

But now I'm listening to More Life and it's better than VIEWS.
Old 03.19.2017, 10:30 AM   #330
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Sorry dude, I've been a little depressed and it kind of took away my enjoyment of music.

Hm.

I don't think I'm even going to attempt that shit. Not even the Kanye track. I just can't do Drake. At this point he's become so offensively bad -- so emblematic of everything I despise -- that I am straight-up rooting against him. Like, I actually hope he doesn't get better. I hope he doesn't become a legitimately talented artist.

How petty is that? I'm such a dick! But really, he's so awful. I feel so bad for his producers. If someone gets a kick out of "Hotline Bling," more power to them, but I just CAN'T. EVEN.

In some other cases, with other terrible music acts, sometimes I can, at least a little bit. Like, I can have Katy Perry's "Roar" stuck in my head and not be pissed about it.

But with Drake? I just CAN'T. EVEN.

ETA: I watch New Girl sometimes, and apparently saying "I can't even," like, means something.
Old 03.20.2017, 10:02 AM   #331
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Ok. I like the production on "Glow." I can tell Kanye did some of that shit. In fact I'll bet I could tell you exactly which portions were "40" and which were Kanye. It's a decent track. Too bad it has Drake's crooning ridiculousness all over half of it.

The production is dope though.

Still hate Drake. His voice is obviously "better" than Kanye's —Kanye struggles to hit notes when he's not auto-tuned, but it still sounds so much better to my ears than Drake, who always sounds like he just swallowed a bunch of his own jizz. (Gross I know, but true.)
Old 03.20.2017, 10:15 AM   #332
Severian
invito al cielo

I can't believe he's singing about "girl I know we're hot and heavy" on that next track. What the fuck man. Is Drake so millennial and under-30 that he doesn't know that "hot and heavy" became universally known as a stupid-as-fuck thing to say back in the '90s, thanks to a little show called Seinfeld and Elaine's idiot jazz musician boyfriend?

Old 03.21.2017, 04:16 AM   #333
louder
invito al cielo

Yeah.. it's definitely not great. Let's face it, Drake is a pretty bad writer. His use of British and Jamaican slang words is contrived and corny as hell. But at least More Life is slightly more bearable than VIEWS, for some reason.. maybe because the production is more vivid, due to less "40" on it (he was only credited on a few songs). I'll try and listen to it a couple more times until it wears off.
Old 03.21.2017, 04:23 AM   #334
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Ok. I like the production on "Glow." I can tell Kanye did some of that shit. In fact I'll bet I could tell you exactly which portions were "40" and which were Kanye. It's a decent track. Too bad it has Drake's crooning ridiculousness all over half of it.

The production is dope though.

Still hate Drake. His voice is obviously "better" than Kanye's —Kanye struggles to hit notes when he's not auto-tuned, but it still sounds so much better to my ears than Drake, who always sounds like he just swallowed a bunch of his own jizz. (Gross I know, but true.)
It only proves what we already knew - a Kanye and Drake collaborative project would've been terrible.
Old 03.21.2017, 04:28 AM   #335
louder
invito al cielo

My favorite song so far is "Passionfruit", maybe because it doesn't really sound like a Drake song.
Old 03.21.2017, 10:19 AM   #336
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
My favorite song so far is "Passionfruit", maybe because it doesn't really sound like a Drake song.

I like "Glow" quite a bit. Especially that glitchy sample that fades in and out, and the breakdown at the end. But I do not like anything Drake contributes to the track. Nothing. Next to Kanye's adorably strained vocals, his wankery sounds like Bieber. He's such an ear-rapist. I used to only hate the sound of his voice when he was singing. Now I hate just everything about it. "Rapping," talking...

fuck, I even hate he way his voice sounds in my head when I'm reading his lame ass Instagram posts and interviews.

I feel an overwhelming sense of skepticism whenever he talks or sings about women, or being in relationships, because somehow it seems unfathomable to me that any woman would be interested in him. Let alone women who are in law school or whatever. High school girls... maybe.
Old 03.24.2017, 09:26 AM   #337
Severian
invito al cielo

UHH... you guys?

I think Kendrick Lamar is dropping a new album in a couple weeks.

He just released a new song — best rap song of the year so far, easily — titled "My Heart Part 4," in which he calls out Donald Trump by name, and says, "Y'all got 'til April the 7th to get ya'll shit together."

April 7 is a Friday.

Oh, he also drops this bomb:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendrick Lamar
"I put my foot on the gas, head on the floor
Hoppin' out before the vehicle crash, I'm on a roll
Yellin', 'One, two, three, four, five,
I am the greatest rapper alive'
So damn great, motherfucker, I've died
What you hearin' now is a paranormal vibe"

Old 03.24.2017, 09:27 AM   #338
Severian
invito al cielo

Old 03.24.2017, 09:34 AM   #339
Severian
invito al cielo

Here, check it:

Kendrick Lamar - "My Heart pt. 4"
Old 03.24.2017, 01:58 PM   #340
louder
invito al cielo

This is exactly what we needed bro. I'm sooo excited.

Heart Pt. 4 is really good shit even though it's essentially just an appetizer. Really hope to hear more soulful production like that first beat on the album.
141516 17 18192027 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth