Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.18.2018, 12:12 AM   #22621
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Said the dude watching Van Damme both ironically and non-ironically?

Also, there are simply too many “comic book” movies to avoid watching them. Fuck’s sake, I haven’t even seen Infinity War or Deadpool 2 yet and I still feel bludgeoned to death by comic book movies after catching up with the ones from late 2017/early 2018. Fuck.

Nah, personally I've done pretty well. I see trailers and discussion after discussion blah, blah, blah and there's not an iota of interest in them. Honestly, and this may make me sound like a snob but so what, they've done more harm to the film industry than any other genre.

You could look at it and say "well the 80s had it's good awful action films" (even though they were great) and you'd be right, but as symbols said, there's no middle ground anymore and fucking manchild comic book movies are one of the main reasons for that. Whenever I see a grown ass man walking around with a marvel bag or tshirt or whatever I tell myself they need to get a grip. Suckered into cheap ass merc like children.

Worst thing is, I can't see it changing. You had the reaction of the young uostart directors in the late 60s/70s, then the same again in the early 90s and I just don't see that happening now.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2018, 08:47 PM   #22622
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Nah, personally I've done pretty well. I see trailers and discussion after discussion blah, blah, blah and there's not an iota of interest in them. Honestly, and this may make me sound like a snob but so what, they've done more harm to the film industry than any other genre.

You could look at it and say "well the 80s had it's good awful action films" (even though they were great) and you'd be right, but as symbols said, there's no middle ground anymore and fucking manchild comic book movies are one of the main reasons for that. Whenever I see a grown ass man walking around with a marvel bag or tshirt or whatever I tell myself they need to get a grip. Suckered into cheap ass merc like children.

Worst thing is, I can't see it changing. You had the reaction of the young uostart directors in the late 60s/70s, then the same again in the early 90s and I just don't see that happening now.

As long as you understand that Nolan’s Dark Knight movies are not truly of this genre and are therefore not part of the problem, I totally agree.

Still love watching shit like Ragnarok. Fun stuff. Dumb fun stuff.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2018, 08:02 AM   #22623
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I miss R Rated adult action and comedy films.
Old 06.19.2018, 08:04 AM   #22624
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
In the 6+ hours of running time in all the Nolan movies the Batman did not one single bit of detective work. Instead, he engaged in self-justified mass-surveilance of the citizenry. fascist. Fuck Nolan. He ruined Batman and made him a mopey lisper
Old 06.19.2018, 11:22 AM   #22625
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
another good bio docu seen recently

What Happened, Miss Simone?

another somewhat tragic life, a great talent, pianist as well as vocalist. Marred by a marriage to a guy who helped her achieve, yet was a manipulative abuser. Some nice concert footage and interviews.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4284010/
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2018, 01:55 PM   #22626
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
In the 6+ hours of running time in all the Nolan movies the Batman did not one single bit of detective work. Instead, he engaged in self-justified mass-surveilance of the citizenry. fascist. Fuck Nolan. He ruined Batman and made him a mopey lisper

Posed as a criminal to learn about criminal operations
Literally did ballistics analysis on bullet holes
Found Selina Kyle
Predicted Joker’s targets

Just y’know for instance

Also detective shit doth not a good movie make. Only one facet of Batman’s mythology
Old 06.19.2018, 02:23 PM   #22627
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

Also detective shit doth not a good movie make.

Humphrey Bogart disagrees
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2018, 02:35 PM   #22628
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

detective shit is like one of the PILLARS of film
Old 06.19.2018, 06:01 PM   #22629
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
detective shit is like one of the PILLARS of film

Bitch it’s barely one of the pillars of Batman, bitch
Old 06.19.2018, 07:08 PM   #22630
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I enjoy my manchild comicbook films personally.
Old 06.19.2018, 07:11 PM   #22631
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
and here goes yet another page of comic movies serious business and while the hilarity exists it’s just such a waste of breath in the end.

this is exactly what i was talking about ha ha.

anyway i’m off to another post to talk about gloomy, overwrought arthouse “films” so that i can feel oh so adult in my choices

but no, seriously, i like adult responses to adult problems and complications. not just that they help me live... i also can relate.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2018, 07:20 PM   #22632
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
ssssoooo.... i’ve paused filmstruck for the duration of the world cup (though i might restart it before the end) and the last thing i was able to catch was a merchant/ivory gig, THE WHITE COUNTESS (2005)

i was of the impression that merchant/ivory films had gone the way of the 90s but no, they seem to still have endured into our century though i haven’t checked how far.

ANYWAY. james ivory directed. ralph fiennes and natasha richardson star. fiennes everybody knows about. natasha richardson i didn’t fucking know and i’m sorry i didn’t and i’m even sorrier she’s dead. i knew of her reported death but i didn’t know who she was at the time except for “the wife of... has died” etc etc

so. the white countess. it’s a kazuo ishiguro script, apparently an original one and not derived from a book.

while this should be all about the writing, in itself the movie is a bit thin on plot— there’s a lot of brooding, and subtext, and looks into space, and overwrought arthouse shit and sometimes just cheesy shit for the tourists. this is bothersome.

but there is a plot after all, and it’s a very good one— it’s about war war 2, and failure, and fear of living, and epicurean gardens, and... the shanghai russians! whom i knew nothing about until the weekend. the shanghai russians were white russians (lookit up, it’s not a racial thing) taking refuge in china post-bolshevik revolution. that was a bit of history i had never heard about. and it was great to find out.

anyway it was a good movie and i liked it. made me thinkof what would i do in case of war, since it seems to be one around the corner for some reason. made me think of the fragility of epicurean gardens. made me think of what would i have to realistically do to survive if i had to flee. etc etc. but anyway, yeah, good little story, a bit of cheesy moments, but o well, it’s merchant fucking ivory, what do you want? a chunk of cheese is the price of admission. still, worth it.

oh, the other good thing about the movie, besides the actors and the bit of history thrown into it and the plot after all, is the cinematography by christopher doyle, who does all the wong kar-wai movies, or has done most of them anyway, not sure. is this his best film? sure as shit not. is it fucking good? yes yes it is. does it at time serve cheesy moments? yes, okay, yes, it does add to the lard at times. but the man is a real fucking pro. admirable work. as always.

okay children, you can get back to discussing CAPES for fucs sakes.

i had a batman scooter when i was 3, i recall.

not a rosebud though. don’t miss it.
Old 06.19.2018, 09:38 PM   #22633
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Let's all return to the discussion of serious cinema...Howard The Duck.
Old 06.19.2018, 09:46 PM   #22634
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113

Ha!

In all seriousness sev you need to see Infinity War before spoilers get to you .
Old 06.19.2018, 09:50 PM   #22635
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
i’ve never seen that

wazzit abowt?
Old 06.19.2018, 10:18 PM   #22636
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i’ve never seen that

wazzit abowt?

A duck named Howard

almost beastiality

80s camp

Jeffrey Jones being creepy

Technically a comic book movie by Marvel...32 years ago.

Howard the character has appeared in both Guardians of the Galaxy movies, from my understanding
Old 06.19.2018, 10:33 PM   #22637
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
almost beastiality
oh! hmmm....

Quote:
Howard the character has appeared in both Guardians of the Galaxy movies, from my understanding
let’s just... not go there xD xD xD
Old 06.20.2018, 04:18 AM   #22638
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
ok. real movies. Let's discuss the two best Dutch movies ever made!:
New Kids Turbo (2010)

New Kids Nitro (2011)

go watch them. Right now!

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2018, 06:07 AM   #22639
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Ha!

In all seriousness sev you need to see Infinity War before spoilers get to you .

It’s not in the theater near me anymore. Already gone. I’m pretty familiar with the comics so I can guess at some of the big shit that happens.
Old 06.21.2018, 10:50 AM   #22640
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh shit wrong thread bha ha ha
632103210821122112911301131 1132 113311341135114211821232 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth