Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page the anti-christmas thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.23.2009, 08:36 PM   #141
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
And less of the SuchFriends hating people. He's one of the good guys.

no, I know. I just bring up that particular instance a lot cause I think it's funny and appropriate for this thread/conversation.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2009, 08:37 PM   #142
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
How does a lack of belief in something (atheism) require faith?

simply because you cannot gather evidence about the existence or non-existence of a higher spiritual intelligence. in other words, we don't know shit. we need faith in our beliefs to claim we know something.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2009, 08:39 PM   #143
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
simply because you cannot gather evidence about the existence or non-existence of a higher spiritual intelligence. in other words, we don't know shit. we need faith in our beliefs to claim we know something.

Old 12.23.2009, 08:40 PM   #144
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i mean i hope that doesn't happen to me. but it has before.

lack of tolerance really gets jesus mad.

Old 12.23.2009, 08:41 PM   #145
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You're still wrong. You don't need faith to NOT believe in something. Indeed you cannot prove a negative, but lack of proof doesn't mean faith. I don't believe in a god because there is not one shred of evidence that a god exists. But I wouldn't say that there is definitely not a god because you can't prove a negative. Faith doesn't come into it.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2009, 08:42 PM   #146
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Quote:
You're still wrong. You don't need faith to NOT believe in something. Indeed you cannot prove a negative, but lack of proof doesn't mean faith. I don't believe in a god because there is not one shred of evidence that a god exists. But I wouldn't say that there is definitely not a god because you can't prove a negative. Faith doesn't come into it.

you must spread some butter on someone else's toast before putting it on pookie's again.
Old 12.23.2009, 08:52 PM   #147
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:

faith in your belief, that´s what I meant.

if you believe you are right despite proof, that is an act of faith rather than an empiric belief based on evidence.

not believing in God in the religion-sense does not necessarily mean you're an atheist by the way.

regardless, none of us have the slighest clue why we're here or what happens when we die. so any explanation we can come up with is mere speculation that requires a certain amount of faith in the speculation itself.

while you say there is no evidence that god exists, a lot of people think there is. we see the evidence or the lack of evidence we want to see. we're still human and highly vulnerable to our own suggestion.

when one starts defending their atheism with such stamina, they resemble a radical religious to me.

truth is, we don't know anything, each one of us can believe whatever we want.

Old 12.23.2009, 08:55 PM   #148
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
faith in your belief.
(Presuming you're talking about atheism): once again atheism is a LACK of belief.

Quote:
not believing in God in the religion-sense does not necessarily mean you're an atheist.
Yes it does.
Old 12.23.2009, 08:56 PM   #149
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
"Atheism" is a purely oppositional position, it just means what it says. Its not a worldview on everything, it says you dont believe in any of the Gods that people have conceived. If you think thats fundamentalist, you dont know how to use words.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2009, 08:58 PM   #150
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
"Atheism" is a purely oppositional position, it just means what it says. Its not a worldview on everything, it says you dont believe in any of the Gods that people have conceived. If you think thats fundamentalist, you dont know how to use words.
I think you're right. Knox (as much as I am slowly falling in love with her) is getting her words all cock-squiff.
Old 12.23.2009, 09:01 PM   #151
knox
invito al cielo

No, I used to think so. I don't really believe in God, or the bible or any religion or that someone resembling a human being created the earth or any of that, and I used to think that made me an atheist but it doesn't.

There is too much in the universe I can't explain for me to consider myself worthy of knowning anything about it. But that's me.

You might think atheism is a lack of belief. but I think it's still a belief attempting to bring us an explanation for our deepest questions. None of us can prove or disprove any belief efficiently.

Like I said, if you start defending atheism with such certainty, to me, it begins to look as close-minded as an extreme religious person.

Old 12.23.2009, 09:02 PM   #152
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think you're right. Knox (as much as I am slowly falling in love with her) is getting her words all cock-squiff.

Knox needs to get knocked. And i think you may be the man for the job Pookie

Old 12.23.2009, 09:04 PM   #153
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
if you define atheism as a lack of belief there's no faith involved, but for example satan said there's obviously no god, which is a belief,
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2009, 09:04 PM   #154
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
You might think atheism is a lack of belief.
That's what it IS. Look in a dictionary and it will say Atheism: a lack of belief.
Old 12.23.2009, 09:06 PM   #155
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
if you define atheism as a lack of belief there's no faith involved, but for example satan said there's obviously no god, which is a belief,
Not IF you define, THAT'S WHAT IT IS!!!!!
Old 12.23.2009, 09:06 PM   #156
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult

You are right. I really am talking about MY definition of the word.
Like I said, lately I started believing that rejecting all explanations provided by religions does not necessarily mean that one does not have spirituality.

I guess what I am trying to say is that personally I find these discussions very strange. I can live with not knowning. I feel it'd be overestimating myself to say there is or there isn't.

And whatever I tend to believe at a certain time, I will avoid voicing it as if I know the truth.

Old 12.23.2009, 09:06 PM   #157
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
That's what it IS. Look in a dictionary and it will say Atheism: a lack of belief.

a⋅the⋅ism
[ey-thee-iz-uh

m]–noun 1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God. 2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2009, 09:07 PM   #158
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I think a lot of this problem is that a lot of people, some atheists included, take atheism to mean the same thing denying metaphysics.

This may be projective of me, but I believe that the agnostic position is a refusal to describe metaphysical reality. Thus, theism and atheism is a 'who know' game.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2009, 09:07 PM   #159
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
No, I used to think so. I don't really believe in God, or the bible or any religion or that someone resembling a human being created the earth or any of that, and I used to think that made me an atheist but it doesn't.

There is too much in the universe I can't explain for me to consider myself worthy of knowning anything about it. But that's me.

You might think atheism is a lack of belief. but I think it's still a belief attempting to bring us an explanation for our deepest questions. None of us can prove or disprove any belief efficiently.

Like I said, if you start defending atheism with such certainty, to me, it begins to look as close-minded as an extreme religious person.

Jesus, how dare I have a concise point. Atheism assumes nothing about the big questions of the Universe, it just says that assuming there is a creator behind it all is irrational and premature because theres no evidence to suggest exactly that. Its a lack of belief in one thing and one thing only; Gods as proposed by man.
You may dislike this or disagree with this, but the one thing its not the equivolant of is belief in Gods

Old 12.23.2009, 09:08 PM   #160
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
You are right. I really am talking about MY definition of the word.
You can't have your own definition. It doesn't work like that. Anybody would be saying anything and you would be the only person who knew what you were talking about.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth