Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What are you playing?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.03.2010, 09:39 AM   #3421
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
al, my wife placed a Gamestop order worth of xmas presents for me yesterday -- so hopefully Bangai-O Spirits will be under my tree.

I've been playign Tempest via Atari Anniversary (GBA) - you can actually change the screen orientation to vertical, and put yr lcd on its side baby (thru GB player of course) and then it's even more accurate to the arcade original. so sweet.
Old 12.04.2010, 04:15 AM   #3422
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
just played Super Mario World 2 on SNES at a friend's house. twas pretty awesome.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2010, 08:00 AM   #3423
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
al, my wife placed a Gamestop order worth of xmas presents for me yesterday -- so hopefully Bangai-O Spirits will be under my tree.

I've been playign Tempest via Atari Anniversary (GBA) - you can actually change the screen orientation to vertical, and put yr lcd on its side baby (thru GB player of course) and then it's even more accurate to the arcade original. so sweet.

I want YOU to play my levels

One is called "7 Chambers of Death" its manageable, I played through it once. afterwards I was exhausted, so it really functions well!

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.04.2010, 09:24 PM   #3424
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Old 12.04.2010, 09:32 PM   #3425
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
playing with myself

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2010, 12:15 AM   #3426
noisereductions
invito al cielo

yeah bitches

I bet 1942
Old 12.05.2010, 12:21 AM   #3427
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2010, 02:06 AM   #3428
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I came home for lunch from work. I'm going to play HEART OF DARKNESS for 30 minutes. I'm addicted to this underrated game. If you enjoy flashback, out of this world, prince of persia, etc.... well, wait, if toy even SKSBR ejt stee'

er uhhh

IT'S GREAT

Old 12.05.2010, 02:10 AM   #3429
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Fighting Force 64 is one of those games that I wish spent just a little more time in development. The frame-rate can get pretty laggy at times, and there are times where you'll be pissed at just how long it may take your character to pick up an item - yet at the same time, the title is very reminiscent of greater beat 'em ups like Streets of Rage 2 or even many NES favorites, with the A and B buttons being the most commonly used. Still, the environments are fun, using the Z button in combination with A or B works well for special moves, the combat is highly addictive, and using a gun to shoot your enemies in the face right before chucking your pistol at them never gets old. Plus, the blood is a nice touch. It's not a classic, but I'll be damned if I'm not having a great time kicking ass in this.

Super Mario Kart is of course a classic. Not my favorite in the series, but it was the first of the Mario Kart titles that I had ever played, and it still stands up damn well, even against technically superior entries in the series. Double Dash!! is king though, no doubt about it.
Old 12.05.2010, 02:13 AM   #3430
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Oh yeah, and...

Old 12.05.2010, 02:40 AM   #3431
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Fighting Force 64 is one of those games that I wish spent just a little more time in development. The frame-rate can get pretty laggy at times, and there are times where you'll be pissed at just how long it may take your character to pick up an item - yet at the same time, the title is very reminiscent of greater beat 'em ups like Streets of Rage 2 or even many NES favorites, with the A and B buttons being the most commonly used. Still, the environments are fun, using the Z button in combination with A or B works well for special moves, the combat is highly addictive, and using a gun to shoot your enemies in the face right before chucking your pistol at them never gets old. Plus, the blood is a nice touch. It's not a classic, but I'll be damned if I'm not having a great time kicking ass in this.

and now.. asp's I'm-on-my-lunch-break-and-bored-so-here's-some-useful-info-and-musings-on-the-N64.

Yeah, it's.... well, I dunno, I liked Fighting Force 2 a lot more, and the PlayStation version of FF is a lot better than the 64 one. Those games were very average though certainly better than many of the recent beat em ups like urban reign and beatdown (though not as good as the now-classic GOD HAND). Joe, I really really REALLY reccomend you download Panzer Bandits for the PS1, burn it, do the simple little as hell swap trick (assuming you have at least one real PS1 game you can put in). You will be blown away by that game; my favorite beat em up ever. Once I learned the ps1 swap trick, I went NUTS getting games. Just to be able to have INTELLIGENT QUBE and GUNNERS HEAVEN (which is like Gunstar Heroes -- ON ACID) and INTERNAL SECTION and ADVENTURES OF LITTLE RALPH (my favorite 2D game of all time) was worth it. Here's what you do:

- download a game.. go to emuparadise. .bin and .cue files are what you usually get. Sometimes the game will be in .ecm format. You need a freeware program -- which is on emuparadise -- called pakiso. Drag the .ecm file to something in pakkiso called unecm.exe. Boom. SOMETIMES, the cue file is fucked up.. so, double click the .cue, open it with notepad, and make sure the cue that is being executed is the name of the .bin file. Also, make sure the .cue and the .bin are the same thing. This sounds complicated but it's not. Use Nero or any other burner where you can burn a disc image. Double click the .cue. It executes the .bin. Boom.

- If you have a fatty PS2 (the slim one is supposedly even easier to do the trick on but I only have a fatty), I had to rip the door off of mine.. but you probably don't have to.. anyway... make a card.. I used an old walmart ID.. but you can use an old credit card.. anything.. preferably plastic.. cut off a little rectangle, so the card is an L...

- Practice makes perfect. The idea is to replace the game without hitting eject. What you do is put the L card under the disk tray and you pull on it. You will feel something to pull with the L-Card. So, you pull. And it pulls thew disc out. Simpl;e as pie. THIS WILL NOT DAMAGE YOUR SYSTEM. I have done this literally a thousand times now. You are activating the same mechanisms that are activated when you hit the eject button -- you're just not, y'know, HITTING THE EJECT BUTTON. It may seem clunky and weird at first, but I can do this trick in about half a millasecond now.... so practice practice..

- Put your ORIGINAL NON-BURNT PlayStation 1 game in. Wait for the Playstation logo to pop up. Put your L-card under the tray. NEVER HIT EJECT. EVER. Pull the tray out. Take the original official ps1 game out. Place the burnt game in. DO NOT HIT EJECT... just use your fingers to push the tray back in.

Wait 5 seconds.

Voila -- game will come up.

You now have access to 4,600 (!!!!!!!!!) ps1 games.

Including tons and tons and TONS of shmups.. (ohh, get Einhander and Thunderforce V and R-Type Delta and DONDONPACHI and X2: NO Relief and ZanacXZanac!!!!!!!). Also, the greatest selection of rpg's ever. Also, amazing niche games lke irritating stick (which is like 2mb.. weird) and some cooking simulators and silent bomber and trap gunner and all sorts of explosive action games and lots of weird 2d games that went unpublicized.

Games will save just fine if you have a working ps1 memory card in slot # 1.

Anyway.. panzer bandit was the first game I got, I think it was like 60mb. It ruled.

Certainly, fighting force 64 was a strange port... I remember EVERYONE was like "okay, neat, fighting force 64, can't wait for tomb raider 64." And, well, it never happened. The analog control scheme and the n64's many many buttons would have actually made Tomb Raider work pretty good. But they dropped the ball. It would've probably been the best looking and with the cartridge format, you could have a) saved without accessing the disk and without accessing the memory card and b) the atmospheric as hell music was streamed from redbook audio, not .. you know .. looping off of a cd... this is the most underrated thing a cartridge does and only nintendo and maybe treasure ever seemed to do anythingi nteresting with it.. with cartridges, you could change the music INSTANTLY to suit the situation, without a disc having to load the sound.

A few examples:

a) In Mario World, when you get Yoshi, and the music instantly gets a, like, bongo or whatever, playing over top of the regular music. Lose yoshi, lose the bongo or whatever the fuck it was. with a PlayStation game, the original music would have had to have stopped completely and then a new music track loaded for that to work. Clunky and time consuming, eh?

b) In MARIO 64, there are parts of levels where the music wil lchange.. like, in the water level.. as you get closer to the water, the music gets more ambient and spacey... fits the music perfectly.. move away from the water and some of the creatures, and the music goes away...

and so on. Nintendo (and I think Rare, particularly with Banjo Kazooie and Perfect Dark, with some of the atmospheric sounds) used this trick often but no other developer that I can recall used it very often.

I loved cartridges -- still do. No need for a memory card. 64 games had a LOT of fog, but the best games -- the ones by Treasure and Nintendo -- looked AMAZING; Sin and Punishment, Bangai-O, and Mischief Makers were all masterpieces.

The N64... if only Nintendo had released some of the AWESOME Japanese games.. and you know what? If only Capcom would have gotten behind the system and done, say, a Mega Man X for it or something... they released a Mickey Mouse puzzle game and, what, a fucking sloppy port of Mega Man Legends called Mega Man 64? No Square, hardly any Enix, no Capcom, hardly any Konami... sad. What's even sadder is that the DS is by far my favorite system of all time, nothing even comes close, and it's basically a portable N64. I always play DS games, thinking -- aside from the touch screen stuff -- "man, this game COULD HAVE been on the N64." Imagine playing some of those Castlevania 2D DS games on the N64. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck. I'll be honest, I don't like 3D games at all. Zelda benefitted from it. That's about it. I'd rather play a 2D game any day of the week.

I played the Donkey Kong Country for the Wii at my friend's house the other day and it's fun as hell. WAY better than ANY of the DKC's for the SNES. A bit easy but wow. I really recommend this game when it goes down in price (Wii games have a habit of quickly becoming cheap cheap cheap). Why were there really no 2D games on the N64 or the GameCube, for the most part, and there are quite a few 2D games on the Wii? Who knows?

Anyway, my friend got DEATHSMILES and I'm going to play it with him after work:

yay! I'm PUMPED!

BTW, if you get a chance, if you really like beat em ups, you gotta get CASTLE CRASHERS

Like Alien Hominid, it's easily one of the best games ever, especially from an artistic point of view, but it's really really hard at times.

Old 12.05.2010, 05:46 AM   #3432
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

I actually don't have any ps1 titles at the moment, but I definitely will take advantage of that trick eventually.

Old 12.05.2010, 03:38 PM   #3433
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses

Awesome, awesome game. Even better than I was expecting. Been rolling with the Warriors and playing with Steph Curry and Andris Biedrins.
Old 12.05.2010, 04:37 PM   #3434
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian

Awesome, awesome game. Even better than I was expecting. Been rolling with the Warriors and playing with Steph Curry and Andris Biedrins.

Fuck with me real quick. I take my jams so seriously.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2010, 05:27 PM   #3435
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian

Damn I need to get this. Golden State is still good? Excellent. They were MY TEAM on Tournament Edition. I love Jam.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2010, 05:31 PM   #3436
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
sonic 2.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2010, 08:49 AM   #3437
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

D2 has been blowing me the fuck away.

Old 12.06.2010, 09:21 AM   #3438
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
super meat boy
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2010, 10:11 AM   #3439
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

hah, I'm friends with the guy who did this supermeatboy trailer..
http://kotaku.com/5661295/super-meat-boys-meaty-80s-commercial
he is apparently doing a movie based on the game and wants me to help him somehow (he's a huge fan of my movies and is going to do a video interview with me for his blog too). I don't really know much about the game itself though it looks awesome. hIS NAME is James ID. He's such a cool dude! Here's his blog, scroll down to read his stuff about me... http://jamesid.com/

Old 12.06.2010, 10:22 AM   #3440
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Hexcite (GBC) which is totally one of my favorite puzzle games ever. If you never played it, it's slightly hard to explain but you basically have some shapes that you need to fit into various octagons. You play against a computer. Each SIDE of an octagon that yr piece touches is 5 points. But there's a big bonus for completing the ocatagon, so you need to plan to not setup the computer to get a 2 or 3 sided-touch move OR worse, completing an octagon. The game is really brilliant. it's not a fast paced puzzler like Tetris or the likes, it's more of a relaxing thinking game. Like a chess match. y'know? So maybe it's a Logic game more than a puzzle game.I dn't know. But I love it. I am plannign down the road a really big puzzle game blogpost since there's so many great ones on the GB, GBC, and GBA.
122162169170171 172 173174175182222272 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth