Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Mighty Football Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.01.2010, 12:57 PM   #901
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, absolutely and, to be fair, i wasn't really taking an issue with anything you said, just using it as a springboard for another debate which is inevitably only going to be of interest to those constantly being told that the Premiership is the best in the world (which you weren't doing). But yeah, that's an entirely different debate. It is obviously great having good football available on your doorstep, so to speak. although i suppose it's more of a cultural thing than that. It must be a real nuisance for a lot of people in the UK who don't like football in that they are made to feel somewhat marginalised, especially during major tournaments, whereas in the US there's the opposite problem in that there's clearly a fair few real fans of the game, but they likely feel in a bit of a bubble. Hey, maybe the UN should allow free transfer for all football-loving Americans to move to places Rome or Manchester or Barcelona while those in Europe who hate the game can all move to Utah - during the football season, anyway.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2010, 06:00 PM   #902
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
hey, regardless of nationalisms, you get to watch some great games, either in a stadium or on regular TV? i used to go to RFK in DC (it was cheap and it made for a nice afternoon) but the games weren't anything extraordinary. often downright frustrating. and catching english, italian or spanish games or the bundesliga here? there's some kind of secret cable tv deals or something, but i don't get cable. when i saw those man u goals it made me wanna cry, ha ha ha. seriously, no matter who owns the team or what country are the players from you get to see amazing games every week. ah, the jealousy!

That's all well and good, but if its to the detriment of the national side that so many foreign players are signed to English clubs, that's not so good. It smacks of inverted jingoism by the clubs managers.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2010, 11:08 AM   #903
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
A dilemma:

England play Hungary tonight in a friendly. It's their first match since the World Cup and I really want them to lose, only because it increases the chances that Capello resigns if they do. And yet a couple of my friends are calling me ridiculous, saying that I have to want the team I support to win. Just wondering if anyone here has done somethinjg similar, regardless of the team or even the sport.
Old 08.11.2010, 11:33 AM   #904
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
A dilemma:

England play Hungary tonight in a friendly. It's their first match since the World Cup and I really want them to lose, only because it increases the chances that Capello resigns if they do. And yet a couple of my friends are calling me ridiculous, saying that I have to want the team I support to win. Just wondering if anyone here has done somethinjg similar, regardless of the team or even the sport.

when i was in like the 4th grade me and another little geek booed our class team to stir some anger in them, because we thought they played with no desire, and our aim was to get them to grow some balls and put them into their playing, but our strategy was misunderstood by our class compadres and the teacher scolded us later that day. "but that's not what we meant!" we kept saying. story of my life.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2010, 11:38 AM   #905
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, it's thinking long-term. Lose the battle to win the war, and all that.
Old 08.11.2010, 02:53 PM   #906
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
looks like Wilfred Zaha is one to watch this season.
looked good in pre season by all accounts too.

wonder if we'll be able to keep him...
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2010, 02:57 PM   #907
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
A dilemma:

i really dont care about the game tonight.
its pointless and if we win i'll just get cross. If Rooney scores i'll get cross. If Gerard and Rooney play a blinder in this formation i'll get really cross.
If we lose i'm gonna get cross.

only good thing is seeing an ex palace keeper keep a clean sheet
Old 08.11.2010, 04:52 PM   #908
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, I had the same problem, especially watching it in company. As it was they played pretty well but definitely improved without Rooney. Zamora, Adam Johnson and Ashley Young looked decent, as did Walcott. Capello seemed to have gone with what looked like a 4-4-1-1. Frustrating to watch simply because they played better tonight than they managed at any time during the world cup.

There's a definite need to re-think what Rooney's role is and once again Lampard did next to nothing.

Still think Capello has to go.
Old 08.15.2010, 02:24 PM   #909
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Well we started out with the Hotspurs vs. Man City this weekend on the telly.
0-0 tie. Man City didn't look like they cared one way or the other and the Spurs should have won it but Joe Hart was absolutely fabulous in goal to save Man City's bacon. My team Everton lost on of course a bumble by Tim Howard. He'll be on the bench before the year's done. Especially if I have my way. My fantasy team not to bad out of the gate. My goalie screwed the pooch with an own-goal and Nobogia didn't even play and Tevez blew as my captain. Oh well it's exciting to be back. We have Man U and Newcastle on Monday afternoon at 2. I haven't checked out espn3.com but I believe I can catch all the games there.
Old 08.15.2010, 03:05 PM   #910
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Haha, I'm guessing we might have the same goalie.

Yeah, Spurs were all over Man City, by the looks of things. Could've easily been 3 or 4 up by half time. For all the money City have spent, they still don't look like a team to me. And I'm still not convinced by Mancini.

West Ham went down 3-0 to Villa and were lucky it wasn't 6 or 7 nil. It's gonna be a long season for them, I reckon. And yeah, Howard did fuck up, but not as bad as the person who agreed Everton's away kit this season.
Old 08.16.2010, 12:45 PM   #911
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
I'm confused by that last statement Everton's away kit?

Also is the premier league also two separate division? The 8 best from last year make up one league and the other 8 another? Also all the transferring that goes on between teams are there teams that are locked together or is it wide open on who transfers with who?
Old 08.16.2010, 01:19 PM   #912
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
My team Everton lost on of course a bumble by Tim Howard. He'll be on the bench before the year's done. Especially if I have my way.

and especially because your team Everton has bought our national goalkeeper Jan Mucha, which is one hell of a great player, and which will soon replace Howard.

see more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0VkHowCAu8

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2010, 03:25 PM   #913
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka
I'm confused by that last statement Everton's away kit?

Also is the premier league also two separate division? The 8 best from last year make up one league and the other 8 another? Also all the transferring that goes on between teams are there teams that are locked together or is it wide open on who transfers with who?

the premier league is 1 division. It used to be called division 1 but then people got greedy, sky tv started paying big money for tv rights and the big clubs decided to start their own league (kinda).
the bottom 3 clubs get relegated to the Championship (division 2) at the end of the season.

transfers are free in that you can buy from anywhere in the world but you can only buy during the closed season and in january.

the away kit is your strip if your team colours clash with the your oponents. Everton play in blue which is a fairley common colour. For some reason this year their 'away' kit is pink. and pink is all gay and stuff.
Old 08.16.2010, 06:56 PM   #914
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, what Sonicbebs said, basically. The prem can feel like two or even three divisions sometimes though, especially towards the second half of the season, with all the clubs in the bottom third trying to avoid relegation and those in the top half trying to qualify either for the champions league (top four teams at the end of the season) or the UEFA cup (usually those that finish fifth, sixth, and seventh).

You'll hear lots of pundits talk about the 'Big Four', which in recent years has meant Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal, as they almost always finished in the top four places at the end of the season. That's been shaken recently though, with Liverpool having a bad season last year and finishing 7th, and Spurs taking the 4th spot, qualifying them for this years Champions League, along with Chelsea, Manu and Arsenal. Man City have also been threatening to break into the top four, with a rich owner willing to spend silly money on players. Everton and especially Aston Villa have also looked like they might break into it but Everton don't really have the money to go that extra step and Villa have just lost their manager so who knows how they'll do.

The relegation battle, as SB said, is to avoid becoming one of the teams that finishes in the bottom three at the end of the season and so will go down to the Championship league (not to be confused with the Champions League) next season. This is traditionally fought out between the three clubs that just got promoted from the Championship (in this year's case, Blackpool, West Brom and Newcastle) but teams like West Ham and Bolton typically find themselves involved in it too, and many people think Wigan are pretty certain to go down this season.

It sounds more complicated than it is, especially writing it down. It's really easy to pick up, though.

Anyway, early predictions:

Premier League Champions: Chelsea
Top Four/Champions League: Chelsea; Man U; Arsenal; Liverpool
UEFA: Villa; Spurs; Man City
Relegation: Blackpool (even after what happened on Sat); Wigan; West Brom.
Old 08.17.2010, 03:46 AM   #915
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Anyway, early predictions:

Premier League Champions: Chelsea
Top Four/Champions League: Chelsea; Man U; Arsenal; Liverpool
UEFA: Villa; Spurs; Man City
Relegation: Blackpool (even after what happened on Sat); Wigan; West Brom.

i'd go along with that really

I think Blackburn will have a good season. Big Sam (although a Big Cock) has had time to turn his players into Bolton and i think they might be up there challenging for UEFA. And who knows how Villa will do without O'Neil and Milner?
Old 08.17.2010, 03:47 AM   #916
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

on a side note i had Drogba on the bench (for my fantasy football) as he was injured when i picked him. Then i was told about the automatic substitution if someone is injured so thought i'd swap him back, then i forgot and left him on the bench. then he scored a hatrick...
Old 08.17.2010, 01:40 PM   #917
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

So the bottom 3 go into like a club league and top 3 in the club league get promoted up to premier?
Old 08.17.2010, 03:09 PM   #918
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, the top three go up to the Premier league and the bottom three go down to League One. As SonicBebs says, it was a lot more straightforward when it was just leagues one (now the Premier League), two (now the Championship), three (now League One) and four (now League two).

Below that are the various Conference leagues, but you really don't need to worry about them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBebs
I think Blackburn will have a good season. Big Sam (although a Big Cock) has had time to turn his players into Bolton and i think they might be up there challenging for UEFA. And who knows how Villa will do without O'Neil and Milner?

I think Milner leaving is gonna be a bigger blow than O'Neil - who's a decent manager but who strikes me as, up til recently, benefiting from a very spend happy owner. Personally I rate Moyes above O'Neil, who's managed to do wonders with Everton with almost no money. Big Sam always pisses me off; I can't stand him or how he gets his teams playing but I can't deny that he's successful.

The one manager I'm really not convinced by though is Mancini. Considering the money City have to spend he seems to have no clue how to use it to build an actual team. I'd not be at all surprised if Capello walks from the England job, straight into the City one.
Old 08.17.2010, 07:32 PM   #919
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
cant believe that watt has got into trouble when gunter was clearly out for revenge. maybe he will get just a fine but if its leeds it will probably be much worse.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2010, 04:35 AM   #920
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

man, i turn my back for 4 days (beautiful days festival) and we go and sign Edgar fucking Davids!
Edgar............DAVIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
434445 46 4748495696146546 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth