Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Interesting music for a bored guy...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.06.2006, 11:56 AM   #1
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
I was just looking at my musical library on ITunes and I realised there wasn't that many bands or musicians to which I was listening to with genuine interest. I mean SY obviously, maybe a little Radiohead from time to time, often Beck, a jazz album ( Encounter by Misja Michel, really good btw), Deerhoof, Led Zepp occasionaly, the Beatles not so much into it. Otherwise, most of the time i listen to classical music ( scarlatti, schubert, brahms, chopin, debussy to name a few).
But i'd like to ask any interesting music you know of :
i've already tried to get into
- nirvana : it's ok, not much musical diversity
- pavement : I tried a few titles from Slanted and enchanted didn't find them that good : I might have to listen to them again
- The Pixies : I have a 20 track compilation (death to the pixies) that I've been listening to for a year without being blown away at all by any of their songs, maybe due to the overuse of same old rock and roll tricks, kim deal's bass lines sounding the same all the time, Frank Black's inability to sing (or maybe he can he just doesn't want to). Again they're not bad but it lacks inspiration ( listen to ddn or sister and trompe le monde, trompe le monde sounds like an ok rocker that fades with time)
- My bloody valentine I tried loveless supposedly the best thing released in the 90's ( according to Pitchfork ) : i have to admit that I don't get the hype though I tried.
- Weezer : the blue album Sounds like Slipknot or one of them teen bands to me, again so disappointed.
- The arcade Fire : Good surprise very inspired, a lot of good songs on both their EP and LP, even though hipsters looking for indie cred don't like it.

So am I beyond redemption or is there interesting music ( new, old I don't care) that I should give a spin?
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 12:02 PM   #2
L. Ron Hubbard
empty page

L. Ron Hubbard has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
slint.
L. Ron Hubbard is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 12:51 PM   #4
L. Ron Hubbard
empty page

you've probably already heard of them, but if you're into sonic youth, you should definitely check out band of susans, and to a lesser extent, comets on fire. it sounds like you might dig 'em.
Old 05.06.2006, 01:05 PM   #5
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
i've never in my entire life heard a comparrison of weezer to slipknot.
Old 05.06.2006, 01:19 PM   #6
L. Ron Hubbard
empty page

oh my god! I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT ABOUT CHARLES MINGUS. you need to listen to mingus. also, i have been listening to a bit of miles davis lately and i should recommend his "on the corner" record for you. it's pretty repetitive, but makes for good background music if you're at a party and there just so happens to be shag carpeting on the floor and a disco ball in close proximity.
Old 05.06.2006, 01:23 PM   #7
stirling
bad moon rising

stirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's asses
Alan Lamb & Sarah Hopkins - Sky Song
Alan Lamb makes field recordings of steel wires in the Australian outback.
Sarah Hopkins accompanies with extended technique filled improv on cello, as well as whirlies, bells and voice.
This album sounds like a starscape.

Ellen Fullman - Staggered Stasis
Recently reissued after years out of print.
She plays her Long String Instrument by running her rosin-coated fingers along the steel strings lengthwise. There is nothing on earth that sounds like this.
stirling is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 01:31 PM   #8
vacuum noise
bad moon rising

vacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's assesvacuum noise kicks all y'all's asses
stuckometer
vacuum noise is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 01:51 PM   #9
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the ideas guys. I've only heard of Charles Mingus(and Miles Davis off course ) I'll try and listen to others too.
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 03:48 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
maybe you should try such friends are dangerous?

http://www.myspace.com/suchfriendsaredangerous

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 03:48 PM   #11
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
When in doubt I usually just listen to old acoustic blues.
Old 05.06.2006, 03:56 PM   #12
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Weezer sounds like Slipknot? Stupidest comment I've heard all day.

Modest Mouse - Check out the song "Tundra/Desert" or "Life of Artic Sounds".
Arab on Radar - Yahweh or the Highway!
Xiu Xiu/Ten in the Swear Jar/XXL - Try songs like "Apistat Commander" and "Sad Pony Guerilla Girl"
Sufjan Stevens - "Romulus" can make me cry.
Elliot Smith - Either/Or is great
Mates of State - Team Boo is one of the cutest albums ever.
Iron&Wine - In The Reigns
Drive Like Jehu/Hot Snakes - Get Suicide Invoice or Yank Crime
the Unicorns/Islands - Great bands. Diamonds is a genius.
Animal Collective - Yeah.
Death Cab - Overhyped? Yes. Good? Yes.
Old 05.06.2006, 04:17 PM   #13
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
When in doubt I usually just listen to old acoustic blues.
the most compelling, simple stuff is old blues.

my favorites are:
son house
robert johnson
blind willie mctell
blind lemon jefferson

and i've recently been listening to big bill broonzy, bukka white, and charley patton
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 05:07 PM   #14
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
yes! i'm ashamed for forgetting to include him on the list
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 05:10 PM   #15
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Howlin' Wolf is great too...
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 05:33 PM   #16
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
oh yeah mingus is great!!! great song titles too
"all the things you could be right now if sigmund freuds wife was your mother"
based on the chnages of "all the things you are"

check out these-
black saint and the sinner lady
ah um
mingus presents mingus

among many others
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 05:39 PM   #17
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
steve reich either three tales or the cave
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 06:29 PM   #18
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
My favorite is MISSISSIPPI JOHN HURT!!!!
Old 05.06.2006, 07:09 PM   #19
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
Captain Beeeeeeeeeefheaaaaaaarttt!!!!!!
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2006, 07:19 PM   #20
hebbel
little trouble girl

hebbel ain't too shabbyhebbel ain't too shabby
furry Lewis
hebbel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth