Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What covers have your bands played?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.12.2006, 01:36 AM   #1
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
In all the bands you've ever been in, what have they covered

Here is my list (from about 6 different bands, some songs were only in practice, since 3 of these bands have only done one show):

The first band I was in which had no name and I played guitar and sang vocals for:
did one show, no covers

2nd band I was in was called The Silvers- I played rhythm. It blowed, not my fault. Fell apart after one show.
We played one show, I borrowed some kids Stratocaster instead of bringing my own guitar,
Polaris- Summerbaby (the first band to ever play Summerbaby in our town, it is now a staple at shows)
Billy Lee Riley- Red Hot (not sure if we did it live)
Some rockabilly guy- Hot Rocket (not sure if we did this either)
We might have done The Wipers- Telepathic Love, but I can't remember. I remember I taught the lead guitarist/singer how to play it, and his next band did it along with a few of the songs he wrote for the Silvers, but I can't remember if we actually did.

My 3rd band I played guitar and did vocals for, and it was put together for 1 show for fun as was my first band and never really had a name (I think I introduced us as Plan 8 From Outer Space though). We did a 4 song set with 2 covers.
Jesus and Mary Chain- Head On
WIRE- 12XU (just like Summerbaby, is now a standard that people root for at shows, and I was in the band that did first!)

My 4th band I played guitar and did backup vocals for, our drummer (who had been in the first band on bass, and the Silvers on guitar and vocals, and Plan 8 on lead guitar) called the band Snackcakes from Outerspace due to the little debbie/hostess and b-movie nature of our song lyrics, but none of the other bandmembers agreed to that. We didn't even really like the little debbie thing, but he wrote a song and brought it in, and I really hated it but I didn't feel like saying no.
Anyways, we covered
WIRE- 12XU
Furious D- Betty Crocker, Punk Rocker (which our drummer claimed to have wrote, none of us listened to Furious D so we believed him, and then we found out later he was full of shit. I've never been in a band with him since this one)

We tried to continue the band after we decided that our drummer blew, and if we would have, we would have ended up doing
the Buzzcocks- Boredom, because we did it at our last practice

My 5th band (which is still together as I am the only one in it) The Spectral Presence. I'm probably going to add the singer from 4th band on bass soon. He said he'd do it, but is girlfriend is always with him when he comes over. I really love doing the Spectral Presence because not having other members really allows me to write what I really want to write.
My Bloody Valentine- Sueisfine
Joy Division- Day of the Lords (my mom paid me 20 bucks to play it at a show for her, haha)
The Pixies- Cactus
Sonic Youth- Inhuman
I'm doing Gang of Four- Anthrax at the next show

My 6th band (still together) Fake British Accent- I do guitar and vocals. This drummer wanted me to join her punk band because she though I could sing well. I said ok, and ended up doing guitar parts too.
WIRE- 12XU
Misfits- Die, Die My Darling
Ramones- Judy is a Punk (did it at our first show, never again)
Generation X- Kiss Me Deadly (did it at our first show, never again)

My 7th band- Destroyer (still together) for whom I play bass and do backup vocals.
WIRE- 12XU (we did this at a show that FBA wasn't playing and people in the audience were screaming it)
Against Me!- What We Worked For and Baby I'm An Anarchist
The Wipers- Mystery
Polaris- Summer Baby

At our last practice we did Police- Roxeanne, Neil Young- After the Gold Rush, and we also did a 20 minute jam on a White Stripes song

My last 3 bands have broken the 1 show mark - The Spectral Presence has done 7, FBA has done 2, and Destroyer has done 3
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2006, 01:40 AM   #2
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
credit in the straight world - young marble giants/hole
the void - raincoats

there are more but those two the most significantly.
Old 09.12.2006, 01:43 AM   #3
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
John Lennon-Mind Games

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2006, 02:05 AM   #4
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Just about every Misfits song ever....some other stand outs are Love Comes In Spurts-Richard Hell, I Am the Fly-Wire, Andres-L7, Creep-Radiohead, Steppin' Stone-Minor Threat version, Love-->Building on Fire-Talking Heads, We're Not Gonna Take It-Twisted Sister, Pretty Vacant-Sex Pistols, Substitute-The Who, and a bunch of Ramones/Nirvana too. Granted most of these were between 1994 and 2000.
Old 09.12.2006, 04:02 AM   #5
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
my band plays "sounds of the underground" by Girls Aloud.
its fair rockin.
Old 09.12.2006, 05:32 AM   #6
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
my high school band in 2004 played
The Stooges- I wanna be your dog
The Stooges- 1970
The Stooges- Search and Destroy
Black Flag- Wasted
and Wild Thing (i don't know why)

We weren't exposed to much music as we lived in a tourist town.
Old 09.12.2006, 06:16 AM   #7
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
My band in high school did "Forget Your Life" by NoMeansNo.

My most recent band did "Family Style" by No Trend.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2006, 10:25 AM   #8
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onani Nic
my high school band in 2004 played
The Stooges- I wanna be your dog
The Stooges- 1970
The Stooges- Search and Destroy
Black Flag- Wasted
and Wild Thing (i don't know why)

We weren't exposed to much music as we lived in a tourist town.

Don't be ashamed, I was jamming to wild thing inbetween sets with my friend Harry last show.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2006, 10:32 AM   #9
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't played many, my band's doing a cover of Teenage Riot pretty soon.

A while ago I did a cover of Titletrack by Death Cab for Cutie, because that's all my voice allows me to sing. That, placebo, and any of those pop punk bands. I really hate it, I can't sing like any artists that I like, but if I sing with a nasally voice, it sounds accurate to how the "pros" sing it. Death Cab isn't that bad though, I just really despise his lyrics. We Have the Facts is the only album that I can tolerate, but the lyrics still lack complexity. I find they're too straight-forward
Old 09.12.2006, 11:30 AM   #10
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I was in marching band from junior high through high school. My instructors were pretty hip for high school band teachers. They had us play a lot of what was "in" during those groovey times, like the Who, Chicago, and even the Beatles and the Stones. We also played dorkey stuff like the Mission Impossible theme.

Those are the only bands I've ever been in that did covers.
Old 09.12.2006, 12:55 PM   #11
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
I haven't played many, my band's doing a cover of Teenage Riot pretty soon.

A while ago I did a cover of Titletrack by Death Cab for Cutie, because that's all my voice allows me to sing. That, placebo, and any of those pop punk bands. I really hate it, I can't sing like any artists that I like, but if I sing with a nasally voice, it sounds accurate to how the "pros" sing it. Death Cab isn't that bad though, I just really despise his lyrics. We Have the Facts is the only album that I can tolerate, but the lyrics still lack complexity. I find they're too straight-forward

That album is perfect.

FUCKING PERFECT.

Anyone who hates on Death Cab is a fucking moron.
Old 09.12.2006, 02:28 PM   #12
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
We have the facts brings back a lot of old memories, so I like it. I just hate the "OmGZ Im'a Curl up into a corner and cry while listening to Ben Gibbard blurt out love songs!!1!" thing that a lot of people relate death cab to. I really respect Ben gibbard as a person though, especially his project Dntel with Jimmy Tamballero.
Old 09.12.2006, 04:27 PM   #13
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I really can't remember all the cover songs we worked out in the garages, living rooms, basements & practice spaces in my various attempts to either form or join a band as a guitarist, but

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Baby's in Black
Interstellar Overdrive
Purple Haze
I Don't Live Today
Heroin
Like A Hurricane
Light Up or Leave Me Alone
Hang On To Yourself
Problems
Jane Says
Up on the Sun
Kool Thing
About A Girl
In Bloom

I played bass in a jazz band called the BTUs for a few shows. The keyboardist died tragically some years ago. He was a Native American & a big NORML advocate named Joe Ionno and used to play with Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show. Those were the only times I've ever been on a stage in a band. In ever went on any east coast tours with them & I think they still may be around these days. The largest venue we ever played was the Georgia Theater in Athens, We played original jazz mostly, but we did cover

All the Things You Are
&
Subconscious-Lee
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2006, 04:34 PM   #14
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
The Great Catastrophe played almost all White Stripes and Nirvana songs, aside from a few originals and "Passenger" the Iggy Pop song.

On my own I've done Bob Dylan's "Simple Twist of Fate", Sonic Youth's ''Candle" and the dom and I did "I Wanna Be Your Dog"
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2006, 04:47 PM   #15
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
my ex-band used to do really lame covers like smells like teen spirit and when i come around, i tried to get them to do filler by minor threat but never panned out. the better ones we jammed out were this love by pantera, karma police and ain't talking about dub by apollo 440 (basically an instrumental version of van halen's ain't talking about love but with a faster, drum n' bass beat)
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2006, 05:52 PM   #16
John Violence
the end of the ugly

John Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's asses
My old band used to cover "June Bug" by the Melvins. My current band (SONE) can't decide a cover to do live. We have messed around at practice and done "I Against I" by Bad Brains but that's about it. I really want to do a SY or Black Flag cover.
John Violence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2006, 05:57 PM   #17
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
'I dont want to live on the moon' from sesame street.
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2006, 06:56 PM   #18
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Magic Potion by The Open Mind
Guru In The Echo by Ghost
This Is Where You End by Loop
Losing Touch With My Mind by Spacemen 3
Earth Same Breath by Kendra Smith
Fall Apart and Death Is The Martyr Of Beauty by Death In June
One Eye by Current 93
See How We Fall by Sol Invictus
Sleep At The Bottom by Low/Piano Magic/Transient Waves
Blue Skies by Irving Berlin (I hate that song)
Dreamin' Demon by The Birdmen Of Alkatraz
Astronomy Domine and Vegetable Man by Pink Floyd
Ghost Rider by Suicide

probably some more, but that's all I can remember right now...
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.12.2006, 06:58 PM   #19
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
deedeedeedeedeedeedeeedee he's achasin away
Old 09.12.2006, 07:08 PM   #20
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Spectral, you know Destroyer is a band already right? (well.. guy..)
(some one else may have said it.. once i got thru yr post, i felt fulfilled and didn't read what was left.)

Anyways, not so much "band" but "me and mny friend a year or two ago having fun recording tapes of covers". oh shit! i may just have recorded over that very tape. anyways. we did a ton of like, Nirvana and SY and punk and such covers. some notables were My Friend Goo, basically any Nirvana song we did. Vaselines tunes (the ones Nirvana covered... (this was the "nirvana+grunge" phase)

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth