Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Pick the concert I should go to next week
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.28.2013, 04:20 AM   #1
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I bought a new recorder, a Sony PCM M-10 to replace my old iRiver H320. It should arrive on Tuesday. Now I'm looking for a concert to go to next week before the run of Godspeed shows on August 5 - 7. Just to try out the gear. But because of the summer holidays there's not that much going on, most venues are closed, and all bands are playing summer festivals, which I hate going to. So help me pick a concert, I'll hopefully get a nice recording out of it.

Here's the shortlist, see also my last.fm schedule. If you know of some other concert that's not listed, let me know. It needs to be on a drivable distance (so basically anywhere in between Amsterdam, Brussels and Cologne), and between July 30 and August 3:

The Soft Moon at MTC, Cologne on 30 Jul 2013

Zomerparkfeest on 1 Aug 2013

◯ + Red Apollo + Jag Hatar at Aetherblissement, Ehrenfeld on 1 Aug 2013

Micro Festival 2013 on 2 Aug 2013

Donavon Frankenreiter at Luxor, Köln on 2 Aug 2013

...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead + Woven Hand at FZW, Dortmund on 2 Aug 2013

Absolutely Free Festival on 2 Aug 2013

Cold Cave + Holy Strays at Brass, Forest on 2 Aug 2013

Donavon Frankenreiter at Paradiso, Amsterdam on 3 Aug 2013

Monster Magnet at 013, Tilburg on 3 Aug 2013

Suuns at Rotown, Rotterdam on 3 Aug 2013

I don't know any of these bands, except some by name. I would definitely had chosen to go to Woven Hand if they weren't playing the support slot.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
My vote would be to go see Cold Cave......guessing they would be the loudest of the list.

Best of luck with your endeavor!
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2013, 12:18 PM   #3
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
The soft moon are pretty good. Not sure about the rest though...besides trail of dead...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2013, 01:06 PM   #4
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
I've only really listened to Cold Cave so that's who I'd see.... maybe check the others out on youtube first.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2013, 02:12 PM   #5
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
though You Will Know Us are pretty kick ass live.
I listened to the first bit of the recent nyctaper recording (or actually it's an acidjack), judging from what he wrote, it was a good show but I wasn't that impressed of their music. Specially the singer screams too much.
I've been on a Lubomyr Melnyk diet the last week or two though, so my ears act strange.

Still, it's probably either going to be Trail Of Dead or Monster Magnet, last one because it's the least driving distance.

Old 07.29.2013, 05:50 PM   #6
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
Suuns might be quite interesting. nice venue, i've seen the band at Best Kept Secret: was not blown away, but i kept my interest during the show.

the Monster Magnet show is in a really small room (for their standards), so thats pretty cool. Hope you like the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8V0r_sK2fw
I guess a lot of people will appreciate a bootleg of that show.
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2013, 10:32 PM   #7
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Congrats on that new awesome piece of gear (I do love my Sony PCM M-10, and I suspect you will love yours, too!).
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.01.2013, 04:28 PM   #8
_tunic_
invito al cielo

ok, so the choices have narrowed down to either Suuns or newcomer Generationals who are playing at Merleyn in Nijmegen on Saturday.
Monster Magnet and Trail Of Dead are sold out in the meantime, I'm a too slow decider.
Rotown is a nice place indeed, went there once for Wedding Present and accidentally met up with rappard :-)

The Sony has arrived in the meantime, it's tinier than I thought it would be, kind of as large as a smart phone but double the thickness.
Still haven't got a clue which settings to use with external mics and pre-amp...

Old 08.01.2013, 04:41 PM   #9
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Do it.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.03.2013, 06:45 PM   #10
_tunic_
invito al cielo

Mission accomplished
Recording turned out very good, apart from the bits where I took out the recorder to check levels at the start. Must pay attention to the line in connector I'm afraid, or I didn't stick in the plug completely. And the sound is better than it actually was (too much bass). I love my CA-11's
Hey, it turns out Suuns is from Montreal too. They had some very nice songs, but also some that were quite boring.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth