Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Club in the Shadow
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.13.2009, 12:48 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.visitordesign.com/shelflife/?p=45

SHELFLIFE #18B: CLUB IN THE SHADOW CARD

Kim and Jutta curated a radically organic project at Kenny Schachter’s conTEMPorary in the far West Village–the Club in the Shadow. I had a ton of films on a loop upstairs. Kim and I collaborated on a series of videos of artists dancing in the spare, curved steel-mesh, Vito Acconci designed gallery. I shot Alan Licht, Jutta Koether, Karen Finley and Kim each performing to music of their choosing and cranked out a hyper-slow, meditative abstraction of those performances as an edition for the show. Double Leopards, Charlambides, Magick Markers, Alan Licht and a number of other phenomenal bands did sporadic sets. Electrophilia played what I seem to remember being one of their final shows before Steve Perino’s fatal motorcycle accident. The space was more about sitting on the cold concrete floor and enjoying the ephemerality of whatever it was that would soon no longer be contained within it than it was about absorbing the few things that remained inside it as constants.
Kim printed up a box of membership cards for the club. I think Kenny was giving them away. Maybe they were for sale. I can’t remember. The image on the front is of Monica Lewinsky shuddering at the girth of Thurston’s tip-nibbled, unpeeled banana. It was taken in a trailer backstage at one of the Central Park Wilco/Sonic Youth shows. I have video of this…going down…somewhere. Somehow, though–neither the tropical cock, nor the gash at the end of the Clinton Administration are what make that picture. Thurston’s shirt… The thing people who’ve never been in or toured with a band don’t understand is that the access you gain to incredible t-shirts by driving thru every po’ dunk town in the many armpits of this globe is a luxury few torso’d mortals can really fathom.

Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2009, 08:58 AM   #2
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
They had a large pile of those cards sitting at the door for the taking and I regret I wasn't more greedy and took more than one.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2009, 09:30 AM   #3
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
thanks, moshe! that was a great show experience. nice research. the t-shirt IS amazing! thanks.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2009, 12:00 PM   #4
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
What an awesome story.

Thanks for sharing, man.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth