Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Origins of Band Names
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.22.2008, 04:24 PM   #101
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
REM is an acronym for rear end men.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2008, 04:42 PM   #102
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
hahahah!

Muddy Waters, born Mckinley Morganfield (sp?) was called Muddy as a kid by his relatives ebcause he liked to play in mud all the time. He changed it to Muddy Water, and then to Muddy Waters.
Old 05.22.2008, 05:31 PM   #103
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
the Jesus Lizard-after a common nickname for the basilisk, a species of lizard that can actually run on water

NOFX-pretty much taken from Negative FX, a Boston hardcore punk band

Ramones-one origin of the name is that it was a fake name Paul McCartney would use when checking into hotels while he was in the Beatles (or something like that)

Linkin Park-after Lincoln Park somewhere in California, but the dumbfucks in the band were too stupid to spell it properly

Motorhead-a term for an avid speed user

B-52s-after a 1950's hair style for women

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2008, 05:46 PM   #104
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
no, the smiths probably got it from kerouac. pgmg probably got it from the smiths.

also no. it's from the line in euripedes' tragedy medea and also courtneys mum said "just because you had a bad childhood doesnt mean you can walk around with a big hole inside you"

Seneca's Medea seems more fitting for Courtney. Courtney is very like Medea, methinks. It's all gravy though, we all love Medea, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2008, 05:48 PM   #105
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
merzbow: from an artist who used trash to make his artwork, one of his works was called merzbau.

Kurt Schwitters.

And the Smiths, to my mind, would probably have got their name from the utter ubiquity of the name 'Smith' in the UK rather than some high-falutin' thing like a (shit) Kerouac book.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 05.22.2008, 06:25 PM   #106
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Kurt Schwitters.

And the Smiths, to my mind, would probably have got their name from the utter ubiquity of the name 'Smith' in the UK rather than some high-falutin' thing like a (shit) Kerouac book.
i didnt say they got their name from JK but they got the line pretty girls make graves....
it would be so much easier if you listened

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2008, 06:42 PM   #107
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I've always wanted to play under a band called Broken E Strings after the Unwound song. Mostly because all my guitars are missing the first string because of this very reason.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2008, 07:04 PM   #108
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
NOFX stands for "No Fucking straight edge", by the way. I wish I didn't know that.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2008, 07:10 PM   #109
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
rapeman is from the jap comic book about a superhero who rapes, which is prolly where the big black confusion came from.

the greatful dead name story is the best ive heard so far.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 01:48 AM   #110
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Einstuerzende Neubauten - German for "collapsing new buildings".
The Verlaines - From the poet Paul Verlaine. I wanted to call my band The Verlaines (after Tom Verlaine), but I was disappointed to find it had already been taken.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 03:28 AM   #111
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
The Jesus and Mary Chain:

The band has said it was taken from an offer on a breakfast cereal packet, to send away for a gold Jesus and Mary chain.

According to a book about them that I've read years ago they got it from a movie when the Reid brothers spent a whole summertime getting stoned and doing nothing but watching tv.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 03:34 AM   #112
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I thought The Jesus & Mary Chain's name was chosen for its shock value - not too outrageous, but enough to make people notice.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 03:37 AM   #113
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
the B52's thing is from the bomber, not a haircut.

But i may just have 'humour' turned off on this computer today
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 03:53 AM   #114
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
I thought The Jesus & Mary Chain's name was chosen for its shock value - not too outrageous, but enough to make people notice.

And you were wrong.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 04:52 AM   #115
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
NOFX stands for "No Fucking straight edge", by the way. I wish I didn't know that.
Fat Mike says this on the band's website: "I said NO FX after a band who had put out one record and broken up called Negative FX. Mike agreed that it was the best one so far. There seemed to be a lot of gimmicky bands around at the time. We like to think that our name meant we were against that shit."
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 07:20 AM   #116
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
weird, guess that was just one of those urban legends then.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 12:05 PM   #117
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'm a prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
Prick!

Good call.

Quote:
Old 05.23.2008, 01:35 PM   #118
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
The Click: founded in the bay from the original Most Valuable Players krew, e-40, b-legit and D-shot. Later to be full of yay area rappers the way nwa was all the rappers from compton/watts in the mid-80s, the click is a reference obviously to the word "clique" in reference to "the group that i'm with the click, shiggity shat legit, family oriented gang related its shit," but in spelling it "ick" rather then "que", is a reference to the sound of a handgun being loaded.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 01:40 PM   #119
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

that was just a rumor. the band members have stated in interviews (i don't know why i read nofx interviews) that nofx means, basically, no special effects. just bass, guitar, drums and really shitty singing. i wish i didn't know that.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2008, 01:44 PM   #120
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
Fat Mike says this on the band's website: "I said NO FX after a band who had put out one record and broken up called Negative FX. Mike agreed that it was the best one so far. There seemed to be a lot of gimmicky bands around at the time. We like to think that our name meant we were against that shit."

they seem to keep changing their story on how they got the name for the band.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth