Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.15.2013, 09:28 AM   #1181
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
"who am i? Lord Flacko, painting vivid pictures call me Basquiat Picasso."

i don't know man, i'm fiending for some new Rocky. new A$AP mob project and A$AP Nast's solo debut are on the way though.

it's actually odd that he decided to make such uplifting music. he's been through so much as a kid.. his father went to jail, his brother was killed in Harlem, he used to sell drugs and live in homeless shelters with his mom. you'd expect him to become a conscious/struggle type rapper.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2013, 11:48 AM   #1182
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I think that's part of what I love about him though. He's got a lot of curveballs in there. I mean, why is a guy from Harlem who was infatuated with Dipset have music that is so deeply rooted in Southern Chopped & Screwed? I mean "1train" is probably the only song on that record that sounds like the music that was happening in NY when he was growing up. Stuff like that.

He's just a real interesting character. Like he just seems very self-aware and is able to take these influences or whatever, but process them in such a way that he's really making HIS music. Like you said, there's the obvious lyrics he could've written and he's a good enough lyricist to have pulled that off. But stuff like "Phoenix" or "I Come Apart" are borderline emo but are so so good.
Old 11.15.2013, 12:01 PM   #1183
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
when Live.Love came out, well.. i dug it but i didn't know he could grow to be such an interesting artist. that tape made him seem more one-dimensional than Wiz Khalifa. Long.Live was a huge step forward.
Old 11.15.2013, 04:27 PM   #1184
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
has DMX become a firefighter?

this is so fucked up. dude has sold like 14 million copies with his first five albums.

he used to be a great artist. tough with an emotional side: http://youtube.com/watch?v=zRYX441WERk

DMX sucks, and being a firefighter might be the only thing that could redeem him, in fact, he should have skipped "rap" altogether and went with firefighting from the get-go..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2013, 07:48 PM   #1185
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
"Phoenix" video floored me. Written by Asia Argento??? Dood, Rocky is unreal.
Old 11.15.2013, 08:08 PM   #1186
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
If have to read one more comment by lame white people saying, "Why can black people use the word nigga and I can't say nigger?" ARE YOU FUCKING PRICKS HONESTLY THAT DENSE OR JUST STUPID! Seriously?? Yeah, Matt Barnes called his homiez "my niggaz" and no, bitch ass Richie Incognito, you CAN'T SAY IT, and yes it is because Martin, a black man, took offense, fuck your lame cracker ass. Bitch. Its like Game said, "THE WORD NIGGER, IS NOTHING LIKE NIGGA.. ONE IS SLANG FROM MY BROTHER THE OTHER IS HANGING DEAD TAKE A PICTURE."

Old 11.16.2013, 03:11 PM   #1187
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Will someone else listen to this album I bought the other day because of the cover and boredom? I think it's pretty obvious the guy can rap. However, he chooses to rap well infrequently, and his songs are about boobs and having sex, and the lyrics aren't exactly full of wit or subtlety ("itty-bitty-titty-committee" comes up a few times I think)

I want to like it, though, and I feel like I'm being a pretentious douche. I like tons of raunchy hip hop, only it tends to be older, more classic stuff.

I could really use some input on this 2013 release.

Nevermind. This album is horrible. It has one song that I can listen to without embarrassment. The rest are filled with crunching guitars reminiscent of Kid Rock or Kottonmouth Kings. Just awful.

Though it would still be nice if someone listened to if so we could make fun of it together.
Just sayin.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2013, 12:59 AM   #1188
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
something will always eclipse everthing that's mentioned in this thread in the future. believe me. hip hop is fickle and will move on to something better. Yeezus is a weakling compared to whats coming next.

some will be classic, others will be dishwater.

remember when DMX was the epidome of hyped up badass hip hop in 98? nothing new, always changing.

No, I don't have any recollection of that. I remember catching glimpses of really ostentatious videos. I remember hearing a song and thinking, "this guy is just the Jewel of."

He's a lame ass whiny douche-chill talking about struggle and pain, but also barking like a dog, which is apparently gangsta for yodeling. Again, DMX = Jewel.

I was banging Wu-Tang Forever in 1998. DMX had no impact on my world at all.

Not trying to be a dick, just saying. No, I don't recall him ever being the epitome of anything except or being the more commercial, male, rap equivalent of Jewel.
Old 11.17.2013, 10:24 AM   #1189
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I was never into DMX at all.
Old 11.17.2013, 11:57 AM   #1190
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah he's ok I guess. His And Then There was X album is ok. I'll admit you do listen to him thinking "ooh he's such an angry boy".

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2013, 01:44 PM   #1191
Severian
invito al cielo

I don't think I was quite in his demographic at the time. I was in college in 1998, learning SO MUCH about cocaine, sex, and how walking around with a copy of the Communist Manifesto greatly improved my chances of attaining both.

Wasn't DMX kind of marketed to the KoRn and Limp Bizkit crowd? Like, a little too rock n' roll for the hip hop purist, a little too black for the rock purist, but juuuust right for the angry pregnant 16 year olds and their baby daddies?
Old 11.17.2013, 01:48 PM   #1192
louder
invito al cielo

his first two albums are great. he dropped them both at the same year too.
Old 11.17.2013, 01:48 PM   #1193
louder
invito al cielo

the new Death Grips album might be their best work yet.
Old 11.17.2013, 03:45 PM   #1194
noisereductions
invito al cielo

best DMX line of all time:

"I am not a nice person."
Old 11.18.2013, 02:42 AM   #1195
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
was curious.
it's like 80's Madonna meets Cat Power. you're gonna love it, i think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
best DMX line of all time:

"I am not a nice person."
that's a great line.
Old 11.18.2013, 11:22 AM   #1196
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I was banging Wu-Tang Forever in 1998. DMX had no impact on my world at all.

I feel you, in 1998 there was Outkast, a sick a$$ DJ Quik record, the ridiculoulsly good Black Star record, FUCKING KILLAH PRIEST DROPPED HEAVY MENTAL, my favorite Tribe Called Quest Record came out (The Love Movement), RZA became the Bobby Digital, Redman put out "Doc's Da Name", Heiroglyphics busted out 3rd Eye Vision, WC's The Shadiest One, Sunz of Man had a record out, and to take the mark as perhaps the BEST RAP ALBUM OF 1998 E-40 put out the double album Element of Surprise..

Not only was there clearly no room to even remotely bother with DMX, upon further reflection is it safe to argue that 1998 may have been perhaps the single greatest year in rap history? Fucking shit look at those records, and that is just from my ipod right now off my head, I probably forgot at least a dozen more bangerz..

Old 11.18.2013, 10:12 PM   #1197
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
clipping - midcity

thought it would appeal to some of you guys. like a non-pussy version of death grips, ie it's actual noise and not just a bit of post-production fuzz and distortion. some of it is pure shit, but there are some pretty cool frequency assaults on there.

also, that new arca tape is intermittently good, not nearly as idiosyncratic as his first though...
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2013, 07:58 AM   #1198
louder
invito al cielo

NEW - "Bound 2" video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BBAtAM7vtgc

thoughts?
Old 11.19.2013, 09:48 AM   #1199
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Well that video sucked. I grew to really like that song after so many times of listening to it not really digging it. That video made me bored of it. Should've known as soon as I saw the eagle and running horses.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2013, 10:05 AM   #1200
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
These last twelve months have been monumental for Chance The Rapper. After releasing his breakout project, Acid Rap, Chano has been arguably the hottest up and coming artist out. He’s done everything from magazine covers, touring with Eminem and Kendrick Lamar to now hanging out with Madonna.

Last night, Chance’s "Social Experiment Tour" made a stop in Los Angeles where Madonna decided to check out the young Chicagoan’s show. Chance took to his Instagram account today with a picture of he and Madonna and the caption:

"Madonna showed up after my show in LA last night. What an eccentric and unique girl".

Fan or not, Chano is getting some crazy good looks.

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/madonna-...news.8203.html

i'm glad to see young Chance making it.
50575859 60 61626370 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth