Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.26.2018, 08:38 AM   #5021
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I tried it. dipped my mind in. Got about 20 pages in and realized I did not give a flying fuck about anything I had been reading so I put it down. Infinite over-rating? My fiction needs to be fun or else I dont give a fuck. i get my depressions out of non-fiction books.,
i started it and was like “i already read ulysses and it was better”

i’m a terrible person, i know

but the more you read the more you can discard.

what was the name of that essay by tears eliot about the formation of character bla bla bla? where he talks about how the influence of each new book decreases as you read more. kinda like the law of diminishing returns.

where i’m going with this is: a lot of people talk about infinite jest as some kind of life-defining formative experience. but by the time i found this book i had already been malformed for decades. and the stylistical flourishes did not impress me. so i just put it down. ymmv.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2018, 09:16 AM   #5022
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Went to see Laila Lalami speak yesterday at a Women in Literature forum. Mostly know her from Nation Magazine, but she has written extensive fiction accounts on colonialism and immigration. Very erudite and entertaining extemporaneous talk, engaged well with Q&A including one gentleman of the (tesla-type) persuasion. Recommended if you get a chance to see/read her.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2018, 12:40 PM   #5023
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Finish this yet?

Yeah, man! Sure I posted about it a few pages back. Hang on let me look

Edit:Huh maybe I didn't. I finished and totally loved it. There's a scene near the end where it's Pierre, Natasha, and Maria all talking together about death and in particular Prince Andrei's death. That scene will rank as one of the greatest pieces of writing I've ever read. It hit me so hard. Thing that pissed me off so much was epilogue 2. So he's just finished up talking about the characters and leaves tantalising clues as to where their lives are heading. Perfect. If he'd left it there I'd have been so happy. Does he? No, he decides to go on a 200 hundred ramble about the idea of writing about history etc.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2018, 12:52 PM   #5024
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses

Currently reading Rabbit at Rest. I've totally been sucked into this world so after reading Rabbit Run and I've done the next three one after another. This is the last one of the four and it's probably my favourite of the lot.

Whilst the way he talks about sex, and his obsession with banging on about it (no pun intended) is just cringe worthy he's a brilliant writer. He has these ling descriptive passages that just flow so seamlessly along. You gotta love a good solid piece of writing, right?

Old 04.26.2018, 01:01 PM   #5025
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
he decides to go on a 200 hundred ramble about the idea of writing about history etc.

I told you those essay passages could be easily skipped. Or at least I meant to.

---

Next to Nabokov, Updike is my favorite author.

But yes. He does have his obsessions. And it's always bothered/confused me when reading one of his masterful sentences to find the word "cunt" somewhere in there.

The first Rabbit book depressed me. The second is so dark and unpleasant. The third is merely melancholy, although I remember some funny bits. But I agree the forth is the best. The novella epilogue thing in LICKS OF LOVE: don't remember a thing about it.

Are you going to read another Updike next?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2018, 01:17 PM   #5026
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

For the most part I actually enjoyed his essays. It was just the fact he ended an incredible book with the worst essay of the lot.

Hmm, not sure. After reading four books of his in a row I think I'm gonna go somewhere else after it I was actually looking at Witches Of Eastwick, but like I say, I'm probably gonna go for something light and easy after this.

Rabbit Redux was definitely the most depressing for me. Whilst his son Nelson is this current book is such an unlikable character, Skeeter has to rank as one of my all time disliked book characters. What it was for me was the fact he so was so believable. You know there are people in every town, city, state like him. Out to ruin other peoples lives for their own gratification.

I had heard the final novella is not even worth bothering so I'm gonna leave it.

Old 05.02.2018, 05:19 PM   #5027
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
I'm currently reading a book I had no idea could existed. I found it in a railway station...
The subject is Magellan's expedition, and the authors/editors have gathered lots of material and trimmed it down to make it readable and instructive.
I've had a fascination for this first world tour and other sea things (the 1968 Sunday Times Golden Globe Challenge, with Moitessier, Crowhurst, Tetley...)
It's quite fantastic.
Le voyage de Magellan 1519-1522, Chandeigne editions.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2018, 07:38 AM   #5028
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
cool shit Bertrand
Old 05.08.2018, 01:29 PM   #5029
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Finished Freaks of Nature, which explores developmental anomalies and defects and their role in the evolution of life on Earth. http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2018/0...l-work-of.html
Old 05.08.2018, 03:02 PM   #5030
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Strange Bird by Vandemeer. Not bad.
Old 05.08.2018, 03:25 PM   #5031
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I wanna read Borne b y Vandermeer
Old 05.11.2018, 11:04 AM   #5032
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

So this happened:

I wrote an email to Penguin Random House sharing my review of Haruki Murakami's book ABsolutely On Music. I told them about myself a little and that I would love to contact Murakami. 20 minutes later I get an email from Random House, providing a mailing address for correspondence with Murakami (eep!) and thanking me. THEN, I get another email stating that they shared my review on Haruki Murakami's official Facebook. hot shit!

In the past 2 hours, my review has gotten 2968 distinct "hits"

wowowowowo bad-ass.
Old 05.11.2018, 11:21 AM   #5033
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
So this happened:

I wrote an email to Penguin Random House sharing my review of Haruki Murakami's book ABsolutely On Music. I told them about myself a little and that I would love to contact Murakami. 20 minutes later I get an email from Random House, providing a mailing address for correspondence with Murakami (eep!) and thanking me. THEN, I get another email stating that they shared my review on Haruki Murakami's official Facebook. hot shit!

In the past 2 hours, my review has gotten 2968 distinct "hits"

wowowowowo bad-ass.

Amazing! Glad to see the work you're putting in is paying off. Even if it was only for your own gratification getting a response like that must be pretty satisfying.

So you've had Alan Moore, soon to be Murakami, couple others if I remember rightly. Any other author you'd like to a)see a review of yours and b)get in touch with?

Old 05.11.2018, 11:31 AM   #5034
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

A month or so ago my wife said that I should take the time to write to one author that I have reviewed each day, and see what happens.

I have written and communicated with several people, most recently Mark S. Blumberg, who wrote the Freaks of Nature book. Jeff vandermeer, Moore, now Murakami, Rudy Rucker, etc... cool stuff.

I wrote to Freeman Dyson but he is like 90 years old.
Old 05.11.2018, 11:32 AM   #5035
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

that shit is now at 4,100 hits
Old 05.11.2018, 01:56 PM   #5036
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Can a book review go "viral" ? hjahhahahahha. That specific review now has 8037 original hits all since 9 AM today.
Old 05.11.2018, 02:04 PM   #5037
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

the authors I would love to contact are all dead! (HST, Vonnegut, Bukowski, Asimov, etc)

My wife told em to write to the authors I love because they will all die.

she was right.

as far as any authors I wanna communicate with? Camile Paglia, Neil Gaiman, Greg Bear
Old 05.11.2018, 02:16 PM   #5038
ilduclo
invito al cielo

doubt that any contact with Pugly would go well...
Old 05.11.2018, 02:26 PM   #5039
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I'm gonna send her a highly intricate B+W drawing to curry her favor.
Old 05.11.2018, 02:43 PM   #5040
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
paglia is great. i like her more in writing than in person (i saw her speak once). sexual personae drove me a bit nuts. it was like having taken a too-powerful drug. i read her columns with some frequency.

while i don’t have to agree with everything she says, and she can repeat and oversimplify things, and even be disturbing, i appreciate her perspective, which i believe to be an honest one, unlike many charlatans who feign positions according to fashions.

i think it’s valuable for the culture to have someone in her post, and holding the positions she does, and as vociferously as she does.

as you know most people these days don’t want debate but cry for agreement and compliance instead. whether the various mainstreams or the lunatic fringe, it’s always “with me or against me” and torrents of tears.

so thank fuck for paglia’s furious opposition to various brands of sanctimony and wishful thinking and lack of seriousness.

i hope she scolds you! i’d take that as a great compliment.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
202242249250251 252 253254255262 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth