Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Unpopular Musical Opinions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.27.2009, 12:18 AM   #1201
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1ck
I have listened to it a number of times and even reviewed it. It has absolutely no redeemable qualities.
What kind of fucking moron are you? No redeemable qualities? How about you get some perspective. If it had no redeemable qualities, why do so many people like it? What gives you the right to be such a fucking prick about it?

This isn't because I like Kid A (and Radiohead in general), but because you are so incredibly close minded. How can you dismiss something as having "no redeemable qualities"? Really. So much work was put into that album and it showed. Even if you did not like it it would be incredibly ignorant to deny that it was indeed well structured and innovative, but there you are, Mr. Music Judge, with your fat rubber "F" stamp ready to criticise and nitpick at it. Maybe you were so focused on the negatives from the get-go that you forgot about all the good things.

I understand that this is a thread for opinions, but claiming something has "no redeemable qualities" is just so ignorant and so naive. Even something by Simple Plan has redeemable qualities, you just have to understand that they are there first to see them.
Old 06.27.2009, 04:08 AM   #1202
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Look, Mother Theresa, it's music. People shoot their mouth off about it. They will use excessive rhetoric, they will be unreasonable and their arguments do not have to make sense. If you can't hack the fact that people are going to talk shit on the internet, you really need to stop being on the the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2009, 05:25 AM   #1203
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
What the fuck is wrong with the yeah yeah yeahs?

One of the best 00's bands in my opion.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2009, 05:31 AM   #1204
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
1. Annoying vocals
2. Shitty songwriting
3. Lousy, boring drummer
4. Simple boring overrated guitar player (a few decent riffs here and there notwithstanding)
5. Awful lyrics
6. The Seconds are way better
7. The new stuff sounds like Pink
8. Did I mention the annoying, tuneless vocals? Because they dominate over the rest of the music.
9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka4ViRrPSNw is really the worst song I've ever heard in my life.

No offense, but if you really think they're one of 00's best bands... how many 00 bands have you heard?! They're not even in the top 2000 bands I've heard since 2000!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2009, 05:31 AM   #1205
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
I wouldn't call them one of the best 00's bands (and even less in my "opion" ) but I think they're fine. The first album was good, the second is really good, the new one sucks. But the first two are fun.

My unpopular musical opinion of the day, according to this thread: I think Drum's Not Dead is one of the best records that came out this decade. But then again it was, with Feels by Animal Collective, the record that changed my view on modern music so I'm not objective. I remember being in my bedroom, putting on the album, finding the first track a bit weird, and then hearing the intro for Let's Not Wrestle Mt Heart Attack and that didgeridoo-like sample and freaking out like "what the fuck". Before that I used to think that everything that came out in the 00's was revival
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2009, 05:41 AM   #1206
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
1. Annoying vocals
2. Shitty songwriting
3. Lousy, boring drummer
4. Simple boring overrated guitar player (a few decent riffs here and there notwithstanding)
5. Awful lyrics
6. The Seconds are way better
7. The new stuff sounds like Pink
8. Did I mention the annoying, tuneless vocals? Because they dominate over the rest of the music.
9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka4ViRrPSNw is really the worst song I've ever heard in my life.

No offense, but if you really think they're one of 00's best bands... how many 00 bands have you heard?! They're not even in the top 2000 bands I've heard since 2000!
I've heard a amazing lot but in my opion there in my top 20 of the 2000 bands. But yeah, everyone there own choice. The new album sucks but the ep+first album are amazing still.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2009, 06:22 AM   #1207
sarramkrop

I like a lot of Grandaddy's songs. I'm now sitting here waiting for atsonicpark to tell me why eventually they suck. Better get moving because I don't have too much time to weep like a girl.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2009, 06:24 AM   #1208
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
They're a funny one, Grandaddy, because they sound like a lot of very shit bands, but mysteriously they're actually quite good. Or at least 'Everything beautiful is far away' and 'Summer here kids' were.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 06.27.2009, 06:29 AM   #1209
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
They're a funny one, Grandaddy, because they sound like a lot of very shit bands, but mysteriously they're actually quite good. Or at least 'Everything beautiful is far away' and 'Summer here kids' were.

That's true, they have an awful lot of elements that generally put me off from bands of that ilk, yet they wrote pop songs so catchy they stay with you everywhere you go. They seemed like a band that just got on with what they did and were inoffensive, anonymous, yet delivered. If this was about Eels, one of the worst bands I can think of at the moment....
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2009, 06:36 AM   #1210
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
jason lytle (of grandaddy) has a new solo album out, anyone heard it?

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2009, 06:37 AM   #1211
Glice
invito al cielo

Eels always make me think of a more urbane, hip Pearl Jam. By which I mean, if Pearl Jam have a virtue in their appalling drossfests, it's their lack of artifice.

It's statements like this that make me think Lady Gaga isn't such a bad idea after all.

Quote:
Old 06.27.2009, 06:49 AM   #1212
sarramkrop

I've heard only one Lady Gaga song, and it was ok.

The thing with bands like Eels is that they aren't rock enough, as well as having poor songwriting skills, and not pop enough. That half-arsed way of not wanting to take sides when you're doing something bothers me more. I mean, if you are going to write a pop song, make it as artificial and pop-sounding as possible, it's more in tune with the sort of escapism that I expect from it. I don't want to hear pop records by somebody while they're not being sure of what they're doing because of some 'keeping it real' shitefest. Being convinced does help making you come across as real enough by itself.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2009, 06:51 AM   #1213
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic sphere
jason lytle (of grandaddy) has a new solo album out, anyone heard it?

I haven't.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2009, 07:53 AM   #1214
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmogrifier
The Fiery Furnaces are the best band to come out of the 00s.

YES.
Old 06.27.2009, 07:57 AM   #1215
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"There's a nazi hiding in your bed (it's you, it's you, it's FUCKING you!!!!!!)" and "Shit spangled banner" by struggle for tomorrow are the 2 best songs ever written.

Old 06.27.2009, 08:15 AM   #1216
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
The Pink Floyd of Meddle and Live at Pompeii is better than the one of Piper at the gates of dawn.
Old 06.27.2009, 08:21 AM   #1217
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

deadsy had some good songs.

Old 06.27.2009, 12:49 PM   #1218
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
^Wow, there's a name I haven't heard in a while...

All I've heard is The Key to Grahamercy (sp?) Park, but I don't feel the need to hear anything else. They came off to me as a ripoff of Orgy, who couldn't decide if they wanted to be Nine Inch Nails or New Order...
Old 06.27.2009, 02:04 PM   #1219
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Well, before their album came out (before that song was ever recorded), they had a really crazy, awesome version of the album, with a completely different tracklisting.. it circulated for years.. and they had some songs on it that were just incredible.. really bizarre, unwieldy, lo-fi synth epics. I never had, nor ever will probably, hear anything like it. 6 minutes of like 5 synths on top of each other, but it was cool, because they picked some really nutso synth tones and the whole thing was gritty and nightmarish.

They cleaned up the "horror movie" aspects of their sound (replacing, removing, and re-recording nearly every song on the album when it eventually came out a good 5 years after it was recorded), became more Orgy-ish, and then were never seen or heard from again.

Old 06.27.2009, 05:34 PM   #1220
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
I like Tyrannosaurus Rex better than T. Rex (though The Slider will forever remain my favorite thing Bolan has ever done.)

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
51585960 61 62636471 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth