Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped Facts
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.07.2006, 11:14 PM   #41
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noumenal
Looks like they were calling Reena "Stonesy", which means that they are aware that it sounds like Stones from Sonic Nurse.

Some people were saying that after hearing a bit of it from that radio interview. Maybe SY made it sound like Stones on purpose, or maybe after the fact, they realized it.

That's a good point.
Old 04.08.2006, 01:50 AM   #42
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
I assumed "Stonesy" was more in the vein of previous working titles like "Chicago" or "ZZ" or "Sade" or "Lindsey" or even "Celtic Frost"...

Where did the info that Lee sings on "Rapture" come from? I don't hear him at all...

Will be curious to see if that promo w/ the alternate titles has any actual alternate versions from the 'regular' promo...

Oh,. and "Rats" is the weirdest fucking (can I say that here?) Lee song I've ever heard.

Kim sounds very elegant throughout, some different vocal tones...
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 02:34 AM   #43
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
June 13th is way to far away...

Edit: Damn
Old 04.08.2006, 02:49 AM   #44
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
You mean June 13th
Old 04.08.2006, 04:06 AM   #45
Soundtrax
bad moon rising

Soundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyCape
I don't have the CD, I just had the opportunity to take a photo of the back sleeve (there was no front sleeve). Although I'm a fan, I don't follow the band religously and wasn't sure if the info contained on the sleeve was known (early and parenthesis titles). I did listen to about a minutes worth of the album across the first three tracks though.

liar... if you had opportunity to see it, go back where you saw it and demand a copy, damn! its like, pearl jam new album will be out in 24 days officialy, but it still hasnt been leaked... i have the feeling that the same will happen to the new sonic youth album. i cant wait for another 2 months, grrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
I assumed "Stonesy" was more in the vein of previous working titles like "Chicago" or "ZZ" or "Sade" or "Lindsey" or even "Celtic Frost"...

Where did the info that Lee sings on "Rapture" come from? I don't hear him at all...

Will be curious to see if that promo w/ the alternate titles has any actual alternate versions from the 'regular' promo...

Oh,. and "Rats" is the weirdest fucking (can I say that here?) Lee song I've ever heard.

Kim sounds very elegant throughout, some different vocal tones...

you too have the promo? grrr.... leak it! i mean, just for us, not neccessarily on emule where every idiot would be able to get it. damn!
If you want to hear lee vocals on Rapture, download the interview from air america radio (in sonic sharing), at the beginning of rapture lee is saying somehting, although he is not at the radio studio i guess
Old 04.08.2006, 04:36 AM   #46
krastian
invito al cielo

Why would you want to someone to leak a band's album that you love (I'm assuming, yr on a stupid fan forum)?
Old 04.08.2006, 04:41 AM   #47
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrax
you too have the promo? grrr.... leak it! i mean, just for us, not neccessarily on emule where every idiot would be able to get it. damn!
If you want to hear lee vocals on Rapture, download the interview from air america radio (in sonic sharing), at the beginning of rapture lee is saying somehting, although he is not at the radio studio i guess

"WATERMARKED CD This record has been marked with a specific identification code in order to trace any unauthorized use thereof. Including usage on the internet and other digital replications. Geffen Records hereby reserves all of its rights at law or in equity with respect to this record and all materials embodied thereon."

...YOU THINK I WANNA FUCK WITH GEFFEN?!?!??!

Eh, you want me to post some lyrics or something?

Thanks for the info on "Rapture", will check it out...
Old 04.08.2006, 07:37 AM   #48
duderanchnurse
bad moon rising

duderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's assesduderanchnurse kicks all y'all's asses
so chris, can we get a brief review song by song, with lengths of the songs and who sing what??? i can't wait
duderanchnurse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 08:11 AM   #49
badgercorn
bad moon rising

badgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's asses
there's a interesting thread discussing the new LP on the forum on the Plan B website: http://www.planbmag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3757
badgercorn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 08:29 AM   #50
Soundtrax
bad moon rising

Soundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
"WATERMARKED CD This record has been marked with a specific identification code in order to trace any unauthorized use thereof. Including usage on the internet and other digital replications. Geffen Records hereby reserves all of its rights at law or in equity with respect to this record and all materials embodied thereon."

...YOU THINK I WANNA FUCK WITH GEFFEN?!?!??!

Eh, you want me to post some lyrics or something?

Thanks for the info on "Rapture", will check it out...

have you never thought this watermark is a bullshit to scare you? was the CD made especially for you? hey, why dont you stream it for us, using shoutcast? just set the date, dude, so we can all tune in!
Old 04.08.2006, 01:30 PM   #51
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Hey Chris, i really want to know if you like the album?
You got me all excited when you wrote about Murray Street and said that SY "nailed it".
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 02:15 PM   #52
Chris Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by duderanchnurse
so chris, can we get a brief review song by song, with lengths of the songs and who sing what??? i can't wait

Sure...

On the whole, I'd describe the album as 'dreamy', w/ lots of arpeggios and harmonics. It's mostly upbeat, lots of pretty note progressions, lots of Lee exercising his leads, a few rockers. It's not a radical distance from Murray Street/Nurse, but I think people craving that 'quartet' feel will be satisfied.

01. REENA (Kim) 3'47"

GREAT opener, gets you hoppin' right out the gate -- "you keep me comin' home again". Kim rules!

02. INCINERATE (Thurston) 4'55"

Bouncy Thurston pop with a dark undertone.. "I ripped your heart out from your chest / Replaced it with a grenade blast" "You doused my soul with gasoline / You flicked a match into my brain" "The firefighters are so nice / I remember you so cold as ice / The flames are licking at your feet / The sirens come to put me out of misery"

03. DO YOU BELIEVE IN RAPTURE? (Thurston) 3'11"

97% harmonics -- a weird little disjointed tune, I love that they can still craft songs with this feel. Hard to explain, but I guess you've all heard it in some form. Still don't hear Lee, unless he's so buried and distorted I'm mistaking him for a beatbox.

04. SLEEPIN AROUND (Thurston) 3'42"

The tune from the mirror mov, yes. I love the riffs, the lyrics are essentially identical for each verse/chorus (one word changes for the verses). This is one of the all-out fuzzy Jet Set rock type of numbers on here...SCREECH. "Sleepin around, sleepin around / What will the neighbours say? / Sleepin around, all over town / What will the neighbours say? / What you did was wrong / What you did good is gone / Nothing you do is right / Always ends up in a fight"

05. WHAT A WASTE (Kim) 3'33"

Starts off kinda like "New Hampshire", one chord and a steady beat. But Kim's vocals take it somewhere totally different, she sounds GREAT on this record overall. A different kind of voice for her, or maybe I'm just not used to hearing her sing prettier songs recently. Kind of her "Golden Blue" voice, but less subdued. Lee plays a melody line along w/ her vocals. The chorus is just kinda quick and there, like some of the other refrains on the album. Swishy noise sounds in the background. Lookin' forward to hearing this on one of the finest shows ever, Gilmore Girls. (Yes, I'm serious!)

"Private signals lead me to you
A sublime spectacular dud
Safe and sound from shattered confusion
Get the picture, yes it's clear as mud"

06. JAMS RUN FREE (Kim) 3'52"

Jagged brain, indeed. Slow, but upbeat, pretty-ish guitar melodies, etc. "I love the way you move / I hope it's not too late for me". Extremely cool instrumental section at the end (actually, none of these songs are lacking instrumentally, great shit goin' on).

07. RATS (Lee) 4'24"

Still not sure how to describe this. Cool bass/drums groove layered in guitar noise, that you'd never expect to hear Lee's voice over. Has a semi-acoustic pre-chorus, then a 2-chord "Disappearer"-esque chorus that really soars...yeh, I'm not very good at this review thing. Nice tune, though! "When the rats run riot / And the screen door slams / When the trees grow quiet / Nothing but cats and cans / When the breeze says 'try it' / But you can hardly see / When your love has died / And you rat on me / I see your eyes in the half light / I see the number on your wall / Endless strange things I see at night / You don't see anything at all / Shine a light into your soul / City streets so freezing cold / City shadows mark the route / When they let the rats out"

08. TURQUOISE BOY (Kim) 6'14"

Loooove this one. Slow, dreamy, yes...mostly instrumental, Kim sings a few verses in this real 'french pop' type voice. Lee's does these hypnotic cascading lead things over a sea of arpeggios, and it just takes off from there. Great riffage throughout....

09. LIGHTS OUT (Thurston) 3'32"

A very slow, subdued, low tune. I think I hear Kim very softly in the chorus...not sure what to say about this one, will be curious to see what others think. Has kind of a "Disconnection Notice" vibe at one point, but the vocal sections are mostly pretty low... "She scans the room for a star to consume / When eye contact is made I suggest son, you fix your grave / Cuz it's lights out for you / Lights out for you / There's not a hell of a lot you can do / It's lights out for you"

10. THE NEUTRAL (Kim) 4'09"

More dreaminess, more great Kim vocals w/ that Golden Blue voice. Has kind of a "Nursey" chorus (or "Stonesy"?). "He's not a dreamer or a schemer / Running away from you / He's not a singer, an entertainer / With no follow thru..."

11. PINK STEAM (Thurston) 6'58"

Hot shit, coming thru! Fuckin' killer sweet jams, amazing instrumental intro, no vocals til 5 minutes in, great Thurston voice, delivery, fuck yeah! Love it! Definitely one of the highlights of the record.

12. OR (Thurston) 3'30"

I never heard Thurston's solo version of this, but I really like the SY version. It has that pulsating beat and lots of ambient guitar tapping, a really nice vibe to end the record.

"The plan is to go to D.C. and hang out
Go see girls rock
How long's the tour?
What time you guys playin'?
Where you going next?
What comes first
The music
Or
The words?"

Overall, I'm really digging this record, especially after multiple listens. Sorry my review style has gone downhill over the years, but I think people will, for the most part, be pretty excited about this one once they have a chance to digest it. Some questionable lyrics, some familiar riffs, but more importantly, some GREAT songs, and some great jams. You keep me comin' home again...
Old 04.08.2006, 02:23 PM   #53
krastian
invito al cielo

Yummy......I love dreamy.
Old 04.08.2006, 02:30 PM   #54
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Wow!!! Thanks Chris. That is a great review. Now I really cant wait anymore.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 02:34 PM   #55
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
Dreamy

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 02:51 PM   #56
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Does anybody know if promo/advance copies of the album will be going out to radio stations (particularly college stations)???
I would love to debut some of the Rather Ripped songs on my show!

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 02:53 PM   #57
Soundtrax
bad moon rising

sounds cool i love sonic youth's dreamy stuf thanks... now just damn leak it!
Old 04.08.2006, 03:24 PM   #58
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
Whoa, thanks a lot Chris!
Old 04.08.2006, 03:30 PM   #59
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
I was kind off dubious about this album but yeah this does sound good. It's true that u can't really judge them by their previous album that'd be totally unfair, considering how good it is.
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2006, 03:43 PM   #60
Soundtrax
bad moon rising

i am so desperate

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth