Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.29.2016, 02:23 PM   #3081
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
I can finally hear the "gospel rap" sound he was going for on a lot of these songs. But then there are some straight bangers that have no business on an album like this. And I don't like the skits either. With some trimming it might've been on par with Yeezus for me.

Wow, that's saying something! You love Yeezus.
I think I love Yeezus more than I have ever loved Yeezus before. I don't think I really "got" just how excellent the second half of that album was until this year, even though it was my fave of 2013.

I mean.. "Blood on the Leaves" ... wow. "Guilt Trip" is really turning into one of my all time favorite Ye songs. And "Send it up" and "Bound 2" are both excellent of course.

I'm not sure where TLOP ranks for me... but that's because I love all the albums in different ways. I think "Real Friends" is just about peak Kanye, same for Fade and ULB and Famous. I wish "30 hours" was longer (more song, less shout out), but my complaints about the tracks on TLOP have almost completely disappeared.

You've GOTTA hear the way he's doing Father 1-2 live. It's mindblowing .
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2016, 05:26 PM   #3082
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Yeezus is still incredible. the seconds half melts real good like. unlike the throwaway trash that some critics seem to think it is.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2016, 05:33 PM   #3083
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLips
I explained in my first thread, hip hop has become a deconstruction of American English with a Black bias because it is not their mother tongue so they don't care they bastardize it. The British author James Joyce wrote entire works based on made up words overly more concerned with phonetic appeal than etymological value.

African Americans created scat and bebop for Jazz. The words mean nothing phonetics as if voice is nothing more than a melody.

I explained lyrics are the last unturned stone, that in the story of Pentecost the Apostles were given tongues of fire to speak and understand any language they encountered.

Yes Ebonic HipHop is very valid, but I don't need to hear it, it frustrates me because it's not structured linguistics, it's extremely funky.

Dave Chapelle went to Africa to find his roots after the Chapelle show. There is no reason why the great African rappers can't go to Nigeria or other places and incorporate the mother tongues into their lyrics.

I have a Slovenian hip hop album by N'toko. It is not bastardized language. Every language has HipHop now.
African Ebonics has nothing to do with me. I'd rather learn my mother tongue fluently and rythmically.

I really think African Americans would find greater redemption buying some African dictionaries and getting jiggy with it. Language Linguistics Scat Bebop the Tongues of Fire from the Holy Spirit. That's what I'm hammering here. Shits going down in hip hop I think about it a lot

nothing wrong with that I guess. I wasn't accusing you of being racist. you just sound soooo like a white boy.
Old 09.29.2016, 06:01 PM   #3084
pepper_green
Banned

dug some lil b and j dilla but, that was lastweek. so don't know why the hell im posting this.

oh, because it was last week.
Old 09.29.2016, 07:00 PM   #3085
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:

see, now it's shit like this that's a bunch of girly bull for thirteen yr olds.

im up in the café slamming espresso shots trying to wind down from the day and I ran into this disgusting pop.

they write this shit for some of the shows on netflix my daughter watches. can't feel this shit at all.

yeah, yr a muthafuckin starboy alright. I starBOY wussie punk. lol!
Old 09.29.2016, 07:08 PM   #3086
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Hey that song and video are fun. The Weeknd turning himself into some sort of a superhero figure.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2016, 07:12 PM   #3087
pepper_green
Banned

come on dude. start another café for all that. it doesn't belong here. lol.
Old 09.29.2016, 07:21 PM   #3088
pepper_green
Banned

Wait, wait !! wait a goddamn minute here. in the vid, did he just walk by a portrait of Daft Punk?!?!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!! bahahah!!! dude dances through the house like he's performing weak Michael Jackson dance moves for a home movie then, then there's a FUCKING DAFT PUNK portrait!

fucking hilarious!!!! da fuck? they produced the album or something?
Old 09.29.2016, 07:23 PM   #3089
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
I've been following The Weeknd since the beginning of his career in 2011. Dude has been extremely shy and unhappy for years, it's good to see that he finally gained some confidence and decided to embrace and celebrate his success. He's indeed a star, one of the few good ones we have.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2016, 07:28 PM   #3090
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
Yeezus is still incredible. the seconds half melts real good like. unlike the throwaway trash that some critics seem to think it is.

What critics? I can't think of any.

The Guardian named Yeezus the best album of 2013.
TIME named Yeezus the best album of 2013.
The Village Voice Pazz & Jop named Yeezus the best album of 2013.
SPIN named Yeezus the best album of 2013.

Pitchfork and Rolling Stone were harsh, only only naming Yeezus the second best album of 2013.

I almost think it was as big a critical success as MBDTF.
And it damn well deserved all of this.

(Though I should note that, far as I can remember, not a single one of the publications above put DJ KOZE's absolutely works-conquering album Amygdala on their lists, which is a sign that they have much to learn about music and who's making it. Amygdala may even be superior to Yeezus, really. But I digress.)

Lou Reed reviewed Yeezus... called it brilliant.

The only assholes who didn't seem to get it? The Grammys. The fact that it lost to Drake (or Macklemore or whatever) is just hilarious. 2013 was an epic year for music, especially hip hop, but Yeezus was the stone cold stunner. I actually found myself wondering if the critics weren't going too far with their Yeezus praise. But listening to it in 2016, it's clear that they were right. Motherfucker's a beast.
Old 09.29.2016, 07:31 PM   #3091
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:
I've been following The Weeknd since the beginning of his career in 2011. Dude has been extremely shy and unhappy for years, it's good to see that he finally gained some confidence and decided to embrace and celebrate his success. He's indeed a star, one of the few good ones we have.

so he's an emo R&B star? even more hilarious!

im sorry man but, when he walks by that Daft Punk portrait I can't help but to laugh. maybe it's just me.

hilarious!!
Old 09.29.2016, 07:34 PM   #3092
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

I think I'm over Weeknd. Dude's ok. Capable of making really great music, but I'm sick of hearing about him. It's like everyone forgot how much kisssland sucked when he did that 50 shades of grey track.

That last album was good. Quite good. But it aped on MJ too much.
At the Kanye concert, my girlfriend turned to me during Fade and said, stunned, "this is like some Michael Jackson shit" ... she meant the beat, energy, spectacle of it all, not that it soudned like MJ. But she was right. That's the right way to carry on MJ's legacy. Completely replicating his style and sound is the wrong way. In my opinion.
Old 09.29.2016, 07:36 PM   #3093
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
What critics? I can't think of any.

The Guardian named Yeezus the best album of 2013.
TIME named Yeezus the best album of 2013.
The Village Voice Pazz & Jop named Yeezus the best album of 2013.
SPIN named Yeezus the best album of 2013.

Pitchfork and Rolling Stone were harsh, only only naming Yeezus the second best album of 2013.

Wow, sorry to quote myself here, but Jesus... this is really impressive. I hold Guardian and Village Voice in particularly high regard (higher than the pitchforks of the world).

Did y'all know that Ye's won the Pazz and Jop critics poll 4 times? Yowza.
Old 09.29.2016, 07:40 PM   #3094
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:
I think I'm over Weeknd. Dude's ok.

you were into these guys at one time? damn!!

I remember someone posted a vid by them long ago with a car blowing up. can't remember who it was. wasn't one of ya'll.

incredible!!!
Old 09.29.2016, 07:45 PM   #3095
pepper_green
Banned

the dude in that Weekend vid has himself killed at the beginning with that shit hairstyle. I guess he's killing off his old persona. funny shit!!!
Old 09.29.2016, 07:50 PM   #3096
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:
Wow, sorry to quote myself here, but Jesus... this is really impressive. I hold Guardian and Village Voice in particularly high regard (higher than the pitchforks of the world).

Did y'all know that Ye's won the Pazz and Jop critics poll 4 times? Yowza.

who cares what those critics say. they all assholes. I meant mostly the average critic in those first listen vids. that what matters.
Old 09.29.2016, 08:14 PM   #3097
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
you were into these guys at one time? damn!!

I remember someone posted a vid by them long ago with a car blowing up. can't remember who it was. wasn't one of ya'll.

incredible!!!

That was louder.
Old 09.29.2016, 08:20 PM   #3098
pepper_green
Banned

so he farted. not you? ok. haha!!
Old 09.29.2016, 08:22 PM   #3099
Severian
invito al cielo

In case anyone (apart from NR and louder, who I shared this with already) gives a fraction of a shit, this is the partial set list from the Kanye show. He went through a lot of songs in an hour and a half, so I may be forgetting a few, and the order is not correct except for the openers and closers:

Father Stretch my Hands pt.1 (extended)
... pt.2 (extended)
Ni**as in Paris
That part
Mercy.1
Don't Like
Famous (extended)
All day
Feedback
Flashing lights
Power
Freestyle 4 (extended)
Blood on the leaves
Jesus Walks
Highlights
Wolves
Touch the Sky
Heartless
FACTS
Runaway
Only one
FourFiveSeconds
Can't Tell Me Nothing
I love Kanye
Waves (x2)
Stronger (extended)
The Good Life
All of the Lights
Fade
Ultralight Beam

He ran through a medley of songs pretty quickly right out the gate, sometimes with one song leading right into another.

I was surprised that he didn't play "Real Friends" or "No More Parties..." since both would have worked pretty well in that setting (I.e. nobody to trade verses with) and I thought I'd hear "Saint Pablo" for sure since it's the newest song.
You'd think it would be weird that he played WTT and Cruel Summer tracks, or that he did a cover of THat Part, but it all sounded awesome.

Would have been cool if Chance had been an opener. He could have done his ULB verse. But Chance is on a crazy successful tour of his own right now that I might just try to catch before it's too late.
Old 09.29.2016, 08:25 PM   #3100
pepper_green
Banned

glad you got to see Kanye. always cool when someone gets hyped after a concert. it's inspiring stuff.

see he didn't perform 30 hours. can't help but notice when you got all white boy with N***as in Paris. Friends substitutes the same with ninja. I get the feeling his is more political than your guilt.

you can type nigga. it's ok. it's the name of the song.....you wacky people.

to be honest, I say nigga all the time. when I come home i greet my dog with "sup nigga" or when he's outside I yell out "get yo ass inside nigga". when im loving on him it's "yeah, you my nigga".

at work, we say it all the time. nigga ass white boy. you is a white boy. white boy. dat white boy crazy.

Soup Nazi doesn't visit the café? what's spoken in the café stays in the café.
105145152153154 155 156157158165 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth