Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.01.2006, 07:34 PM   #1
Angel Dust
little trouble girl

Angel Dust has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Anyone like The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols? I am grouping these bands together because of their close relationship, etc.

I saw Dig a couple weeks ago on TV and really liked the music in the movie, so I bought The Dandy Warhols Come Down... and I am listening to BJM's "Methodrone" right now.

I like some of the songs on Come down and BJM's Methodrone is really good shit. Opinions anyone?
Old 04.01.2006, 07:55 PM   #2
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
i saw a documentary about them. isn't there animosity between them now?
Old 04.01.2006, 08:18 PM   #3
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i can't believe that anyone would like those bands after watching that movie, both bands come off as utterly shallow, moronic and mind numbing.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2006, 08:19 PM   #4
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
i dunno... both are good, but I like BJM more. But I don't listen to either very much. DIG was awesome tho.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2006, 09:12 PM   #5
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i hate both bands but damn that was one of the best rock documentaries ive ever seen
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 12:44 AM   #6
Angel Dust
little trouble girl

Angel Dust has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I have heard there is animosity between them, but I think they have made amends, as I believe members of both bands have recently attend each others shows. And as quoted on the BJM site: "Anton Newcombe does not support the recently screened documentary film 'DIG!' in its currently edited form. He feels strongly that the "Jerry Springer-esque" vilification of his nature is an inappropriate, mis contextualized, and exploitative use of the footage...". This would lead me to believe that the animosity was somewhat invented.

Regarding, "i can't believe that anyone would like those bands after watching that movie, both bands come off as utterly shallow, moronic and mind numbing."

My friend told me the same thing so you are probably right, but I got a sense that it was really the record labels that were the culprit for a lot of the bullshit in the film. Though, I will agree that both Anton Newcombe and Courtney Taylor are not the "rock and roll geniuses" they claim to be. I like their music a lot, but I think that is a stretch, especially as they were many band making the same type of music. Nevertheless, I though it was great documentary and I really enjoy the albums I have of both bands.
Old 04.02.2006, 03:42 AM   #7
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I found the documentary quite entertaining. Its curious if all of the stuff in front of the cameras was for the most part a big act. I found the scene were the BJM are all just beating the shit out of each other. LoL. And that whole thing of Courtney saying he really adimres the singer to the point of jealousy for his music, but then hates him, and all the back in forth bashing from both bands. Its an enjoyable movie, but its a bit disappointing if it was all a put-on.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 04:27 AM   #8
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i love both band, i saw the dandys in 2003 and BJM in 2005, and both are awesome live!, the film is pretty strange though, i feel sorry for Anton.
and there isnt really any bad blood between the two bands, Anton went on tour with the dandys last year. and courtney does the same when BJM tour.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 02:28 PM   #9
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
I'm much more into The Brian Jonestown Massacre, but I also like the Dandys. I've heard the film isn't very flattering, so I'm not sure I want to see it in case it does spoil it for me.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth