Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth = STALE
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.06.2006, 12:26 PM   #61
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Why would you get your ass kicked for writing a shitty post with no point for anyone to even get pissed about?
Old 11.06.2006, 12:44 PM   #62
strictlycommercial
bad moon rising

strictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's asses
As far as I can see SY are a band that have changed very little musically over their career. There have been no head-scratching changes of musical direction, no country/electro/p-funk albums. Some have been softer, some heavier, some poppier, some more abrasive but essentially the same shtick.

But for me that's not really a problem. I love the way they sound, I love how they play their guitars and how they sing. That's not to say I'm against them trying something new, just that as long as the songs are good and they dont sound contrived or bored I'll be happy.
strictlycommercial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2006, 01:09 PM   #63
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
So, CSI/KYI and Rather Ripped are the same shtick?

Moron.
Old 11.06.2006, 01:18 PM   #64
zedius
children of satan

zedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asseszedius kicks all y'all's asses
I always thought I'd like to hear an acapella sy album with lots of awesome lip buzzing and beat boxing.
zedius is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2006, 01:19 PM   #65
strictlycommercial
bad moon rising

strictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's asses
Those are the extremes, but I wouldn't say they're as far from each other as you'd think.
Have a listen to the albums from Bad Moon Rising on and you'll probably find more constants than differences.
strictlycommercial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2006, 02:03 PM   #66
ted_kennedy
bad moon rising

ted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to behold
I swear, this board is so much worse because of Haydenasche. He just spews this hate in virtually everypost. get lost loser.

Back to the subject: thats a v good point Genetic. I never thought of it like that before. Maybe i should give more SYR releases more listening time, maybe id find some more experimental SY there.
ted_kennedy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2006, 02:06 PM   #67
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

My seniority over you is overwhelming, dear. Don't tell me to get lost. I can do as I please.
Old 11.06.2006, 02:08 PM   #68
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

But, getting back to the topic. I agree more than anyone that Sonic Youth is stale. Rather Ripped was a TERRIBLE album. I don't think they should even attempt not being stale, though. It might suck too bad.
Old 11.06.2006, 02:10 PM   #69
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_kennedy
I swear, this board is so much worse because of Haydenasche. He just spews this hate in virtually everypost. get lost loser.

Back to the subject: thats a v good point Genetic. I never thought of it like that before. Maybe i should give more SYR releases more listening time, maybe id find some more experimental SY there.
This is an example of something useless being said today around the world.There are 1 trillion useless things said every minute from Canada to Mongolia and this is one of them.If you stare at the post above for more than five seconds it might give you a migraine and you'll probably have to take some painkillers to alleviate the pain and the discomfort.Don't tell me that i didn't warn you.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2006, 02:41 PM   #70
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
wow
Havenīt noticed that before
I was thinking about getting the "On tour with neubauten" dvd but 28 Euros is just to much for me and i also heard itīs not really worth the money.

Bought the "1/2 Mensch" DVD some time ago - now that is what i call
worth the money

That's because it's directed by the awesome dude Sogo Ishii. I haven't seen it but I really want to.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2006, 02:45 PM   #71
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Why would you get your ass kicked for writing a shitty post with no point for anyone to even get pissed about?

What I really mean is that now that the band has another avenue to express themselves, they can put all the experimental, noisy stuff on the SYRs, while putting the more mellow, mainstream stuff on the Geffen releases, to keep the label happy. You might remember that Geffen once sued Neil Young for not sounding enough like Neil Young, and tried to kick Carlos Santana out of Santana. I don't know that SY are a huge cash cow for Geffen, but if SY suddenly became "noncommerical" in their eyes, they might get a little pissed.

So what I was basically saying is that the balance between melody and noise and innovation was lost when Sonic Youth realized the freedom they have not needing to satisfy "commerical demand"...they get their experimenting out on the SYRs, while largely sticking to formula on the major releases, and that I think the band's major releases would be more interesting if they didn't have the SYRs.
GeneticKiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2006, 02:57 PM   #72
ted_kennedy
bad moon rising

ted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
This is an example of something useless being said today around the world.There are 1 trillion useless things said every minute from Canada to Mongolia and this is one of them.If you stare at the post above for more than five seconds it might give you a migraine and you'll probably have to take some painkillers to alleviate the pain and the discomfort.Don't tell me that i didn't warn you.

This is an example of something useless being said about something useless. In more words than are necessary.

RR was a good album, best since Murray. Incinerate is one of the best SY songs. Pink steam and reena are v good too.
ted_kennedy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2006, 04:16 PM   #73
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Whatever

I'm gonna get my ass kicked for this one, but after having heard some of the SYR stuff I think that the real "problem" is that it's allowed them to polarize themselves...

Okay, think of it like this, artists often engage in solo projects becuz they want to express themselves in ways that wouldn't suit their "main" band...with the SYR series, SY basically have become their own side project, putting out noisy, experimental discs for the SYRs and keeping more mainstream-friendly music for their major label releases...

I'll post more later becuz I'm out of break time..

exactly.

ted_kennedy, start to explore band memebers solo projects. so much different stuff compare sy's proper albums.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2006, 05:04 PM   #74
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_kennedy
I've thought of SY as the most innovative band I know of for a long time now, but it just hit me that, recently, they haven't been that innovative. Yeah, their music sounds like no one else's, but its still sounded the same for a long, long time.

What Im getting at is that Id like to see a SY album WITHOUT guitars. They should just trade all their guitars in for some MPCs, drum machines, synths, etc, and try and make something entirely new. I can say in all honesty that I would REALLY anticipate hearing an album like that, and who can say that about the more recent SY albums (as decent as they are).

I think some of the stuff they did on the Whitey album was very interesting and its a shame they didnt go down that avenue with their later stuff.

Who's with me?

this is a laughable concept at best i mean have you ever heard of the group Kraftwerk? they'd hardly be innovative if they went this route...as such this idea is a failure.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2006, 05:10 PM   #75
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Whatever

I'm gonna get my ass kicked for this one, but after having heard some of the SYR stuff I think that the real "problem" is that it's allowed them to polarize themselves...

Okay, think of it like this, artists often engage in solo projects becuz they want to express themselves in ways that wouldn't suit their "main" band...with the SYR series, SY basically have become their own side project, putting out noisy, experimental discs for the SYRs and keeping more mainstream-friendly music for their major label releases...

I'll post more later becuz I'm out of break time..

i can't disagree with you on this because i sorta feel the same way. i mean there is a definite difference on how the band conveys itself musically in 2006 versus say 1985, bad moon rising arguably is their most experimentally challenging album using collages of tape sounds within their "rock" format... it be a stretch to see them release another record as their main effort along those lines again.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2006, 08:36 PM   #76
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
back when they got their gear stolen i wondered if they would revert to the bad moon era practise of using the tapes on stage between songs in order to retune the guitars. i don't think they had so many guitars back then, so they had to retune between songs. might have lead to more interesting stuff. yeah, i think the combination of SYRs and gear theft marked a change in the band. not necessarily good or bad, just different. also, i don't mind if they mellow out a bit with age. it happens. deal with it. let the young dudes act like young dudes. they will follow whatever path they want, and i doubt it will be a re-enactment of their early days, or driven by marketing, etc...
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2006, 06:02 AM   #77
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
couldnt have put it better myself sway. sy have had and still do have 100% control of their output. they play and record what they feel like and ok so what, rather ripped isnt the greatest sy album ever, and even we are getting complaints (we as in the sy community here on the bbs) about the destroyed room. it seems to me that if sy decided to go right back and play and record shit like confusion and bad moon again people will accuse them of "clinging on to their past" and tell them to "grow up and mature and act their age".

its getting boring this sy fans bashing sy. they have been going for a quarter of a century now, they have released umpteen records, hundreds if you count their solo and side shit. they embrace a wealth of diverse styles and genres. their music evolves more and more and grows like them. it seems sy have simply outgrown most of their fanbase who still wish dearly for sy to bring out another daydream or another evol.... well IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN! quit living in the past fuckers because sooner rather than later sy will end and what will you complain about........

whinge whinge whinge whinge
Old 11.09.2006, 06:05 AM   #78
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
couldnt have put it better myself sway. sy have had and still do have 100% control of their output. they play and record what they feel like and ok so what, rather ripped isnt the greatest sy album ever, and even we are getting complaints (we as in the sy community here on the bbs) about the destroyed room. it seems to me that if sy decided to go right back and play and record shit like confusion and bad moon again people will accuse them of "clinging on to their past" and tell them to "grow up and mature and act their age".

its getting boring this sy fans bashing sy. they have been going for a quarter of a century now, they have released umpteen records, hundreds if you count their solo and side shit. they embrace a wealth of diverse styles and genres. their music evolves more and more and grows like them. it seems sy have simply outgrown most of their fanbase who still wish dearly for sy to bring out another daydream or another evol.... well IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN! quit living in the past fuckers because sooner rather than later sy will end and what will you complain about........

whinge whinge whinge whinge
Amen. Repped.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.09.2006, 07:33 AM   #79
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
2-1 rep back at you
Old 11.09.2006, 09:33 AM   #80
transmogrifier
empty page

transmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's asses
I swear, half of this board don't even like Sonic Youth, and instead are in the middle of some sort of cyber-space performance art, seeing how much bollocks they can spout out from under the guise of a fan before they are called on said bollocks. It's sweet, in a way, that they put so much time and energy into a band they dislike so much. Dedicated to their art.
transmogrifier is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth