Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page LULU
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.07.2011, 05:44 PM   #61
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
There's no evidence in a court of love. Just love. And a smell you just can't place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2011, 05:49 PM   #62
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Dear Glice,

Join our party.

lots of love,
queen witch knox

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2011, 06:10 PM   #63
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I havenīt heard the whole record, but what Iīve heard it sound to me miserable. Lyrics may be great, but the way Lou "sings" them is miserable. I also like some music that I consider perverse, but I donīt think this is perverse. But of course everybody have own opionions about whatīs perverse.
I assume that with ''miserable'' in this case you mean ''not pleasant to the ear''. Lou Reed's voice has never really sounded pretty to my ears, but somehow he's got a way of intoning words which I've always found interesting. And on his best music it really works. I'd say his voice is overall at its most pleasant on ''Transformer'', ''Berlin'' and some songs on ''Coney Island Baby''. Over the years the same voice turned from coldly flat to plain dull-sounding and kind of forced, where before it had a spiteful, and occasionally mantric quality to it I could appreciate. I think on this record he started playing with it again for the first time in many years. It's genuinely angry and grotesque sounding, like your most feared uncle when he turns up completely drunk at the family christmas gathering, and suddenly he playfully tries to strangle you. That kind of WTF factor. Reed on top form does the WTF thing better than you and me. Boo woo!
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2011, 10:35 PM   #64
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I assume that with ''miserable'' in this case you mean ''not pleasant to the ear''. Lou Reed's voice has never really sounded pretty to my ears, but somehow he's got a way of intoning words which I've always found interesting. And on his best music it really works. I'd say his voice is overall at its most pleasant on ''Transformer'', ''Berlin'' and some songs on ''Coney Island Baby''. Over the years the same voice turned from coldly flat to plain dull-sounding and kind of forced, where before it had a spiteful, and occasionally mantric quality to it I could appreciate. I think on this record he started playing with it again for the first time in many years. It's genuinely angry and grotesque sounding, like your most feared uncle when he turns up completely drunk at the family christmas gathering, and suddenly he playfully tries to strangle you. That kind of WTF factor. Reed on top form does the WTF thing better than you and me. Boo woo!

Agree with everything. Street Hassle is really good too, I think.
Old 11.08.2011, 03:44 PM   #65
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
this particular record is bolder and more daring than anything Animal Collective - the first ''cool'' band that popped up into mind - have ever done. In that respect I don't understand why it's getting slated so much. Some of the lyrics are brilliant. In a couple of songs I find them even brutally sad. As you may already know, there aren't that many great lyricists in rock music at the moment.

Slagged especially by people who haven't listened to it or only heard a 10 second snippet - but thats what passes for opinion these days.

It probably did not need to be a double CD, however...

I think Lou's wife told him to do this, she's a pop culture mastermind and knows this will keep in him in the public eye.

And to anyone who says Lou hasn't done anything value since the 70's, if you haven't listened to his CD with his wife recorded at The STone then you don't know what you are talking about.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2011, 08:02 PM   #66
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
They played White Light/White Heat on Jools Holland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSQAv...layer_embedded

It's so bad, Hetfield probably is the most comical man in music though
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2011, 08:33 PM   #67
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
it isn't that impressive but I don't think it deserves all the bashing it's been getting.
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2011, 09:36 PM   #68
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, i actually kind of liked the white light white heat thing, at least i like the way that lou reed sang on it.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2011, 02:40 AM   #69
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses

Old 11.30.2011, 04:13 AM   #70
sy2004
stalker

sy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's assessy2004 kicks all y'all's asses
A perfect review of this thing some call an album:

Quote:
The life cycle of Metallica can easily be compared with that of a company. As start-up they were bursting with energy and enthusiasm and launched three breakthrough products that established their name. After an unexpected personnel change, the direction shifted slightly, but "…And Justice For All" was still very good and propelled them to international success. The 'Black' album promoted Metallica to global corporate and since then consolidation has become the standard. The enthusiasm and genuine creativity from the early years became a rare feature. In the 21st century, the conglomerate Metallica survived a monstrous product (‘St. Anger’) but rehabilitated themselves with ‘Death Magnetic’. Thanks to the massive downloading and fragmentation within the hard rock and metal genre, no band managed to oust Metallica from their throne as most popular metal band. A joint venture with Lou Reed needs to help Metallica’s fight against their faltering creativity.

Analogous to a global advertising campaign, the tension has been carefully built up by first releasing the concept and photographs by Anton Corbijn release, then the cover design, and finally the names of the songs and their lyrics. On paper, the cooperation between elderly rock rebel Lou Reed and Metallica looked at least intriguing. The story from 1913 by the German playwright Frank Wedekind about the life of an abused dancer seemed to provide sufficient points for a great musical adventure. Guitarist Kirk Hammett raised expectations by stating that the band has been spontaneous for the first time in twenty years and gave the album high marks for creativity. Now the album is finally, we can own judge ourselves.

‘Brandenberg Gate’ kicks off the double album with a rather slow beat. Lou Reed’s recitative presentation of the lyrics requires some adjustment, but after several spins still proves to more a nuisance than an enhancement. A talking Lou Reed is however bearable, his singing voice is downright awful. He sings out of tune and often appalling bad. ‘The View’ sounds like a recording from Metallica’ garage days sessions. Basically it is just a collection of riffs that go nowhere and sounds like a warming up tune by a roadie. Reed’s vocals are again terrible. As soon as Hetfield takes over the vocals the song becomes enjoyable. ‘Pumping Blood’ has a trademark staccato riff and an intermezzo in which Reed reads his poetry-like lyrics. After some experimental drumming the song ends in a mess. On ‘Mistress Blood’ we hear a thrash riff that could have come off ‘Kill em all’. Unfortunately Reed’s vocal performance again ruins everything. On the fifth song the bar is set even lower with a bunch of chords that sound like practice material for new songs. ‘Cheat On Me’ has a slow start, develops into a soundscape during which Lou Reed reads aloud. Not until the final quarter the song kicks into motion. The eight minutes that follow are aptly called ‘Frustration’. The next low point is called ‘Little Dog’ and is extremely boring. Is this the band that once ignited the Aardschokdag festival and released classics like ‘Ride The Lightning’ and ‘Master of Puppets’? ‘Dragon’ is one of the most experimental songs and starts so bad that you’re running to the skip-button. It’s just resonance with the out of tune voice of Reed. The second half of the song is better, but way too monotonous. ‘Junior Dad’ closes this epic failure in style.

Metallica deserves credit for this bold step, but also massive criticism for the disappointing and downright awful results. A positive point is the production. Metallica hasn’t had a production in which guitar, bass and drums sounded sharp, deep and clear in quite some time. Such a production would have made ‘Death Magnetic’ a lot stronger. This is not the avant-garde masterpiece we hoped for, but unbearable garbage. This is audio food for masochists. The band reputation is down the drain (again) and they will have to come up with a very strong album to wash the aftertaste of this epic failure away.

http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showrevie...=20224&lang=en

sy2004 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2011, 04:21 AM   #71
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
"i am the table..."

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2011, 04:29 AM   #72
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by candymoan
"i am the table..."

u know everyone talks shit on that line but is it really any worse than Ļiīm the cocker on the rock....Ļ
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2011, 05:27 AM   #73
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
nah...
it's just that hetfield had been taking himself far too seriously and it's nice to see that change..

it's not only about the message per se, but the delivery kills me each time i hear it..

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2012, 11:01 PM   #74
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

This album brings back talking about characters, and Lou Reed is good at writing about characters. Imagine, in a world where almost everyone is so busy with talking about themselves, what it's like to observe and write about other people.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth