Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.12.2011, 12:44 AM   #14241
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Silent Hill
Old 03.12.2011, 07:34 AM   #14242
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Someone on a msg board asked me today to name a horror film I liked from the past 10 years. I was stumped. INSIDE and HIGH TENSION (if you can get over the unnecessary ending -- I guess it helps to understand the whole movie is from one character's point of view, therefore the implausibility makes sense) and some Japanese "sorta-horror" stuff (SUICIDE CLUB, VERSUS, and so on) were all great, but there wasn't really any cool giallo films, and as far as American films go......... Henenlotter's BAD BIOLOGY is great, and that's pretty much it. I mean, I can list plenty of films that entertained me mainly because of their absolute stupidity -- MULVA, POT ZOMBIES, both versions of THE WORST HORROR MOVIE EVER MADE -- but if we're talking "serious" horror, most attempts were just lame (AUGUST UNDERGROUND and MURDER SET PIECES come to mind as lame as hell, especially when SCRAPBOOK came out way before them and did pretty much the same thing). Seriously -- where's the PREMUTOS? Where's the EVIL DEAD 2? Where's the DEAD ALIVE? Where's the SLIME CITY, BODY MELT, STREET TRASH, MANIAC, BRAIN DAMAGE, CHRISTMAS EVIL, etc? The horror film is sad. I mean, when I was 13, all I bought were horror movies, I wouldn't even deal with anything else, I had 1200 horror VHS's before I got rid of my collection. And thinking about it now, BLOOD FREAK, BLOOD FEAST, GORE GORE GIRLS, EVIL WITHIN: BABY BLOOD, DON'T OPEN TILL XMAS, MANIAC COP 2, THE STUFF... all that shit was priceless, was almost genius compared to the crap coming out nowadays. I mean, Japan has ALWAYS been the greatest country in the world for cinema, and I'm going to go ahead and say that if you consider certain Tsukamoto films as horror at all, then, yeah, VITAL and GEMINI (and a film he starred in but didn't direct called MAREBITO) were a few of the only "horror" films to do it for me. Also, can't forget STRANGE CIRCUS... WILD ZERO.... etc. They took chances... and succeeded wildly and brilliantly. Strangely, I actually liked Argento's THIRD MOTHER: MOTHER OF TEARS, despite thinking Argento overall has made a lot of stinky ass turds. But it was probably his best film since STENDHAL SYNDROME. Anyway, it all goes into what your definition of "horror" is, obviously the film REFLECTIONS OF EVIL was by far the greatest film of the 00's, I'm going to go ahead and say it's in the top 20 films of all time...

What a masterpiece. ESPECIALLY if you can get your hands on the 4 hour version. But at the same time, the "horror" aspects -- while truely horrifying -- are merely a facade, for the deeper social issues covered..

It's like.. man, where are the groundbreaking classics like GORE GORE GIRLS?

Where's our TORSO?!

....where are the groundbreaking, genius horror films of old?

So, I thought long and hard and while I concluded there'll never be anything that comes close to something like DEAD ALIVE, I think the best PURE horror film of the last 11 years is SUBCONSCIOUS CRUELTY...

The best way to describe it is Jodorowsky making a gore film, with Lynch occasionally peaking in to make suggestions. It's truely original, mindbogglingly well made, and genuinely disturbing. It's an honest-to-god great film.

Aside from that, it all just goes into what oyu consider "horror" I guess, RUBBER'S LOVER and PINNOCHIO 964 are masterpieces, though they are more cyberpunk, a genre perfected by TOKYO FIST, TETSUO II, some of Ishii's films, and DEATH POWDER....

Anyway, if you manage to see a good horror film in the 00's, cherish it. It's truely a dying breed. As much as I have enjoyed Troma films like Combat Shock and Unspeakable, as much as I totally love and adore Something Weird, and countless other DVD companies -- they're sorta the problem. Horror films seem to all be schlocky and self-referential, without doing anything new. ,A bunch of people patting themselves on the back for making obscure references to horror films that are way better... all for the sake of them and thier friends to have a good laugh...

you just simply can't make a good horror film and expect it to find an audience. Helll, honest-to-god classics like NIGHTMARE IN A DAMAGED BRAIN and DEATH LAID AN EGG don't even have U.S. distribution, while films like MESSIAH OF EVIL don't get bought once they ARE put out.

There is a creepy ambience to even the smaller, less-good (I don't want to say "bad") films like SUPERSTITION, that you won't find nowadays. Look at a great film like ROCK N ROLL NIGHTMARE; it's kinda crappy and hilariously bad, yeah (I still contend the final 10 minutes are the funniest 10 minutes ever put on film, EVER), but it still had a real ATMOSPHERE to it, one that can't be perfected; the recent sequel, INTERCESSOR, is the worst film I've seen in my entire life.

As a genre, I guess, horror must seem pretty limited to the people interested in making it, or it has to have a certain angle/hook to get people interested, to get produced or whatever... but I still think there are tons of brilliant things you can do with horror... like at Cronenberg. Very few of his films are traditionally "Horror" but even the films that ARE a bit more "horror", like VIDEODROME, really succeeded with a concept that had never been done before -- and will probably only be done again when they remake it as YOUTUBEDROME.

I just miss interesting horror films. The 300 or so giallos I currently have will just have to keep me company until the latest remake/rehash/homage comes out. Oh well.

fOR THOSE wondering, my top 10 horror films are:

1. MANIAC (1980)
2. Dead Alive
3. Evil DEad II
4. THE GATES OF HELL/CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD
5. Tenebre
6. VIDEODROME
7. TORSO
8. NIGHTMARE in a DAMAGED BRAIN
9. All the Colors of the Dark
10. PREMUTOS

Of course, there are films I'd love to incldue, like POSSESSION (1981) but I tired to limit to films that 99% of people would consider "horror". Probably a pretty cliche list, note I tried to keep it one-director-per-film also (otherwise, Argento would probably make another appearance)...

Man, I just think of little films like the grocery-store slasher INTRUDER, or Bava's simple-but-effective BAY OF BLOOD (which was later completely ripped off for FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3)... probably shot on a shoestring in a week but man, they were EFFECTIVE. They worked!

Anyway, enough ranting from this old fogey, carry on.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2011, 09:22 AM   #14243
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

a-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's asses

+ short q/a with director after screening

i just came home from screening of Nyback Presents: Kill a Commie for Christ.
Old 03.12.2011, 11:14 AM   #14244
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

the offence - 9/10

Ever notice I consistently give 8 and 9 out of 10 to films directed by Sidney Lumet? Ever notice Sidney Lumet has directed a shit ton of films? Get what I'm saying? This guy is MAYBE the best American director of all time, all things considered. THE NETWORK. THE VERDICT. DOG DAY AFTERNOON. SERPICO. PRINCE OF THE CITY. 12 ANGRY MEN. BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD. It just goes on and on and on and on. Nothing flashy about his style. Nothing INSANEEEEEEE. Just strajght-up GREAT fucking a) acting b) directing c) stories. And, creepily, his films often feature no soundtrack at all (I noticed GLENGARRY GLENN ROSS had no soundtrack either and it ruled; in fact, I think in some weird way I usually end up really loving films with no soundtrack. I even like I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, sorta -- I mean, it's better than LAST HOUSE, at least... uh.. okay, bad example).

Anyway, THE OFFENCE fucking rules. It's got Sean Connery in his first non-Bond role since taking on Bond. His next role would be in the amazing Zardoz. Okay, this isn't a good review. But this is a great film. Sidney Lumet kicks ass.

Old 03.12.2011, 11:46 AM   #14245
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
My top 1 horror films: Gremlins.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2011, 10:25 PM   #14246
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
God damn atsonicpark... you've spiked my Japanese film interest yet again! FUNERAL PROCESSION OF ROSES! Looks fucking amazing.

SRSLY WHO IS THIS WOMAN? Beautiful! With one look at her features I must watch this movie.

1969! This film definitely cutting edge, looks so fresh.

Anyways I watched:

I liked Memento. I hate the new Batman. I think his version of Insomnia was good. Never seen Inception. But I can say this.. the Following is his best movie. Neo-noir perfection.

Nothing more to say. It's Battle Royale and I've finally seen it. Now to buy it, and watch it over and over, again and again. I think the runner chick was my favourite student.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2011, 10:30 PM   #14247
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Last movie I watched was "Tetsuo: The Iron Man". I know this movie is loved by at least one other messageboard member. I saw it for the first time. Do you guys think "Eraserhead" played a bit influence on the movie? It reminded me of it in terms of just weirdness.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2011, 11:41 PM   #14248
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2011, 11:44 PM   #14249
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses

Old 03.13.2011, 02:13 AM   #14250
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Old 03.13.2011, 03:48 AM   #14251
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Old 03.13.2011, 07:29 PM   #14252
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

\
Old 03.14.2011, 02:43 AM   #14253
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses

"The Passion of Joan of Arc" Been on a real silent film kick for quite awhile and Turner Classic Movies shows one every Sunday apparently. This was really great.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2011, 03:45 AM   #14254
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

a-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's asses

Old 03.14.2011, 05:54 PM   #14255
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
"never let me go". not bad. not as devastating as the book. good acting though.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2011, 05:17 AM   #14256
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yes indeed. btjunkie that shiiiiiii. if you can't find it... you should lemme lemmu a cinemageddon invite.

Old 03.15.2011, 06:04 AM   #14257
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Walk Hard, which sucked hard. Followed immediately by some weirdo documentary called "The Secret", which sucked even harder. Shit played out liked the worst of informercials. The shit people buy into, Jesus. Actually, this shit was even sillier than Jesus. I couldn't bring myself to finish it.
Old 03.15.2011, 07:35 AM   #14258
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2011, 06:38 PM   #14259
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

eyes of a stranger

weatherman '69 (sonic youth is in this!)

BOOK OF MANSON

pettibon is n3rrrrrrrr4t

Old 03.15.2011, 10:10 PM   #14260
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses

Classic.

Malkovich, the best jewel thief ever. Better than Eastwood or De Niro.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
613663703710711712 713 7147157167237638131213 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth