Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Vedder / Pollard Story
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.30.2006, 11:15 AM   #1
bucklebone
bad moon rising

bucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard sucka
I went to the Robert Pollard / Pearl Jam show in Cincinnati over the weekend. Great show BTW, finishing with Pollard joining PJ on stage for a rousing rendition of Baba (Bobby) O'Reily.

Anyway, after the show I joined up with a couple of friends (Dayton folks with GbV connections) for a couple of beers at a downtown hotel bar. Lo and behold, sitting on a couch in the main bar was Eddie Vedder, Bob Pollard and about 4 or 5 other Dayton folks.

I didn't make an effort to join the crowd even though one of my buddies was sitting directly across from Pollard and Eddie. I did get to overhear some of the conversation...Eddie toasting Bob...Bob talking songwriting...psycophants backslapping and congratulating.

But the fucked up thing from the night was at 2:30am some douche-rag pearl jam fan slipped from their fifth floor balcony and nearly fell 50 feet to the floor and tables below. This fuckstick is dangling by his arms from the balcony while his two buddies are standing next to him yelling "EDDIE!! EDDIE!!" They eventually pull him back up, but by that time one of Cincinnati's Finest is on his way up and the Pollard / Vedder table is cleared and everyone is heading back to their rooms.

Got to finally shake Eddie's hand by the elevator. That guy is always smiling and has about the best demeanor you could ask for in a high and mighty rock star, totally approachable. I don't think anyone handles their success better than Vedder. Pollard on the other hand was drunk as a skunk, difficult to approach and seemed more bothered to be around fans. I'm sure he's a good guy. He has lots of cool friends and a cool girlfriend (she was very nice, and cute...as pictured sitting on Pollard's lap on the back of From a Compound Eye cd).

Anyways, fun night with a near-terrifying ending.

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600
bucklebone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
I've heard that Robert Pollard is ALWAYS drunk. Cool story though.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2006, 03:40 PM   #3
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah Eddie rules....I don't understand why everyone hates him here.
Old 06.30.2006, 06:52 PM   #4
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
while i don't like pearl jam at all (except for one song), one of the things i find most irritating about this board is the way people get flamed just for talking about liking pearl jam.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2006, 09:15 PM   #5
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i met eddie last time they were in aus, and i ask him if i could buy him a drink and he wouldnt let me and bought me one instead
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2006, 09:52 PM   #6
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Says it all.
Old 06.30.2006, 11:37 PM   #7
corporate.ghost
empty page

corporate.ghost has tongues queuing up for a rim-festcorporate.ghost has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
Yeah Eddie rules....I don't understand why everyone hates him here.
You said it, Krastian!
corporate.ghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2006, 11:47 PM   #8
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Heh, he's just fun to make fun of. I have absolutely no problem with him. Nor any of the other people I make fun of. I think people should be proud of the music they listen to. Scenesters ruin everything.

Unless I make fun of Simple Plan. Then I'm dead serious.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2006, 12:44 PM   #9
bucklebone
bad moon rising

bucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard suckabucklebone cold hard sucka
I think Eddie was almost taking Pollard under his wing the way Neil Young did it for Pearl Jam...although I think Neil was doing it more for his own benefit than that of PJ's.

Anyways, Eddie's a real benevolent guy. Nice to see someone like him.

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600
Old 07.03.2006, 02:51 PM   #10
krastian
invito al cielo

Drifting awaaaaay
Drifting awaaaaay
Old 07.05.2006, 09:07 AM   #11
bucklebone
bad moon rising

They are just maybe too benevalent. They need a good band fued or a drug / alcohol problem to steer things in the right direction. I think Vedder's drinking during shows is a put-on. Makes things a little too contrived.

I HATE YOU
--Atari 2600

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth