Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Can you distinguish different styles of music for what they really are?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Poll
Yes 6 42.86%
No 3 21.43%
Undecided 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01.30.2008, 10:36 AM   #21
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I am not saying that all music can be caged under the same umbrella that easily, but there is, mostly, a correct way to describe music even if it's not with a single term.

Yeah, i think your right in some way. If you strip down rigorously every sound in one song from one album, and calculate every direction and root you will reach a certain amount of truth, but i see that as a worthless thing since the rest of songs from that album take different directions, and maybe the rest of the albums from that artist also take turns, so your opinion will be inapplicable in the real hazy music community / world (even it is not that complicated, there is fair ammount of obstacles). And maybe other person, who does the same thing reaches another verdict... so here we are on SY Gossip
andrei is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2008, 11:03 AM   #22
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei
Yeah, i think your right in some way. If you strip down rigorously every sound in one song from one album, and calculate every direction and root you will reach a certain amount of truth, but i see that as a worthless thing since the rest of songs from that album take different directions, and maybe the rest of the albums from that artist also take turns, so your opinion will be inapplicable in the real hazy music community / world (even it is not that complicated, there is fair ammount of obstacles). And maybe other person, who does the same thing reaches another verdict... so here we are on SY Gossip

That's why personal taste and musical skills are generally separated from one another, with due respect to both.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2008, 11:12 AM   #23
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I put undecided. Some times I can tell what is what, but when it get's into thing like black metal vs death metal I have no idea.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2008, 11:49 AM   #24
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

andrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's assesandrei kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
That's why personal taste and musical skills are generally separated from one another, with due respect to both.

And since we're 6.6 billion different personalities and brains around the world (according to wiki ), that is almost utopia.
Like i said before, it can be apllied but in a very small circle of music "nerds", and since there is MTV and shitload of dork journalist, i mentain at the belief that this is almost utopian.
Old 01.30.2008, 11:53 AM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I try to use the genre's that will most correctl;y describe what I am talking about.
sure, it is tough to talk about music, but language is all wa have to understand and communicate with, so it has to be used. genres are not so specific, and can be applied to general groups. sonic youth and the rolling stones can both be called ROCK. They are ROCK music.
Howveer, to better define what we speak of, you can say that the roling stones are heavily "blues-based rock", or to get even more specific "blues based British rock" because british bands do sound different from american bands, even when they are both trying to do "blues rock"

sonic youth has been around long enough to where thy ahve explored quite a lot of sub-genre's within the "rock" sound. from their early days as noise rockers, to their mid period which could be referred to as melodic noisy rock to their later stuff which is more of a song-based, straight ahead rock.

genres are necessary. however. genres are not limitations, just descriptions. if you choose to see a genre name as a limitation that is yr problem.
Old 01.30.2008, 11:54 AM   #26
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
I put undecided. Some times I can tell what is what, but when it get's into thing like black metal vs death metal I have no idea.

death metal is supposedly faster, higher pitch, frenetic while black metal is satanic and ussually slower more melvins-y
Old 01.30.2008, 12:43 PM   #27
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
death metal is supposedly faster, higher pitch, frenetic while black metal is satanic and ussually slower more melvins-y
i dont think black is slower, i think the singing is a bit more satanic, like burzum, his music isnt slow, be he just kind of screams. death might be more growling...
i dont know... those things tend to confuse me

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2008, 12:44 PM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I totally disagree with this. So what would you make of the way certain traditional folk pieces are perceived in any given country? You're only mentioning styles of rock that aren't even that particularly complex and are tagged in a lazy way. The prefix math was put in front of rock to describe music that is more staccato-like in nature, even though there is very little of the complexity of calculations in most of its exponents (just a personal opinion). A lot of it sounds like soporiphic and slightly more lo-fi progressive rock, or better still, progressive rock ashamed of its own status. There is terminology that is there for a reason. Sub-genres, like you call them, are only variations of any given style. Garage rock is a good example in that it is such a formulaic style of rock that sometimes borrows from other genres (arabic scales, cacophony etc), still mantaining its garage rock stance. I am not saying that all music can be caged under the same umbrella that easily, but there is, mostly, a correct way to describe music even if it's not with a single term.

Good thread, sorry to sully it with my mitherings.

Following the gorgeous (did I mention she's gorgeous? Yeah, she well is) Nefeli's example:

1)Genres are rarely so simple as precise descriptions; however, they are rarely (in a broader context) so indefinite as to evade musical description.

2) Musical description (as above with Staccato, or your earlier assertion about the difference between drone & noise) is distinct from contingent description - something like trip-hop always struck me as a geographical description, although that's possibly due to my proximity to the makers. Dubstep, so far (and I'll admit that I've heard not enough) seems to describe ravers, dubheads and instrumental Grime, all distinct and not quite coalesced into one form (to my ears - I may well be wrong).

3) A lot of genres describe themselves perfectly, in musical terms. Again - DRONE doesn't need to be described (and, brilliantly, it's barely a genre, more a description). NOISE is, uh, noise. noise (lc) is sounds outside of the musical spectrum, unless consolidated within systems, be they ad-hoc or extant (so Stockhausen/ Xenakis aren't noise).

4) I have no more points to make at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2008, 01:13 PM   #29
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It seems (and it is not a problem) that there is always an eternal debate as to what style an artist plays in, be it the unfair perception of, say, Sonic Youth as mere noise rock merchants, or certain fringes of indie rock bands that have a pop edge to them being deemed as proper pop songwriters. It is a common thing that happens constantly, and it is only normal for people being confused by the constant contexualization that music in general is subjected to by the scribblers of this world, both on paper and on the internet. Do you generally attribute the right style to an artist, or are you just happy to be fed vague information without questioning it? Poll on the way.

I don't know. I generally think that the best bands defy categorization. Like Sonic Youth.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2008, 01:24 PM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

compared to the history of all music sonic youth are very easy to categorize

they play experimental-leaning dissonant rock. that covers them from their first EP to their current music
Old 01.30.2008, 01:43 PM   #31
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Good thread, sorry to sully it with my mitherings.

Following the gorgeous (did I mention she's gorgeous? Yeah, she well is) Nefeli's example:

1)Genres are rarely so simple as precise descriptions; however, they are rarely (in a broader context) so indefinite as to evade musical description.

2) Musical description (as above with Staccato, or your earlier assertion about the difference between drone & noise) is distinct from contingent description - something like trip-hop always struck me as a geographical description, although that's possibly due to my proximity to the makers. Dubstep, so far (and I'll admit that I've heard not enough) seems to describe ravers, dubheads and instrumental Grime, all distinct and not quite coalesced into one form (to my ears - I may well be wrong).

3) A lot of genres describe themselves perfectly, in musical terms. Again - DRONE doesn't need to be described (and, brilliantly, it's barely a genre, more a description). NOISE is, uh, noise. noise (lc) is sounds outside of the musical spectrum, unless consolidated within systems, be they ad-hoc or extant (so Stockhausen/ Xenakis aren't noise).

4) I have no more points to make at this point.

Good points from everyone. On the subject of describing music in general, does anyone agree that it seems more and more difficult for music journalists these days to coin new terms to describe groups of bands and the music that they play? Take the sort of crap that has been coming up on the NME ( I know, easy target and all....) for a long time, with your 'New Rave', 'New Grave' etc etc.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2008, 01:50 PM   #32
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

there is a big difference between naming a band's music describing their sound, and namin a band's music describing their fans
Old 01.30.2008, 02:47 PM   #33
andrei
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
On the subject of describing music in general, does anyone agree that it seems more and more difficult for music journalists these days to coin new terms to describe groups of bands and the music that they play?

I think as time goes by, music becomes more eclectic mainly because of the technological evolution. It's like an upside down pyramid. Techonology is developing, musical instruments are developing, human minds are developing (not necesarry in a better way) and the resources and influences are more varied.
If you had a band in the 60's you didn't had much options, you could be La Monte Young, you could be John Lennon, you could be Coltrane or a classical guy. Time formed new and new generations of artists and an influence for a 2007 band is more varied. Over that the highly increasing technological evolution, in terms of sound, is burying the root and is showcasing a relatively new product, and for a journalist a new brand name.
Old 01.31.2008, 07:37 AM   #34
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Oh yeah, I know the sort of thing. Gives no idea at all as to what to expect. Quite often I think they're sites that just quote the label's press release, rather than listening to the record and describing / reviewing it.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2008, 08:28 AM   #35
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia

i think labels are best for canned food and personal assignment

Amen to that.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth