Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Recommend me some pop music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.05.2008, 10:14 AM   #21
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Almost everything is pop music spare classical, country, most noise and world music.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2008, 10:34 AM   #22
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
Agreed, its not really important, but you are the one who suggested that they're material was amazing. Granted it is pop and I realize that, but Jesus man, I think you know there's better ''pop'' music out there than 'all the small things'. On the difference of fake vs. real, it is a real difference and you should know it. Honestly my friend, do you not know the difference between what sounds genuinely good and genuinely bad? Yes, yes I know...you don't care, but don't negate the entire subject. Essentially it boils down to opinion and I'm ok with that, seeing as if you are the one person who enjoys the word 'pederast' more than myself. Cheerio

I'm not having the wankfest of who listens to more or better music. I'm not having the fucking fake vs real discussion. It's a false distinction. These sorts of arguments are horseshit. 'Genuinely good' to most people is overly simply, a-melodic shit. A lot of what I enjoy is the same, an equal amount not so much.

AHHHHHHH GAY INTERNET ARGUMENTS.

I'M GOING TO THE PUB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2008, 10:38 AM   #23
sarramkrop

Trying to apply obscurantism rules to pop music. Way to go guys. Oh, and good call Toxic Johnny!

The rest of you: twats.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2008, 10:43 AM   #24
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
....''wankfest'' hahahaha
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2008, 10:44 AM   #25
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Trying to apply obscurantism rules to pop music. Way to go guys. Oh, and good call Toxic Johnny!

The rest of you: twats.

Old 01.05.2008, 10:46 AM   #26
sarramkrop

Great picture if I could actually see it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2008, 10:51 AM   #27
RdTv
invito al cielo

Old 01.05.2008, 12:40 PM   #28
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I just listen to the oldies station.
Old 01.05.2008, 12:46 PM   #29
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
yeah.

I guess it'd help if the first poster was a bit more specific.
Ah, well, you see, the first poster was deliberately inspecific. He wanted to see what people consider pop without causing an argument.

For the record, the best pop albums to buy are any by Girls Aloud.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2008, 01:03 PM   #30
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
While everybody's idea of pop is different (ob-vee-us-lee), here are my suggestions:

Brand New - Deja Entendu
Brand New - The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me
Matchbook Romance - Voices
Boys Night Out - Trainwreck
The Fall Of Troy - Doppelganger
The Fall Of Troy - Manipulator
311 - anything (that's not an album, all of their stuff is the same)
Alkaline Trio - Maybe I'll Catch Fire
Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning
Deftones - White Pony
My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge
Nofx - anything except Heavy Petting Zoo
Saosin - Saosin
The Sounds Of Animals Fighting - Tiger And The Duke
The Sounds Of Animals Fighting - Lover, The Lord Has Left Us
Sublime - 40 Oz. To Freedom
Sublime - Robbin' The Hood
Vendetta Red - White Knuckled Substance
Zebrahead - Waste Of Mind

I know not everybody here will consider this pop, but we all have different standards. Where I am from these bands are pretty POPular, and while most of the stuff that gets huge doesn't do much for me (Hawthorne Heights and Taking Back Sunday could die for all I care), I do like this stuff.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2008, 01:28 PM   #31
soapbars
the destroyed room

soapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's asses
the human league
buddy holly
ray charles
jonny cash
vanila fudge
the supremes
bruce springsteen
elvis
queen
devo
black sabbath
kate bush
the flaming lips
pulp
kiss
bat for lashes
blur
nirvana
beck
gene vincent
little richard
the beach boys
soapbars is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2008, 01:31 PM   #32
soapbars
the destroyed room

soapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's assessoapbars kicks all y'all's asses
crash test dummys
donovan
the kinks
roxy music
nick cave and the bad seeds
the pale saints
suede
the tears
tom jones
the breeders
the presidents of the usa
sub sub
sonic youth
Old 01.05.2008, 05:00 PM   #33
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
BLONDIE
NANCY SINATRA
lee hazelwood
beach boys
belle and sebastian (screw it trhey had some good albums)
the human league
the sparks
stereolab
SERGE GAINSBOURG

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2008, 10:34 AM   #34
soapbars
the destroyed room

the carpenters
the police
the ramones
echo and the bunnymen
cliff richard
elton john
mcalmont and butler
tanya donelly
lou reed
the las
the coral
Old 01.06.2008, 10:47 AM   #35
UVRAY
bad moon rising

UVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's assesUVRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Behind all the feedback and murderously heavy bass lines The Jesus & Mary Chain have written some fabulous pop songs.

Adam & The Ants' Kings Of The Wild Frontier remains one of the best pop albums of the 80's.

I also consider Duran Duran and The Police to be two of the greatest pop acts ever.

World Of Twist's Sons Of The Stage is a totally underrated pop song and should have been far bigger than it was in the 90's.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

UVRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2008, 11:39 AM   #36
sarramkrop

Am I the only one who thinks that the music snob always mentions Sugarbabes or Girls Aloud because they perceive them as 'cool' pop acts? They are both excellent at what they do, but I doubt that there are many posters on here who genuinely like pop music for what it is. Forcing it onto yourself is not gonna change much, innit?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2008, 12:00 PM   #37
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axq5JnPsYSg

The Coral..
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2008, 02:25 PM   #38
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Am I the only one who thinks that the music snob always mentions Sugarbabes or Girls Aloud because they perceive them as 'cool' pop acts? They are both excellent at what they do, but I doubt that there are many posters on here who genuinely like pop music for what it is. Forcing it onto yourself is not gonna change much, innit?

This is very true... however, the criticism (with which I agree) also lends itself to the 'hipper than thou' thing, and then you get caught up in a massive circle of brainmelting which takes you away from the good things, like actually listening to things.

It's much like the uber-cool, corduroy and shit glasses types with their terrible blogs/ podcasts and resident table at the Foundry who go on about how wonderful easy listening is. It worries me that I'm becoming/ am one of those, because I do quite like easy listening.

It's funny how Sugababes have always had that 'pop it's ok to like thing' wherease GA have only had it since, roughly, something kind of Ooh.

I haven't a leg to stand on in this criticism, in all fairness.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.09.2008, 05:48 PM   #39
Glice
invito al cielo

For those of you who might happen to care, I've taken the liberty of doing my top five singles of 2007.

One
Two
ThreeThis also happens to be my favourite video of the year.
Four
Five

So now you know.

Quote:
Old 01.09.2008, 05:54 PM   #40
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Glice, that was fucking horrible.
I gotta go wash my eyes and ears out.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth