Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.28.2015, 11:39 PM   #46241
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
yeh, but "Peg" is such a good song.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2015, 02:06 AM   #46242
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Severian, If I had 21 year son, I would have been 21 when I had him. Have you forgotten SY started already in the seventies and made their first record 1982? I think Thurston could be your grandgrandpa. Are you just joking or do you really think everybody who are here must be young or at least evry young shouldnīt talk to old ones? I think I am prick but sometimes I have wondered why you people who seem to be so in new music, listen also SY. Because I donīt hear nothing common in them. Anyway Itīs totally same to me what people are listening. And peopleīs ages just have no meaning to me.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2015, 11:43 AM   #46243
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Free Kitten - Inherit
Old 03.01.2015, 12:34 PM   #46244
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Severian, If I had 21 year son, I would have been 21 when I had him. Have you forgotten SY started already in the seventies and made their first record 1982? I think Thurston could be your grandgrandpa. Are you just joking or do you really think everybody who are here must be young or at least evry young shouldnīt talk to old ones? I think I am prick but sometimes I have wondered why you people who seem to be so in new music, listen also SY. Because I donīt hear nothing common in them. Anyway Itīs totally same to me what people are listening. And peopleīs ages just have no meaning to me.

I was really just fuckering around. I don't really know how to answer any of your questions. I don't care how old anyone is... But my parents are older than Thurson, so to me, all I can think of is my fishing hat wearing father hanging out on this board, going to Lightning Bolt shows and chatting about Rich Homie Quan.

But why does it strike you as odd that I like Sonic Youth so much? You're right, hey sound nothing like most of the new music that I get excited about, but that's because they're singular and perfect. And sonically, there's more of a connection between SY and new generations of experimental sound terrorists than you'd think. With each passing ear, I hear Sonic Youth's influence stretching out and creeping into new places.... It's one of the reasons why their music never really becomes ordinary or normal sounding.

Ah... is that cool?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2015, 01:07 PM   #46245
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Hey to his im surprised as hell anyone under 30 has even heard of sonic youth yo!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2015, 01:37 PM   #46246
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I was really just fuckering around.

i dont know man. you were being ageist with yourself in your career thread. so maybe it's a thing with you?

so yes. gmku turned 60 very recently. happy birthday!

any of us who has sufficient brains and luck should reach that age eventually.

hopefully nobody will be policing our listening choices at that point.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2015, 01:52 PM   #46247
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i dont know man. you were being ageist with yourself in your career thread. so maybe it's a thing with you?

I'm not policing anyone's listening choices. I have a confessed appreciation for Steely Dan. The only thing I find strange is that they've been mentioned on this board a few times just in the last few weeks. Nothing wrong with it... It's just a bit of a surprise.
Old 03.01.2015, 01:57 PM   #46248
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm not policing anyone's listening choices. I have a confessed appreciation for Steely Dan. The only thing I find strange is that they've been mentioned on this board a few times just in the last few weeks. Nothing wrong with it... It's just a bit of a surprise.

oh i thought you were suprised that someone barely older than thurston [eta: of kim's same age] would be a sy fan. maybe i misread. sorry.

someone here used to have a signature that compared the sea & cake to steely dan. i haven't seen signatures in ages but i used to like the sea & cake.

if you haven't seen gmku much before, he's also a big rolling stones fan-- just like ex-boardie satan who first showed up here when he was like 16 and is probably in her mid 20s now.

==

anyway, what i'm listening to -- a playlist that in the last 1/2 hour has included

-very early pink floyd
-deerhoof
-electralane
-rossini's semiramide overture (currently on)
Old 03.01.2015, 07:11 PM   #46249
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
A Thousand Leaves

Haven't heard Wildflower Soul, Hoarfrost and Hits Of Sunshine in quite a while.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2015, 07:29 PM   #46250
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses

Seiko Oomori I forget the name of the first...but the 2nd is Zettai Shoujo.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2015, 09:08 PM   #46251
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Hey to his im surprised as hell anyone under 30 has even heard of sonic youth yo!

Come on. When I saw them in 2009 at least a third of the audience wasn't even born when Daydream Nation came out. With a few exceptions, nobody needs to be of a certain age to like anything anymore. The us-vs.-them, my-generation-over-the-sorry-ass-shit-my-parents-listened-to 'tude is not as ubiquitous as it once was. The interwebs have collapsed time like a greasy taco and with the reissue industry at its peak people are not only fetishizing acts from "back in the day", but entire goddamn eras — in the lamentable case of the whole neo-postpunk/newwave/newpop bullcrap, for example, it's not just Joy Division and Gang Of Four you hear recycled, it's all the turdness that should have stayed in 1979: Spandau Ballet, Ultravox, A Motherfucking Flock Of Shitty Seagulls. And with virtually every freakin' song ever recorded in the HISTORY OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM available in a matter of seconds, both the "older than" and "younger than" camps continuously amass collections in which Johnny Cash and Lady Caca coexist just because of the premium a mediocre Hollywood flick and the latest idiotic dress/costume put on them.

Don't trust anyone over 30? Don't trust anyone under 30? Don't trust anyone's music collection, period.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2015, 01:49 AM   #46252
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Come on. When I saw them in 2009 at least a third of the audience wasn't even born when Daydream Nation came out. With a few exceptions, nobody needs to be of a certain age to like anything anymore. The us-vs.-them, my-generation-over-the-sorry-ass-shit-my-parents-listened-to 'tude is not as ubiquitous as it once was. The interwebs have collapsed time like a greasy taco and with the reissue industry at its peak people are not only fetishizing acts from "back in the day", but entire goddamn eras — in the lamentable case of the whole neo-postpunk/newwave/newpop bullcrap, for example, it's not just Joy Division and Gang Of Four you hear recycled, it's all the turdness that should have stayed in 1979: Spandau Ballet, Ultravox, A Motherfucking Flock Of Shitty Seagulls. And with virtually every freakin' song ever recorded in the HISTORY OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM available in a matter of seconds, both the "older than" and "younger than" camps continuously amass collections in which Johnny Cash and Lady Caca coexist just because of the premium a mediocre Hollywood flick and the latest idiotic dress/costume put on them.

Don't trust anyone over 30? Don't trust anyone under 30? Don't trust anyone's music collection, period.

Amen. Also, Soup Nazi has the best signature. Meanwhile...

Sherburne County 10" by Marcus Eads">Sherburne County 10" by Marcus Eads

and the latest installments of Fahey week over at
http://delta-slider.blogspot.com/
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2015, 03:01 AM   #46253
a baby in 1980
bad moon rising

a baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's assesa baby in 1980 kicks all y'all's asses

http://open.spotify.com/album/5m1RkwKeU7MV0Ni6PH2lPy
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._H4ddLSZ-bkHpq
a baby in 1980 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2015, 10:19 AM   #46254
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

But why does it strike you as odd that I like Sonic Youth so much? You're right, hey sound nothing like most of the new music that I get excited about, but that's because they're singular and perfect. And sonically, there's more of a connection between SY and new generations of experimental sound terrorists than you'd think. With each passing ear, I hear Sonic Youth's influence stretching out and creeping into new places.... It's one of the reasons why their music never really becomes ordinary or normal sounding.

?
Not striking, just wondering...Like you wondered Steely Dan in SYG. I think SY music doesnīt sound at all eighties or nineties music and really not 2000 music. To me itīs sound very lot sixties & seventies music and thatīs one big reason why I love it so much. But that just my opinion. SY is very far of Steely Dan, but a nearer of it than 2000 music.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2015, 11:00 AM   #46255
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Ive beeb listening to 60s and 70s music for years and while sy certainly has the feel of such bands they don't sound anything similar

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2015, 12:24 PM   #46256
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses

can't stop playing this album
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2015, 01:15 PM   #46257
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
At 60, I'm finally wise enough to feel more amused than irritated by narrow-minded idiots. Maybe I just missed a forum rule. Are we supposed to only post about certain kinds of music? If so, I'm sure I can find things I listen to that qualify.
Old 03.02.2015, 01:54 PM   #46258
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

this was superhilarious & good writing.
Old 03.02.2015, 02:02 PM   #46259
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Yep. Love the greasy taco analogy.
Old 03.02.2015, 02:31 PM   #46260
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

You know, I actually think this is kind of a "thing with me."

I am ashamed of my age. In more ways than I'm willing to admit. I'm ashamed of the fact that I have been roughly 5 years older than 85% of my co-workers over the last five years. I feel constantly guilty for how little I've accomplished in my life... so much of what I have accomplished has been purely for the sake of other people. And I'm ashamed that so few of the people that I've re-arranged my life for seem to be willing to even entertain the idea of supporting me (emotionally) while I pursue my own goals.

So while I wasn't truly slamming Steely Dan, and I was, more than anything, responding with self-deprecating remarks to Genteel's comment about gmku being old enough to be my father (which I suppose he is, and good on him for getting that far), I think it's true that I struggle with a covert and warped form of ageism that is a function of my own inability to feel content with myself or my life.

All I see is a big ticking clock.

I'm going through some shit right now. Sorry everyone.
1813221322632303231023112312 2313 231423152316232323632413 > »
-->

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth