Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page To wohever bought the deluxe edition cds..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.15.2007, 04:15 AM   #21
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

rappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
[snip]
Of course I have them all on vinyl too and I even picked up a second hand copy of the Blast First CD of DDN just to see if it really sounded different to the Geffen version. Gosh.
Well, does it? I've always wondered as well, but never came across the Blast First edition. </end trainspotting>

rappard is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 05:34 AM   #22
sound_world
empty page

sound_world has a brilliant futuresound_world has a brilliant futuresound_world has a brilliant futuresound_world has a brilliant futuresound_world has a brilliant futuresound_world has a brilliant futuresound_world has a brilliant futuresound_world has a brilliant futuresound_world has a brilliant futuresound_world has a brilliant futuresound_world has a brilliant future
yeh i kept mine when i got the Deluxe versions , didnt see the point in selling them and bsides i spend way 2 long looking for those single cd editions anyway ,
sound_world is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 05:40 AM   #23
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
oh, welcome to the board sound_world!
Eventually I'll probably keep them as a memento (as jennthebenn said), protectmeyou, I still think the ddn remastered sounds WAY better than the geffen edition, even with "hot-mastering".
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 05:58 AM   #24
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

Protectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's asses
in what way does it sound better?
Protectmeyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 06:02 AM   #25
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
you can (well, I can, guess it's also a matter of personal "inclinations") simply hear better what they play, and it's not just a matter of higher volume.

edit: here's a thread I opened a while ago asking for opinions on the sound of the different DDN editions,

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13895

scott v's post there sums up pretty much what I meant here about the sound of the deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
ok i have the 3 editions that are being asked about for comparison (1. Blast First/Enigma original cd 2. DGC reissue 1995 3. Deluxe Edition)

the Blast First original cd is the most quiet mostly because of the production and mastering of cds at that time, in the late 80's the cds were made were less loud and the fidelity is not as good as the standards of today.

the DGC reissue is louder and to my ears thats about it, its supposedly a remaster? (i dunno) but other than louder its not any clearer as a matter of fact when i played it in my stereo system (though not great but its very good) it has abit less clarity however it has slightly more bass presence which may impact on the sound.

the deluxe edition is indeed LOUD and meets the volume level of compact disc releases of today (as an experiment try playing cds produced today vs. 10 years ago vs. 15 or 20 years ago... there is a difference) plus its quite clean w/ a alot more clarity on the guitars, the vocals i always thought were good on this album so i don't hear much impact in that regard. the bass is more pronounced but doesn't impact clarity... plus they've broken down the "Trilogy" into three seperate tracks (a. wonder, b. hyperstation, z. eliminator jr.) which is a nice thing if you say want to make a mix or are DJing and only want to play a specific segment of it!

the eric's trip demo: although interesting the sound quality is a miss and seems abit awkward as an inclusion to Disc 1 (the complete album) personally i would've prefered "Su Nioj" an outtake from the Daydream Sessions but since that track is pretty weird and off the cuff and just what i call a "laugh jam" thats probably why it doesn't appear here.

Disc 2 is great most of the live tracks here sound quite good and are decent for the time, maybe the fidelity of kissability is obviously not as good as most of the others, as ther are some great and interesting takes of these songs, also providence is barely audible due to crowd noise but what do you expect. the B-sides to me are interesting but not exactly essential though they are very well done...
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 07:34 AM   #26
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
i gave mine on indefinate loan to mate who likes music in general but heneeds to be forced into the youth. he was forced, he now loves sy and offered to buy em off me. i declined ay money so he bought gave me a quarter of smoke insead.... fair deal i say! plus the cds are going t good use, not stuck in some charity bargain bin alongside peter cetera and the entire collection of glen medioros albums
Old 11.15.2007, 03:23 PM   #27
Gainsbarre
little trouble girl

Gainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's asses
Give 'em away! What do you need 'em for? Unless you have the Dirty cd with the banned artwork what difference does it make? There's many kids out there who could use a dose of Da Yoot.
I used to work at a record store and when certain cd's came in used that I had I would buy them just to give them away to people. I still have a few copies of Ol Dirty Bastard's Nigga Please I've yet to pass out. It's could for the soul/karma all that shit...
Gainsbarre is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 03:24 PM   #28
Gainsbarre
little trouble girl

Gainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's asses
Besides, the vinyl versions all sound better than the discs anyway...
Old 11.15.2007, 03:27 PM   #29
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
I kept my original single CDs. Don't know, I just couldn't sell them...
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2007, 03:28 PM   #30
Gainsbarre
little trouble girl

I'm not suggesting sell 'em. Give 'em out!
Old 11.15.2007, 11:12 PM   #31
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

Protectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainsbarre
Give 'em away! What do you need 'em for? Unless you have the Dirty cd with the banned artwork what difference does it make?

I take it you completely missed my post, or vehemently disagree with it?

NicFit, I find that the deluxe editions all sound the same - loud all of the time. There's little or no dynamics left. Which is fine for iPod and general mp3 listening.
But popping the cd into a good quality stereo with good speakers and you really hear a difference. Whereas the introduction of "Candle" creeps and sits nicely on the Geffen
version, the deluxe re (or is that hot-) master is loud from the get go. I can't hear anything clearer myself on the deluxes. If you have any examples that come to mind that I
can look out for, please do??

As I've said before here on this board, you're not hearing the entire wav form on these deluxe versions, they've been pumped up and had the edges chopped off - it's MISSING elements
of the final recorded product. How this sits alright with even the casual music listener, I do not know. Yes it's anal, but it's friggin quality music isn't it?
Protectmeyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 01:11 AM   #32
gohleekwang
stalker

gohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's asses
good that somebody pointed it out, i really disapointed with the deluxe of dirty. why is it so damn loud & overload?
gohleekwang is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 01:28 AM   #33
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectmeyou
I'm suprised that no one has touched on this:

I've kept all the single disc versions because all of the Deluxe versions have been "hot-mastered". They've all been victims of the loudness war, and I'd rather hear the cd's without compression or limiting .
original version on top, deluxe underneath - Teenage Riot:

wouldn't that clip and cause a loss of audio quality? this furthers my argument against deluxe editions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainsbarre
Besides, the vinyl versions all sound better than the discs anyway...

exactly, because they're trying to take stuff that was recorded in an analog format and intended for release on an analog format and compress the hell out of it to satisfy the pigs at the forefront of this so-called digital revolution. the CD is a pretty disposable format, if you ask me.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 01:30 AM   #34
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Like others, I'm keeping my old copies. I bought the deluxe editions in the LP format. I like having the different issues from a collector's standpoint. But again, my first versions are only CDs, and like Cantankerous says, I consider them more disposable than the LPs. So I wouldn't miss them terribly. These days I use CDs mostly just for the car.
Old 11.16.2007, 10:42 AM   #35
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by rappard
Well, does it? I've always wondered as well, but never came across the Blast First edition. </end trainspotting>

yes, but i'd have to go back and carefully listen to both to tell you what it was, because that was some years ago.
i think it's petty much what scott v said though, the geffen one is louder and seemed to have a few unclarities compared to the blast first one. but in my opinion it wasn't as bad as some people made it out to be on the old board, that the geffen 1995 reissue was really terrible compared to the original thing. on my - admittedly not so professional - sound system i could only hear it clearly in two songs or so, teenage riot and it think maybe the sprawl or 'cross the breeze.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth