Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page classic albums, atsonicpark edition # 38: refused - the shape of punk to come
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.07.2008, 09:17 AM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

REFUSED "SHAPE OF PUNK TO COME"
1998, Burning Heart

Perhaps a more appropriate title would be "the shape of punk that never came". Though it seems lots of people are aware of Refused (mainly "New Noise") and lots of people seem to agree that this album is great, you still don't see it really mentioned in "greatest albums of all time" lists or whatever... it probably has something to do with it being all over the map.. mixing electronic explorations, straight-forward punk, jazz, post-hardcore, experimental rock, and ... other things ... Refused, I think, were onto some really interesting things. The only band and album I can think of doing similiar things was the excellent Ink and Dagger with their album "Fine Art of Original Sin".

Anyway, regardless if this album was an influential as it should be or whatever...... it's still a damn fine album, a perfect listen from beginning to end that I've loved for a good 7 years now. I put it on recently, and it's still a masterpiece to me. Great liner notes as well!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 09:30 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Also, this is ridiculous, funny, right-on, completely wrongheaded, stupid, and amazingly great all at the same time:

"Refused Are Fucking Dead"
(The last official pressrelease)
Just like the political theorists and philosophers (Baudrillard, Foucault, Derrida, Debord and so on) we also managed with a sort of self fulfilling prophecy. A manifestation of an idea to a concrete action. When Quilapayuns in 1972 realized the importance of widening their spectrum of action by dividing the band into five different sections to be able to spread their ideas on as many locations and to as many people as possible they had realized theprinciple of collective massorganization. A division into five new directions means in practice five new projects that can challenge and fight the boredom and death that sneaks into our everyday life. Five new ways to make the political manifesto that once was known under the collective spanner of "the Refused Party Program" concrete, five new forces that can devour and choke every tendency of the bourgeoisie shackle that keeps us down.
So why does Refused have to die to be able to rise from the ashes like the Fenix??? It is impossible to take part of a revolutionary program when every aspect of existence has to be projected as entertainment and music, a tradition that both in expression and creation has been dead for far too long. We were hoping that we could be the final nail in the coffin of the rotten cadaver that was popular music, but unfortunately the reification was too big for us to succeed with our feeble attempts to detour this boring discourse.When every expression, no matter how radical it is, can be transformed into a commodity and be bought or sold like cheap soda, how is it then possible that you are going to be able to take "art" seriously? When every political idea has to become safe and categorized just so that it can be defined by disgusting "journalists" who¥s only aim is the selling of issues and the cashing in of paychecks, how can we then show the seriousness of the situation? When the single purpose of every song written is to accumulate capital for the record companies that will only kill every attempt at spontaneity and creativity, how are we then expected to create? When every show played just becomes another brick in the wall between people, between "fans" and "stars", when we instead of getting communication and interaction are being forced to become nothing but consumers and producers. When people are being praised as geniuses and idols just because they play music or write books or something equally boring and "cultural", when the widespread belief that their creation is more important than that people take part in everyday life...What does that say about the rest of us and what does it say about the system that we have? When we continue to uphold the bourgeoisie myth of self realization by saying that anyone can make it, just as long as they work hard, or pick up a guitar, we uphold the dream of good vs. bad jobs (rockstar = good, factory worker = bad) thus we also uphold the class system and the justification of it. When the self appointed elite talks about culture, the culture that tricks us into believing that there is such a thing as culture, without any thought or consideration of the political or economical system. When we become just another subculture with all the right attributes instead of a real counter-culture, then it is time to die, to revalue the position that we are in.
Refused "broke up" on the 26th of September 1998 in Atlanta, Georgia, and in a last feeble attempt to break the linear timeline that the modern ways of production has forced upon us we played the last show in Harrisonburg, Virginia on the 6th of October 1998. The show was interrupted after 4 songs by the local policeforce who thought that they've had enough. We knew that they were onto us but it was both a chock and a relief that they did not catch us until the last show. Then, after 7 years of trying, we finally managed to create our own timespace within the capitalist powerstructure. The crowd managed to manifest a moment of passionate living when they continued to scream "rather be alive..." to the corrupt and useless preservers of private property.
So what now??? We will continue to, at every attempt, overthrow the class system, burn museums and to strangle the great lie that we call culture. We will continue with new projects and forces to do everything that is in our power to overthrow the capitalist structure that alienates us from every aspect of life and living, smash the reification that forces us to dress in outdated identities and rules: we will continue to demand revolution here and now, and not in some vague future that all reactionary leftist fundamentalists and reformists are talking about. We want every day and every action to be a manifestation of love, joy, confusion and revolt.This is the last that we have to say about it, WE WILL NOT GIVE INTERVIEWS TO STUPID REPORTERS who still haven¥t got anything of what we are all about, we will never play together again and we will never try to glorify or celebrate what was. All that we have to say has been said here or in our music/manifestos/lyrics and if that is not enough you are not likely to get it anyway. WE THEREFORE DEMAND THAT EVERY NEWSPAPER BURN ALL THEIR PHOTOS OF REFUSED so that we will no longer be tortured with memories of a time gone by and the mythmaking that single-minded and incompetent journalism offers us. Instead we need to look forward. We got everything to win and nothing but our boredom to lose. REFUSED ARE DEAD - LONG LIVE REFUSED
Refused’s final communiquè.

Old 08.07.2008, 09:34 AM   #3
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, great album. I also dig Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent's "Rather Be Dead" though I haven't heard the whole album. I should get it. But the funny thing is that I played "New Noise" around my roommate and he's kind of a yuppie business major but he loved it and wants me to burn him a copy. I wonder if their anti-capitalist message would get to him.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 09:37 AM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Haha.

I'm surprised, I hear "New Noise" all the time. It was in Crank, it was on some MTV show, and I'm pretty sure it was or is part of a football broadcast.

So, yeah, it unites a lot of people.. even people who would probably be upset if they knew what the message actually was.

Old 08.07.2008, 09:47 AM   #5
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
I only know This Just Might Be The Truth by this band , and I don't like it.
In the 90's , this sort of music was labeled " new school ( hardcore ) " , and today the term is completely abandoned .
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 09:49 AM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I've never even heard of that song, but I'm taking a guess it doesn't sound anything like this album.

Old 08.07.2008, 09:53 AM   #7
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
It's an album , their first album , and definitely no electronic explorations, jazz, experimental rock in it.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 09:58 AM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Haha well there ya go.

Old 08.07.2008, 09:59 AM   #9
punkaspoo
children of satan

punkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's asses
I've heard so much praise on this one. Only song I've hear is New Noise which is good. Definitely an album I will check out.

punkaspoo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 10:07 AM   #10
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
never liked this

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 10:48 AM   #11
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
they are a good album, groundbreaking for their scene but not for rock in general. mostly, they just wrote amazing, diverse songs without losing their sound, one which salutes many bands past.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 11:05 AM   #12
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
An album that I've been meaning to buy since it came out in 98.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 11:16 AM   #13
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Title track = win
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 11:28 AM   #14
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
could it be the sounds of liberation?
or just the image of detention?
we want the airwaves back
Old 08.07.2008, 11:31 AM   #15
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I took the first bus out of Coca-Cola city cuz it made me feel all nauseuous and shitty. I took the first bus out of shell town cuz they didn't want me hangin around.

Old 08.07.2008, 11:35 AM   #16
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't listened to this album in a while. I really like The (International) Noise Conspiracy's first album as well actually.

Has anyone seen that Refused documentary? I can't remember the name of it, but I thought it was total crud.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 01:30 PM   #17
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
i always thought they were one of those pop-punk bands, ala blin 182 etc. huh.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 01:36 PM   #18
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
You're thinking of The Used.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2008, 06:41 PM   #19
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbrim

Has anyone seen that Refused documentary? I can't remember the name of it, but I thought it was total crud.

it's called refused are fucking dead.
Old 08.07.2008, 06:41 PM   #20
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Pop-punk? Hahaha. What?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth