Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth's Inspiration For Washing Machine ?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.27.2006, 09:58 AM   #21
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
i still have an interview with kim from a magazine somewhere from around the time it was released. she mentions that little trouble girl was written for a movie that's situated in the 50's and that they were specifically asked to deliver something in the style of the shangri-la's.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 10:28 AM   #22
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Evol
On the Junkies Promise bootleg i remember Kim says "This is a song about the future, it's called Washing Machine". Although its only on that bootleg before she sang it. I think Thurston is nostaligic about Memphis because he spent some time growing up in Mackenzie Tennessee which is about an hour outside Memphis. I could be mistaken. That might of had something to do with recording in Memphis?

she regularly introduced the song by saying,
"this is a song about the future," or "this is a song my mother taught me."
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 10:30 AM   #23
mushmanski57@hotmail.com
stalker

mushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's asses
Does anyone have the performance of No Queen Blues on Conan?
mushmanski57@hotmail.com is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 10:39 AM   #24
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
i still have an interview with kim from a magazine somewhere from around the time it was released. she mentions that little trouble girl was written for a movie that's situated in the 50's and that they were specifically asked to deliver something in the style of the shangri-la's.

it's this movie apparently.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116442/soundtrack

i didn't know they performed no queen blues on television? if so, i'd like to see that too.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 10:52 AM   #25
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
While the album does have a 70s suburban feel to it, it's not totally suburban in meaning, as there are a few references to specific streets in NYC in the lyrics.

"I was walking down Lafayette Street..." (street where Kim and T live).
Lipslikewindows is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 11:27 AM   #26
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by max
could you share those, man??? what are they???

If you PM me or something I can send you them.

Teen Age Riot
Starfield Road
Eric's Trip
The Diamond Sea

All live. I have a different live Diamond Sea too somewhere..
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 12:58 PM   #27
Andrés
children of satan

Andrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushmanski57@hotmail.com

I second that request!

Andrés is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2006, 05:59 PM   #28
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
I maybe crazy but i always took Washing Machine to be an iconic symbol/metaphor for the suburbian, family life that Thurston and Kim had obviously just entered into with the birth of Coco. All the other SY albums before it seemed to me to be albums relating to youth, WM was the first album where we see the grown-up (relatively speaking) Sonic Youth. I don't think the album has a concept as such, but i think the songs all relate musically and lyrically to a more mature side of the band. I think the images on the cover-art are the best example of that!

yeah exactly, that's how i feel as well. i can't describe better than you with my poor english. great album. in my top 3. the studio they've recorded this burned to dust.

no queen blues, such a excelence! if this was aired on tv, we have to find it somewhere!
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2009, 07:12 AM   #29
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
listening to my fave record ever right now. I don't do it that often.

on topic: this record is OBVIOUSLY about the change that parenthood brought in Kim and Thurston's life. It is so obvious.
Especially Diamonf Sea, Panty lies, little trouble girl (becoming a parent yourself makes you think about what kind of child you were and what the relationship between you and yr parents was about), washing machine (Here's a quarter go put it in the washing machine).
Again it is very safe to assume that the whole washing machine is to be taken literally AND as a figure of speech also. When you become a parent, yr washing machine is yr best ally and then at the same time your whole life feels as though you're startinga brand new life altogether. It cleans some of the deepest wounds and makes you focus a whole lot more.

I could relate to the music for a good twelve years and then it hit me YET AGAIN BUT EVEN HARDER when i became a father.
I wrote a song called "BOY" that really is very akin to a mix of Diamond Sea and Snare girl which are like part1 and 2 of the same song.

Nobody gets to contradict me on this one as i'm IN THE KNOW.

i'm not even talking about the bluesy feeling og the whole LP that anyone can hear (gtrs) >>>> post-delivery blues or baby blues as they call it.

Aside from that, lots of other themes are developed on this one LP (Skip tracer or Junkie's promise>>>Kurdt / multimillion dolar lawsuit blah)
Old 05.29.2009, 07:15 AM   #30
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I hate to sound like a broken record, but:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to greedrex again.
Old 05.29.2009, 07:32 AM   #31
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses

Old 05.29.2009, 10:45 AM   #32
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I had thought that maybe Washing Machine had to do with the commodification of music into something such as mainstream as a Washing Machine. Or relate somehow to how SY entered into that.

Also WMs are very musical...
Old 05.29.2009, 12:27 PM   #33
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
I think it is the best album ever by any artist!

agreed
(closely followed by evol)

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2009, 12:41 PM   #34
killthecaliforniagirls
little trouble girl

killthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard suckakillthecaliforniagirls cold hard sucka
i´m pretty sure that becuz is influenced by because the night/Patti Smith
killthecaliforniagirls is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2009, 03:02 PM   #35
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushmanski57@hotmail.com

I realize this is almost 3 years old, but they played "Junkie's Promise" on Conan, not "No Queen".
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2009, 03:14 PM   #36
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I think Thurston was doing laundry on day, he slipped in a puddle of Tide, and cracked his head on the washing machine. Then he dreamt an entire album. When he woke up, he wrote it all down backwards, and this album is the result of that.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2009, 05:34 PM   #37
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
I realize this is almost 3 years old, but they played "Junkie's Promise" on Conan, not "No Queen".

damn. does anybody have any videos of them doing no queen blues live, i just wanna hear that intro
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2009, 05:20 AM   #38
sarramkrop

I've always wondered if on Washing Machine the song they are referencing the story about the velvet underground and their ban on blues scales, since the instrumental part owes big time to both the velvets (the guitars which fade in after KG's singing in the first part of the song are very VU) and blues. I do wonder since Thurston Moore likes his rock history parables, so in my mind it makes sense that they would have a go. Probably it's just pure coincidence.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth