Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Fall: another split?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.09.2006, 03:48 AM   #1
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Shock developments within Fallgruppe. The official site says:

LATEST NEWS

Tour update : US tour will continue
Posted in Tour updates on Monday, 8th May 2006 by clayts

There have been a number of rumours circulating on the internet with regards to the future of The Fall’s current US tour. As it stands at the present time, the tour will continue, although there may have to be a couple of enforced itinerary changes due to recent personnel changes.

Members of the group’s Narnack labelmates The Cairo Gang are to complement Mark and Elena for the foreseeable future on The Fall’s US tour as Spencer Birtwistle, Ben Pritchard and Steve Trafford have returned to the UK.

Further details about itinerary changes will be announced as soon as possible. In the short term, those travelling long distances to gigs are recommended to check with the venue before leaving home.

As of now, it's unclear if he people in question have been sacked, left the band or just gone home for a bit. It's all part of the fun though, eh?

Oh well, it has always been thus, and will continue thus.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 03:51 AM   #2
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
shit, i'm not a fan or anything but its shit to hear news like that when you're a fan, and there aint no bigger Fall fan on here than you Hip Priest,
by the way, you're nearly at 1000 posts man!
Old 05.09.2006, 04:00 AM   #3
Thurston Hunger
little trouble girl

Thurston Hunger ain't too shabby
This happens every few years with The Fall — then a new band rises from the ashes and things continue much as before. I don't doubt the same will happen again this time.

The Fall and US tours rarely work out.
Thurston Hunger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 04:08 AM   #4
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey
...by the way, you're nearly at 1000 posts man!

Yeah, I know. I was going to do a poll or something to mark the occaision, but I may as well spend my 1000th post ruminating on the news...

It's a shame from the point of view that this line-up had really gelled well; they've ben writing great songs and performing really well live too. Spencer and Ben in particular are very well regarded by the fans and seemed to have found real niches within the set-up. They seemed to have a good relationshiop with MES too - not always easy.

But Fallgrupppe are not a band in the usual sense, are they? 30 years and about 50 line-up changes due to walk-outs, fights, sackings etc. It's all a part of The Fall (and of The Fall Experience), you can't be a fan witout getting used o it.

For whatever reason (opinions are divided between MES is insecure, is searching for the perfect line-up, is a bit of a c***, is out-of-control, is a temperamental genius, and more) MES fells the need to control the group ion this way and take strong action now and again. It's well-known now, it's a vital part of his and the group's public persona, so anyone joining the band or becoming fan is well aware of the situation.

The Fall are one of the very few truly unique bands that have existed, and it's all apart of what makes them so damned fascinating.

Soon, they'll either be back in the group, or there'll be anew line-up. Either way they'll still be The Fall.

Old 05.09.2006, 04:09 AM   #5
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurston Hunger
...The Fall and US tours rarely work out.

Very good point, sir!

Old 05.09.2006, 04:33 AM   #6
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
heads roll has been one of my favourites, i hope they get it back together
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 04:47 AM   #7
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Thurston Hunger i love yr avatar. he he he.

sorry to hear about this Hip Priest.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 06:04 AM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ah well. Shame to see them go, best of luck to the new lads.

(If someone could save me the effort of copy & pasting this in 6 months or so, that would be excellent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 06:52 AM   #9
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
http://pitchforkmedia.com/news/06-05/08.shtml
according to this MES has been attacking people with corkscrews
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 08:23 AM   #10
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Don't get me wrong, I have adored many of The Fall's albums, but the bottom line is, Smith has been, is now, and always will be a rancid cunt. I don't know how people tolerate him as long as they do.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 09:04 AM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
Don't get me wrong, I have adored many of The Fall's albums, but the bottom line is, Smith has been, is now, and always will be a rancid cunt. I don't know how people tolerate him as long as they do.

It's pretty easy if you don't know him. I don't doubt that I would hate the man if I knew him, but so long as he continues to make better records, consistently and more often than anyone else, then I'll continue supporting the misanthropic bastard.

Actually, a couple I know (a journo and a waster) put him up for a few months and said he was utterly lovely up until the end, and then failed to recognise them when they saw him and said hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 09:20 AM   #12
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not in disagreement with you; I still adore them.

In fact, I adore lots of rancid cunts, too.

(Save your comments.)
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 11:04 AM   #13
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
New line-up makes me think of the French Fall Bible : The Joke, by Luz, the story of the band narrated by a fan highlighting what would freak out most people. A really funny book.

I had to scan it improperly (twas that or tearing the page) : the quote's from Smith himself, from the NME 7/2/98 (obviously referring to the NY fiasco of that 98 tour); says "If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig".

More about the attitude of that very brilliant man (read his lyrics, liked them a lot, and most of the music I heard) from an interview having him involved with both Shane McGowan and Nick Cave :

http://www.shanemacgowan.com/articles/nme89.shtml
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.09.2006, 02:49 PM   #14
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

An update, gosh.

Who’s who - the new personnel
Posted in Website news on Tuesday, 9th May 2006 by clayts

The following musicians will be joining Mark and Elena for The Fall’s current US tour dates :

* Tim Presley - guitar
* Rob Barbato - bass
* Orpheo McCord - drums

Their first appearance will be tonight at the House of Blues, San Diego.

Anyone here going to that gig? Should be interesting...

Old 05.09.2006, 03:03 PM   #15
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated

totally right. im as big a fall fan as hip priest, well maybe not as big but mark must be a nightmare to work for. it doesnt really matter as the fall will carry on, elena im sure is still in the band as he does look after his partners in that way. my biggest regret is that the current fall line up is probably their strongest and best line up ever and i include the 2 drums era of scanlon, riley etc etc.

oh well, next year a new fall album, a new line up, a new tour.... its cyclical!
Old 05.09.2006, 03:04 PM   #16
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
just read ythe update. one thing you have to say, mark is quick off the mark (scuse the pun) to react to shit, i wonder were there punches thrown this time?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth