Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page favorite short stories
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.01.2006, 04:19 PM   #21
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
as much as he's been dismissed as a "dead white male" etc etc---

i think hemingway's short stories are awesome

sure, once you read them all they get a little repetitive (wounded penises everywhere), but some are such masterpieces! among my favorite

-a clean, well lighted place
-the killers
-the snows of kilimanjaro
-cat in the rain
-the nun & the radio... something like that, damn i cnat remember

so many. really great.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2006, 04:51 PM   #22
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Hemingway is pretty much the best short story writer of the 20th Century. His "minimal" approach to story writing has influenced just about every writer that came after him.......I read a ton of short stories in college and his influence can really be seen.
Old 04.01.2006, 05:48 PM   #23
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
Chuck Palahniuk is fucking spectacular. obviously fight club and choke are both incredible novels. for salinger the one where the veteran is on a vacation with his wife and he ends up killing himself after the lady is staring at his feet (or he thinks she is) in the elevator is incredible. i don't remember the name though
Old 04.01.2006, 05:56 PM   #24
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
I plan on checking out Hemingway's Complete Short Stories from my school library. I like the novels of his that I've read.

Can't believe no one mentioned Edgar Allen Poe!
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2006, 07:53 PM   #25
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Young Goodman Brown is my favorite of all time
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2006, 09:30 PM   #26
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
I plan on checking out Hemingway's Complete Short Stories from my school library. I like the novels of his that I've read.

Yeah man do it! They are great to read maybe one or two a night because they are so short.
Old 04.02.2006, 11:59 AM   #27
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
"Emergency" by Denis Johnson, and his whole Jesus' Son collection (all of the stories involve the same character, so it is somewhat cohesive). A big influence on Chuck Palahniuk.
blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 01:52 PM   #28
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka (novella) my favortie short work

The Gold-Bug - Edgar Allan Poe (tale)...of course he has so many other classic tales, but this one, The Murders of Rue Morgue, & The Purloined Letter featuring his C. Auguste Dupin character are my favorites. The Black Cat is a masterpiece & The Imp Of the Perverse is also very noteworthy.

The Cossacks, The Devil, Master & Man, & Alyosha The Pot from my Tolstoy Short Stories book impressed me greatly.

The Double, The Christmas Tree & a Wedding, Notes From Underground (novella), White Nights, The Crocodile are probably my picks by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Lazarus - Leonid Andreyev

Misery, A Dead Body, The Duel - Anton Chekhov

The Queen of Spades - Alexandr Pushkin

The Cloak - Nikolai Gogol

An Anarchist - Joseph Conrad

Yeah, Ernest Hemingway is masterful at crafting short stories:
The Killers, The Big Two-Hearted River, The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber are probably my favorites. I had read too much about A Clean Well-Lighted Place before I read it, I think. I wonder if Hemingway ever read Turgenev's A Sportsman's Sketches. His writing definitely owes something to Anton Chekov & Honore de Balzac.

Magister Ludi or The Glass Bead Game, Siddhartha (novella) - Herman Hesse

From high school & college I especially remember Bret Harte's The Luck of Roaring Camp, Twain's The Celebrated Jumping Frog Of Calaveras County & of course, Shirley Jackson's The Lottery.

William S. Burroughs' autobographical Junky is a short novel, about the same length as a short story.

blots, I liked the movie Jesus' Son; I should probably check out some Denis Johnson. That sounded weird. Penis Johnson? I should probably read some D. Johnson.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2006, 03:12 PM   #29
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose Bierce

Always been a favorite.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth