Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page This 24 hour Flaming Lips song...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.31.2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone listening to this thing? They're streaming this "24 hour" song for the duration of Halloween.

I like the Lips and all, but sometimes I just wonder what they're thinking. I've listened to about twenty minutes of it so far, and it's been the same minute long loop played over and over 20 times with the occasional phaser or flanger or whatever thrown in there to spice it up. All I think this whole time is 'ok bass snare, bass snare, oh here comes the snare roll, ok now we're starting over'.

It's like the Zaireeka thing all over again. The idea sounds so neat, four different albums when played together make a crazy mix album. But then you listen to it and find out it's just one album, and that they just unnecessarily split up the instruments.

But whatever, I still like the band, they just make me scratch my head sometimes.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I think this is probably the stupidest thing I've heard all year regarding music.... even more so with the dumb "buy a real skull that has a tape of the whole song for $5000".

Some might call it creative, I don't really see how making minimal noise for a whole day is creative or enticing. To me it just comes across as a really stupid gimmick they thought of when they have a slowish year.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2011, 07:10 PM   #3
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Anyone listening to this thing? They're streaming this "24 hour" song for the duration of Halloween.

I like the Lips and all, but sometimes I just wonder what they're thinking. I've listened to about twenty minutes of it so far, and it's been the same minute long loop played over and over 20 times with the occasional phaser or flanger or whatever thrown in there to spice it up. All I think this whole time is 'ok bass snare, bass snare, oh here comes the snare roll, ok now we're starting over'.

It's like the Zaireeka thing all over again. The idea sounds so neat, four different albums when played together make a crazy mix album. But then you listen to it and find out it's just one album, and that they just unnecessarily split up the instruments.

But whatever, I still like the band, they just make me scratch my head sometimes.

The songs on Zaireeka are some of the best the Lips have ever done, in my opinion.

I haven't listened to it. I can't imagine how I'd do so. I don't have 24-hours to kill. Maybe I'll put it on at work tomorrow when I'm crunching numbers and see how it is. But Jesus, how much of it do I have to hear before I can say whether I like it or not? I could literally sit there for 8hrs at my desk and listen and not yet have a good impression of what the song's like. I guess I'm intimidated.

I really love the Lips, and I wish they'd knock off the weird shit and make a fucking album already. I'm not going to buy $30 gummy vaginas or human skulls. Fuck that.

I'm sure it's great, though, like everything (even their bad stuff) is deep down. I'm really digging the "Gummy" songs from this year and have put them together on a playlist. Sounds keen.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2011, 07:59 PM   #4
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Never liked this band at all. Something about that Wayne guy is just...
LSD burnout bullshit. He kinda seems like an asshole too. Like he's full of himself.

Actually, he's not at all. I've met him twice. He's extremely jolly and lighthearted and he sees the utter ridiculousness of the whole "rock star" thing and embraces it. Plus, he's a child of arena rock, psychedelia, and hardcore/postpunk, and he manages to characterize all three at once. He's great.

Probably one of the more down to earth bigger time musicians I've met. I've met many.
Old 10.31.2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Never liked this band at all. Something about that Wayne guy is just...
LSD burnout bullshit. He kinda seems like an asshole too. Like he's full of himself.

same here for me. Decent band but I never got what the big deal was about them.
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2011, 09:11 PM   #6
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
same here for me. Decent band but I never got what the big deal was about them.

That's funny.

The thing that first drew me to the Lips was their "LSD" image. I thought it was really interesting and that their album art was so cool and colorful.

I guess it's a love'em or hate'em thing... or a "I get it" or a "I just don't get it" kind of thing. I get it. I dig their whole deal. Image, sound, look. I even like their fans. Lips fans are interesting. They're like Phish fans in a way, but they've got a little bit of punk in them, and many have a sense of humor. I've met a lot of really cool people at Lips shows.

I guess this wouldn't be a bad time to say that I've followed the band on two tours and seen them, like, jesus... I actually don't know how many times. But I can say Lips fan's aren't stingy with their drugs. And it's not all LSD and mushrooms. I've seen some seriously fucked shit at Lips shows.

But they're good to their fans, approachable, and always put their all into the show. They're good natured and non-pretentious, believe it or not.
Old 10.31.2011, 09:25 PM   #7
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I promised to be nice but you people are making it difficult.

it's a 24 hour song....by the flaming lips.

WTF were you thinking even pushing play??? did you hope that there might be a good part around 18:45:35??
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2011, 10:37 PM   #8
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly

WTF were you thinking even pushing play??? did you hope that there night be a good part around 18:45:35??

Kinda my thoughts. Hoping it will be mostly instrumental, so I can listen at work. I'm sure it will be great though,

The Flaming lips are great.
Old 11.01.2011, 08:56 AM   #9
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Link!!!!

I guess it's over now...I dunno..I love The Flaming Lips and I enjoy endless songs..
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2011, 11:25 AM   #10
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Actually, he's not at all. I've met him twice. He's extremely jolly and lighthearted and he sees the utter ridiculousness of the whole "rock star" thing and embraces it. Plus, he's a child of arena rock, psychedelia, and hardcore/postpunk, and he manages to characterize all three at once. He's great.

Probably one of the more down to earth bigger time musicians I've met. I've met many.

Never met him, but I was 1 of 15 in radio station audience where they were supposed to play. The Dj asked ONE question, which dude answered for, like, 20 minutes straight. We were all expecting a tiny show and we ended up with tears of boredom in our eyes. I can't believe the DJ didn't interupt.

Then they played that stupid "Bee Song" or whatever. Buzz buzz buzz.

This, by the way, was right after Robyn Hitchcock tore through about 5 songs, made the audience laugh and was very charming when I met him afterwards (the FLs took off).
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly

WTF were you thinking even pushing play??? did you hope that there might be a good part around 18:45:35??

Haha, that's fair. I think everyone knows what they're getting into when they listen to this one.

I have a friend who listened to much more of it than I did. He claims to have listened to 6+ hours of it. The way he described it was more like it was 24 hour long songs, spliced together to form a 24 hour song. Either way, I listened to about an hour, seemed extremely lazy to me.

There are Steve Reich tracks more varied than what I heard.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2011, 12:38 PM   #12
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Just listened on their website..sounds cool...though, I don't feel like hearing it..there will probably be downloads.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2011, 12:38 PM   #13
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

I tried it... there's no way to bounce back and forth thru the track, so I said fuck this.

It basically sounded like the Flaming Lips. Surprise.

I love them, but I don't really care about this.
Old 11.01.2011, 03:14 PM   #14
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
my wife recently explained to me that there are actually real people on the Internet and that it's not nice of me to make them angry, want to cry or even just feel bad.

have a sun shiney day, folks!

floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2011, 03:33 PM   #15
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses

11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2011, 07:35 PM   #16
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I just pushed play and there are 381 current listeners.

I opened three different screens pressing play on all three with the hopes to create some sort of a sound collage. Pressing play at various times joins you in where the song / loop is......there appears to be no beginning or end......or as the Smashing Pumpkins would say: The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning.

So technically, there is no 18:45:35 to this song. There can be a 18:45:35 to the song if someone listened that long, but someone else pressing play two minutes before your 18:45:35 moment would hear the same thing.

I'm about ten minutes in and I sort of like it!

Good idea.... also, weird results. So they're just looping it and you get what you get?

That makes sense. Otherwise they'd have to run it for at least 48 hours to let anyone who didn't start at 12:01 am on Halloween hear the whole thing.
Old 11.02.2011, 09:45 AM   #17
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

I must have tuned in at a bad moment because I could barely hear anything decipherable.

This is not Zaireeka II. Zaireeka was a collection of really, really good songs, that the Lips decided to slice up and over-complicate and sell for twice (thrice) the price of a normal album.

Individually, and when combined into one "track", it's one of their best albums.
Old 11.02.2011, 11:42 AM   #18
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Id assumed one would get more out of this by not listening to it at all and just reading about it.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2011, 12:32 PM   #19
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Kinda my thoughts. Hoping it will be mostly instrumental, so I can listen at work. I'm sure it will be great though,

The Flaming lips are great.

Hmmmm.... Yeah, still not sold on this at all or the band in general. How about an EP or something of fully realized concepts as opposed to showing you're avant garde with giving away weird music.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2011, 05:06 PM   #20
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
Hmmmm.... Yeah, still not sold on this at all or the band in general. How about an EP or something of fully realized concepts as opposed to showing you're avant garde with giving away weird music.

~Jeremy~

I totally agree.

It's like- OK, we get it. You're WEIRD. You're the WEIRDEST band EVER.

Now knock it the fuck off and make a goddamn album. One with the pretty little acid-pop songs you're famous for.

As "innovative" and "enigmatic" as all this showy bullshit is, it's still showy bullshit, and it represents possibly the worst music the band has ever made. I liked "I Found a Star..", but even that was a stretch.

Just make another fucking sweet Soft Bulletin-like album and come back down to Earth. Please. With all due respect.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth