Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page New Radiohead release "The king of the limbs"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.18.2011, 05:36 AM   #41
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
amnesiac is their best.
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 06:37 AM   #42
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I wish Jonny Greenwood would do more solo stuff or rock the fuck out more.

He's one of my guitar heroes.

btw new single + video (sorry if it's been posted before):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOa1a8hYP8
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 07:51 AM   #43
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
That's the thing, Radiohead clearly has talented, amazing, interesting musicians in their ranks, too bad they often make boring music.

thanks for posting that video, I posted a video response and am expecting a billion views in 5 seconds.

as for the single itself, I think it's about as mediocre as you can get, but for some reason it sounds better than all of IN RAINBOWS combined.

the organ thing that starts at 2:09 is quite awesome. the main beat gets old very quickly though.

All in all, it just sounds so glossy, weird studio production instant-songwriting that IN RAINBOWS had, where it has this real minimal feel to it, like the songs were based on just bass and drums or something and they just piled on different sounds, instead of having prewritten songs that flow from part to part like they did on HAIL TO THE THIEF and stuff. I mean, it's not as bad as ST. ANGER or something, where the songs are obviously just random riffs over Lars drumming to whatever, but ... how did they get from "Paranoid Android" to this? It's SO nauseatingly repetetive... Still the best thing they've done in like 6 years.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 08:58 AM   #44
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
Adolfo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 10:49 AM   #45
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
just downloaded the album. it was a nice surprise this morning seeing that the album had been released. i'm more than halfway into listening and i think it's very different than In Rainbows. it's more like Amnesiac Part 2 so far. I dig it but I kind of wish they played actual rock with real instruments. It's really nice to hear alternative electronic Amnesiac type chill music but so far it seems that's all the album offers. I had a better reaction to In Rainbows. I wonder what this material would sound like live.

Also, it's a shame that they turned Good Morning Mr.Magpie into an electronica type song. I liked the acoustic guitar demo better.
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 10:49 AM   #46
startur
bad moon rising

startur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's asses
it's already out, you can download it...
startur is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 11:13 AM   #47
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolfo
look two posts above you haha.
Old 02.18.2011, 03:03 PM   #48
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
All in all, it just sounds so glossy, weird studio production instant-songwriting that IN RAINBOWS had, where it has this real minimal feel to it, like the songs were based on just bass and drums or something and they just piled on different sounds, instead of having prewritten songs that flow from part to part like they did on HAIL TO THE THIEF and stuff. I mean, it's not as bad as ST. ANGER or something, where the songs are obviously just random riffs over Lars drumming to whatever, but ... how did they get from "Paranoid Android" to this?

perfect synopsis. when I got hail to thief I was initially worried, i hadn't heard any of it yet and all the rock magazine talking heads were complaining that it was flat and not guitar oriented enough. How could they say that? HTT was perhaps the most guitar oriented radiohead album aside from pablo honey (but instead was a good record)..

in_rainbows had some nice guitar work as well, but it definitely sounded gutted production-wise, it didn't have the craft that amensiac/kid a had. I like the progression by the way, bands should change and evolve and not just make two decades of the exact same album, BUT, they should stick with some elemental formulas that work best, and what always impressed me most about radiohead was that they kept a live drummer and some good guitar work, even for songs that were almost entirely electronic, and so they need to keep that. I have not heard this album yet, I am going to download it later today, but I am excited either way..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 03:42 PM   #49
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I wish Jonny Greenwood would do more solo stuff or rock the fuck out more.

He's one of my guitar heroes.

btw new single + video (sorry if it's been posted before):

I think Greenwood does most of the music?

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 04:59 PM   #50
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think Greenwood does the decorations rather than the central chord structures. I'm basing this solely on having listened to his 'classical' stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 05:05 PM   #51
Derek
invito al cielo

Thom Yorke writes most of it.
Old 02.18.2011, 05:17 PM   #52
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Ah, what the hell, might as well download the album now...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 05:18 PM   #53
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
i'm holding off listening to this until tomorrow. there's some rumors circulating around the internet that this isn't the completed version or possibly isn't the album at all.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 05:36 PM   #54
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
i'm holding off listening to this until tomorrow. there's some rumors circulating around the internet that this isn't the completed version or possibly isn't the album at all.

Considering that the circulating copies came straight from Radiohead's website, i'd say those rumors are bollocks.

This was posted by Ed O'Brien on Radiohead's facemook page:

It's Friday... It's almost the weekend...It's a full moon....
You can download 'The King of Limbs' now if you so wish!
Thank you good people for waiting ... Have a great weekend wherever you are....
- Ed

Besides, it doesn't sound likely that they would give you access to a fake or incomplete version of the album, especially if you had to paid for it, does it?
Old 02.18.2011, 05:53 PM   #55
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
but that could be a FAKE ED O'BRIEN....
this album's fake. fuck it
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 05:55 PM   #56
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
but that could be a FAKE ED O'BRIEN....
this album's fake. fuck it

But the audio files didn't come from Radiohead's (potentially fake to you) facebook page. They came from Radiohead's official server.

Whatever.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2011, 06:05 PM   #57
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
idk. maybe i'm getting swept up into the whole "if you think this is over, then you're wrong" hysteria that apparently abruptly ends the last track (i haven't heard it yet.) maybe "incomplete" was poor wording, but i don't think it's totally crazy that there would be a second part to it.

Old 02.18.2011, 06:18 PM   #58
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Quote:
idk. maybe i'm getting swept up into the whole "if you think this is over, then you're wrong" hysteria that apparently abruptly ends the last track (i haven't heard it yet.) maybe "incomplete" was poor wording, but i don't think it's totally crazy that there would be a second part to it.
Sequels have not been available for free in recent times, in terms of entertainment. To me it's obvious that this is the whole thing they're offering for now. If there is a follow-up to this shit already in the works, i could bet you would have to give another 14 bucks or whatever when they make it available, possibly a few years in the future. Is the album really short, or something? I still need to give it a proper listen, i've only heard a few tracks so far even though i have both the mp3s and wav files already on my computer's hard drive.

Now, considering the possibility that this is only a fragment of the album, it would be really lame that they would give you only a teaser for 14 dollars, don't you think?
Old 02.18.2011, 06:34 PM   #59
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

i don't think they'd charge anyone anything extra if any other tracks were to appear tomorrow, but whatever. i'm probably making something out of nothing and this is the album. :7P

Old 02.18.2011, 06:59 PM   #60
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

Quote:
i don't think they'd charge anyone anything extra if any other tracks were to appear tomorrow, but whatever. i'm probably making something out of nothing and this is the album. :7P

Why would extra tracks have to appear tomorrow while a supposed fraction of the album appeared today?

If you were paying for the complete album as they offered it, why would they not give you the whole thing for your money, regardless of what day you are getting hold of your copy?

It's just logical to think this is the whole record, because it was officially announced by them and the tracks come from their server directly, and not from a leaked copy (this kind of speculation is common regarding leaked copies, right?), otherwise it would just be fair if they won't charge you the total price of the album if they were giving you bits and pieces of the damn thing only. What's your reasoning behind this? That they could have saved the best for last, or what?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth