Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Bands that time has forgotten for good reasons
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.15.2008, 01:28 PM   #61
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
The Spin Doctors

I subletted a room from the original guitarist of these guys on Mott St in summer of 1988. He later became a junkie and they kicked him out of the band. He made a million bucks from Little Miss Can't Do wrong or whatever it was and put it all in his veins. Yes, even before his fame he was a dick, and when he got kicked out I laughed. Actually I think parts of Suckdog's Drugs Are Nice lp was recorded there.

Can you guys name any more shitty bands I seem to have had a direct connection to?
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 01:29 PM   #62
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Heh
Must admit, I've got a soft spot for Ultrasound - they were on before someone else I wanted to see at a festival that I wanted a good spot for so was crammed right at the front, and they really knocked me out.

Though in retrospect, the chemical cocktail that was no doubt coursing through me probably had a large role in that...
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 01:30 PM   #63
sarramkrop

Yeah I don mind Ultrasound too much either and there's 3 or 4 songs by Low Fidelity Allstars that are still good.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 01:32 PM   #64
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I only ever had this one (if memory doesn't fail me it came as a double digipack and I am sure that I had the CD2 as well) and never really liked it. They have something to do with The Strokes, no? I much prefer The Strokes.

That's the EP artwork - the album was exactly the same with a blue motif. The EP (which just so happens to be in my hands) contains:

The search for Cherry red
Make It Precious
Give me Daughters
The Beautiican
Winston Plum: Undertaker
and the exciting bonus track, When Prince was a kid.

The recordings are generally of a better (for which read: less polished) quality than those on the album. I'm pretty sure the Kills did a cover of the search for cherry red in a Peel session sometime in the early 90s. Stuart Lupton went on to form someone else, because I've seen his name since JFE split, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 01:33 PM   #65
sarramkrop

I used to like Dream City Film Club too. I haven't heard a note by them in 567889 years.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 01:33 PM   #66
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah I don mind Ultrasound too much either and there's 3 or 4 songs by Low Fidelity Allstars that are still good.

Regular Fries (AKA another of Paul Morley's attempts to be in a band that isn't entirely shit) were shit though.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 07.15.2008, 01:34 PM   #67
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
I used to like Dream City Film Club too. I haven't heard a note by them in 567889 years.

When they were good, they were very good. When they were bad they were well shit.

Quote:
Old 07.15.2008, 01:35 PM   #68
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Regular Fries (AKA another of Paul Morley's attempts to be in a band that isn't entirely shit) were shit though.
Yep. The only good thing about them was that semi-S&M cover for the NME that had the singer/painter bloke on it. What was his name? Peter or something, I think.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 01:38 PM   #69
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Six By Seven. The Kustom Built. 3 Colours Red. Someone must've said Dweeb already, right?
Old 07.15.2008, 01:39 PM   #70
sarramkrop

Dweeb were total mega shit. I don't mind some Six By Seven, though.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 01:39 PM   #71
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

Miss cunting Black America. One of only 2 bands I've ever paid money to see and then walked out after the first song. (Maximo Park are the other)

Six By Seven annoyed me - I was in Nottingham at the time and saw them a load of times in their early days and really wanted them to be good, but aside from maybe one or two songs, it's all turgid shit in retrospect. And Chris Olley is/was apparently a right prick.
I saw them again about 3-4 years back 'cos my mate's band were supporting them and they were beyond fucking awful. They were actually handing out their latest single to anyone that walked in 'cos no fucker had bought it.
Old 07.15.2008, 01:44 PM   #72
sarramkrop

haha.

The fucking Eels and especially that tune ''Novofuckingcaine For The fucking Soul''.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 01:44 PM   #73
Glice
invito al cielo

Funnily enough, I was listening to a live session of Miss Black America that I'd taped off Peel the other day. Still quite like them. They were never as good as Alec Empire's record of the same name, which in itself was never as good as the Empire vs Presley record.

Quote:
Old 07.15.2008, 01:45 PM   #74
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
orchid
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 01:48 PM   #75
sarramkrop

The Trash Can Sinatras.

Trust me, i've tried liking them but no way I could.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 01:48 PM   #76
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

I've heard Miss Black America went through a few line-up changes 'cos no-one could stand the singer. Must admit, he was the main reason I walked.

Oh, now I think about it, I walked out of an Art Brut gig too. And in all 3 cases, it was largely down to wanting to bludgeon the singer with a large blunt-but-spikey instrument within seconds of setting eyes on him.
Old 07.15.2008, 01:50 PM   #77
sarramkrop

Cosmic Rough Riders
Sensational Alex Harvey Band
Runrig
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2008, 01:54 PM   #78
Glice
invito al cielo

Selfish Cunt.

In a just world, there's a whole slew of bands that time hasn't forgotten, in spite of good reason. I was just about to type the Lemonheads and Screaming Trees and Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, but people still listen to them, don't they?

Quote:
Old 07.15.2008, 01:55 PM   #79
Glice
invito al cielo

Speedy! One amazing single and absolutely fuck all else. The same with the Chicks. One amazing EP and fuck all else.

Quote:
Old 07.15.2008, 01:57 PM   #80
sarramkrop

Does anyone remember The Paradise Motel? Far from great band but I recently re-found their album 'Still Life' in a shop and it's got two excellent songs that I had totally forgotten about.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth