Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page anyone going to la villette jazz festival . . .
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.26.2007, 07:24 AM   #41
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Because I'm reasonably close to London, the Eurostar's the most convenient way for me, as well as probably the cheapest.

I'm staying at a hotel quite close to Gare du Nord, as I have to catch an early train back home the next day in order to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday with her. However, while I was looking for a place to stay, I did consider this place, which is across the road from the concert hall and is 35 Euro a night for a single room with shared bathroom and toilet: Hotel de Paris, La Villette

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2007, 07:41 AM   #42
farmhouse
bad moon rising

farmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for the tip . . that is definately reasonable. if i can keep the travel, ticket and accomodation under £100 that's pretty good going i think . . .

the other option is to kick it rough for the night with a coupla bottles of cheap red . . . which i have certainly done before in paris . . . but not on my own.
farmhouse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2007, 01:02 AM   #43
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
ok ive just checked the calendar site but i didnt find out how i could order some tickets
could someone help me out pls?

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2007, 03:23 AM   #44
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
^
There's a link in this post: http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...529#post414529

Old 08.22.2007, 06:02 AM   #45
sonicl
invito al cielo

This time next week I shall be eating lunch at a Parisian pavement cafe, prior to a visit to whatever record shops Bertrand may recommend... Those seven days just can't pass fast enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
I guess I'll be hanging at l'Horloge (Métro Porte de Pantin line 5, direction Bobigny, exit Sente des Dorées, n° 210 avenue Jean Jaurès) before the gig. I'll try to find a seat by the windows, close to the door, and I'll grab the ones I recognize.
Is that still your plan, Bertrand?
Old 08.22.2007, 10:27 AM   #46
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
It is.
I'll be in Paris earlier, probably in some of the following places :

Today Boarding Gate was released. Critics aren't particularly happy with Assayas' latest picture. A magazine whose editors always supported him wrote that the French part of the film (Argento-Madsen) was boring and that Madsen seemed to feel out of place, but that the international part was more than good (adding the rest of the cast being fine, including Alex Descas and Kim Gordon).

In France, pictures are released every wednesday, so the film might be retrieved of some of the following venues :
http://www.allocine.fr/seance/filmcp.html?cprojection=115619&codepostal=75004&j= 0&version=0

The cinema in Les Halles is easy to find once you leave the métro/tube/subway : cross the big square underground place, walk straight ahead, til you reach escalators; you'll find a swimming pool and the cinema on the left.
In les Halles, there's also a big record store, called la FNAC. Go back to the big square, walk straight ahead, push the door that reveals that there's a sky above your head, keep walking, push the door, and it's right there on your right. But there ain't much if you're not happy with the majors.

The cinema at the Bastille is there : http://www24.mappy.com/sid4LCk62LL4dLMn21w/cFGM?recherche=0&posl=poi&show_poi=0&show_iti=0&po ix=0&poiy=0&poi_rr=0.5&poi_rx=0.6&poi_ry=0.5&csl=p oi&fsl=m2&gsl=m2&msl=m2&temp_no_prop=0&comment=&xs l=plan&out=2&lr=0.5&wcm2=&nom2=&tcm2=&a10m2=&xm2=& ym2=&wnm2=4+boulevard+beaumarchais&tnm2=paris&pcm2 =&scm2=&ccm2=250&com2=EU&x=0&y=0
And it ain't so far to a few record stores.
Two are in la rue Keller (take rue de la Roquette to go there, it's gonna be on the right); one is experimental-oriented but I don't go there that much, it's the first on the left; the other, farther up on the right, is dedicated to surf and garage rock, and it's called Born Bad.
If you carry on walking, once you reach the end of the street, you might as well turn right and quickly cross the road to enter the second dead-end street you see. On the left, at the end of that street (it ain't a dead-end one, it turns abruptly), is another shop. It doesn't look like a regular shop (no big window, just a couple records behing bars, and there's no name on the door).
Once there, you'll find noise-related stuff; from Boris to SunnO))) to Les Rallizes Denudes to Sonic Youth offsprings Text of Light and many more bands I've seen being quoted on this board but still don't know much about.
http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/ciweb2g-pagesjaunes/RecherchePlan.do?crypt=xHM+F+L9pRAw6PoYkfhd8GsSOzw hvr8v9XWdYMiP/s+ME7zrEdcbTad7/ioXpr2myp+YO5dNiNMaMutx5cEw2GJIjlquvxVE12py3++WFye RtZXSDJJYGnmS6egb/GpVxUdca/RblPwsFy5aOkSQr1x/w0YzMLwC&fullScreen=true&
Beware ! They can't accept credit cards. Make sure you have cash or go to the closest cash machines (avenue Ledru-Rollin).
This place was mentioned by someone else on the old board. Can't remember who, but that was a good call if you're into adventurous music.

The cinema in the Odéon is close to the last shop, called Gibert Joseph.
There : http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/ciweb2g-pagesjaunes/RecherchePlan.do?crypt=dAVSTxe5rkHst2reoE1CqLPLJ8C +ec2pc0bMxFMxecnU9zJTEQRoIsyRkU++0X/X7yWWimvouMn4WJwJ4pTAeD/cqeAJGt2NJmNCIAexuVh+OX8/s1MHz13or0SsMjZzlcpu9Fca2L7ZiML5Cab5GVFyEhDSyH6AKV EWDDMnNkw%3D&fullScreen=true&
(Use the up arrow to spot the Odéon Metro station by the cinema).
They have many things, but are not as keen on the noise bit as the former shop; still, you'll find Jackie-O and No Neck records more easily there, as there are fewer fans coming to the place.
Note : many records are second-hand, so chances are you can find Fall, Ramones, Sonic Youth records for a bargain.

See you !
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 10:50 AM   #47
racehorse
100%

racehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
If you carry on walking, once you reach the end of the street, you might as well turn right and quickly cross the road to enter the second dead-end street you see. On the left, at the end of that street (it ain't a dead-end one, it turns abruptly), is another shop. It doesn't look like a regular shop (no big window, just a couple records behing bars, and there's no name on the door).
Once there, you'll find noise-related stuff; from Boris to SunnO))) to Les Rallizes Denudes to Sonic Youth offsprings Text of Light and many more bands I've seen being quoted on this board but still don't know much about.
didn't know about this, thanks so much for the info!
Old 08.22.2007, 01:12 PM   #48
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
ill be there hope to meet some of you guys there!

Old 08.22.2007, 01:55 PM   #49
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It is.
I'll be in Paris earlier, probably in some of the following places :

Today Boarding Gate was released. Critics aren't particularly happy with Assayas' latest picture. A magazine whose editors always supported him wrote that the French part of the film (Argento-Madsen) was boring and that Madsen seemed to feel out of place, but that the international part was more than good (adding the rest of the cast being fine, including Alex Descas and Kim Gordon).

In France, pictures are released every wednesday, so the film might be retrieved of some of the following venues :
http://www.allocine.fr/seance/filmcp.html?cprojection=115619&codepostal=75004&j= 0&version=0

The cinema in Les Halles is easy to find once you leave the métro/tube/subway : cross the big square underground place, walk straight ahead, til you reach escalators; you'll find a swimming pool and the cinema on the left.
In les Halles, there's also a big record store, called la FNAC. Go back to the big square, walk straight ahead, push the door that reveals that there's a sky above your head, keep walking, push the door, and it's right there on your right. But there ain't much if you're not happy with the majors.

The cinema at the Bastille is there : http://www24.mappy.com/sid4LCk62LL4dLMn21w/cFGM?recherche=0&posl=poi&show_poi=0&show_iti=0&po ix=0&poiy=0&poi_rr=0.5&poi_rx=0.6&poi_ry=0.5&csl=p oi&fsl=m2&gsl=m2&msl=m2&temp_no_prop=0&comment=&xs l=plan&out=2&lr=0.5&wcm2=&nom2=&tcm2=&a10m2=&xm2=& ym2=&wnm2=4+boulevard+beaumarchais&tnm2=paris&pcm2 =&scm2=&ccm2=250&com2=EU&x=0&y=0
Two are in la rue Keller (take rue de la Roquette to go there, it's gonna be on the right); one is experimental-oriented but I don't go there that much, it's the first on the left; the other, farther up on the right, is dedicated to surf and garage rock, and it's called Born Bad.
http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/ciweb2g-pagesjaunes/RecherchePlan.do?crypt=xHM+F+L9pRAw6PoYkfhd8GsSOzw hvr8v9XWdYMiP/s+ME7zrEdcbTad7/ioXpr2myp+YO5dNiNMaMutx5cEw2GJIjlquvxVE12py3++WFye RtZXSDJJYGnmS6egb/GpVxUdca/RblPwsFy5aOkSQr1x/w0YzMLwC&fullScreen=true&
Beware ! They can't accept credit cards. Make sure you have cash or go to the closest cash machines (avenue Ledru-Rollin).
This place was mentioned by someone else on the old board. Can't remember who, but that was a good call if you're into adventurous music.

The cinema in the Odéon is close to the last shop, called Gibert Joseph.
There : http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/ciweb2g-pagesjaunes/RecherchePlan.do?crypt=dAVSTxe5rkHst2reoE1CqLPLJ8C +ec2pc0bMxFMxecnU9zJTEQRoIsyRkU++0X/X7yWWimvouMn4WJwJ4pTAeD/cqeAJGt2NJmNCIAexuVh+OX8/s1MHz13or0SsMjZzlcpu9Fca2L7ZiML5Cab5GVFyEhDSyH6AKV EWDDMnNkw%3D&fullScreen=true&
(Use the up arrow to spot the Odéon Metro station by the cinema).
They have many things, but are not as keen on the noise bit as the former shop; still, you'll find Jackie-O and No Neck records more easily there, as there are fewer fans coming to the place.
Note : many records are second-hand, so chances are you can find Fall, Ramones, Sonic Youth records for a bargain.

See you !

this is fecking handy info. thanks!

see yas in a week time. we need to set up meeting time and stuff, don't you think? or mobiles :-(? I mean we should have at least one pint before the gig (ok, ok limonade) together - boardies.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2007, 01:57 PM   #50
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
oh yeah, don't forget cameras to make some pictures of a gig, hehe. I still don't have one.
Old 08.23.2007, 03:41 AM   #51
racehorse
100%

racehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
this is fecking handy info. thanks!

see yas in a week time. we need to set up meeting time and stuff, don't you think? or mobiles :-(? I mean we should have at least one pint before the gig (ok, ok limonade) together - boardies.
i think we've got a meeting point.
l'horloge on the avenue Jean Jaures - the address is somewhere on this thread i think.
Old 08.23.2007, 01:10 PM   #52
lalie
bad moon rising

lalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asseslalie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
This time next week I shall be eating lunch at a Parisian pavement cafe, prior to a visit to whatever record shops Bertrand may recommend... Those seven days just can't pass fast enough.

I'd say you'll eat inside a café + you'll better not forget your umbrella cause the weather is terrible here.

lalie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2007, 02:59 PM   #53
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight

L'Horloge is a nice place easy to find (Métro Porte de Pantin, line 5, direction Bobigny, exit Sente des Dorées, n° 210 avenue Jean Jaurès).
I shall be in there at 19:00, I'll have tried to find a place by the windows, close to the door. I might put a folded paper sheet on the table, written Sonic Youth board meeting.
Old 08.23.2007, 04:22 PM   #54
Bal
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalie
I'd say you'll eat inside a café + you'll better not forget your umbrella cause the weather is terrible here.

is the concert outdoors?
i really hope i can make it to the meeting point. last time when sonic youth played in paris and everything was organised to
meet the boardies i was just late

Old 08.24.2007, 12:06 PM   #55
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Poster for the whole festival

Old 08.24.2007, 02:55 PM   #56
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
L'Horloge is a nice place easy to find (Métro Porte de Pantin, line 5, direction Bobigny, exit Sente des Dorées, n° 210 avenue Jean Jaurès).
I shall be in there at 19:00, I'll have tried to find a place by the windows, close to the door. I might put a folded paper sheet on the table, written Sonic Youth board meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
i think we've got a meeting point.
l'horloge on the avenue Jean Jaures - the address is somewhere on this thread i think.

nice one. ok, sounds good. so we can meet up there at this time.
Old 08.24.2007, 06:03 PM   #57
racehorse
100%

well i'm leaving early tomorrow morning, so i guess i'll catch you guys on tuesday at 7 o clock!
woop!
Old 08.25.2007, 04:27 AM   #58
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
well i'm leaving early tomorrow morning, so i guess i'll catch you guys on tuesday at 7 o clock!
woop!

isn't gig on wedn.?
Old 08.26.2007, 03:57 PM   #59
sonicl
invito al cielo

Quote:

See you !
Hey, how handy! I've just been checking the metro map, and everywhere I need to go is on the same line! Arrive at Gare du Nord, check in at hotel near station, jump on Metro line 5 to Bastille, visit Bertrand's recommended record stores, back on line 5 to drop stuff off at hotel, back onto the same line to Porte de Pantin, meet up at bar, go to show, back on line 5 one more time to return to hotel...
Old 08.27.2007, 03:38 AM   #60
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

More about Gibert (record store).
I went there friday to get the new Liars.
Charalambides, Six Organs, Smegma, Sunburned Hand there too.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth