Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page the democratic primaries
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.17.2020, 09:39 AM   #81
MisterTrick
little trouble girl

MisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's asses
I am not sure what it is about Bernie-Supporters and a certain cultish devotion to him, and there really seems to be an extremely concerted effort by a lot of his online surrogates towards thuggish behavior (Chapo Trap House is one group who have been officially courted by Bernie directly and have had some of the most vile attacks towards Warren and Buttigieg)

I am not gonna lie while Warren is my #1, at this point I seriously put Bernie last despite their similar policy stances. I got into a kinda heated discussion with my cousin (who is a Media Writer and a Bernie-supporter) over the tone of his campaign and I have been completely turned off as him as the messenger, his ego of jumping back in this cycle when he could have been more powerful as king maker.

I am not really willing to be apart of a movement that is willing to target and bully people into thinking their way, I have seen this tactic before, I don't accept it even if my politics align with it or not.

On the issue of queerness, Pete doesn't want to be defined by it, he is who he is, it's not unlike Tim Cook being the CEO of Apple, he was sorta out of the closet just not on a wide scale but there was that mess where a CNBC analyst got confused on air whether he was out or not (he wasn't at the time and that was 2 years before he came out), or when I learned from my Uncles Anderson Cooper was Gay (many many years before he was publicly out)

Queerness is not a tidy box where everyone conforms to type, Many are religious like my Uncles (who are Catholic) and Many like Pete are Economic Liberals. We are pretty damn wide, and especially only so many years removed of Obergefell v. Hodges and Don't Ask Don't Tell, acceptance is still very much at an early point in the US

also I will speak to !@#$%! reputation, I have known him a long time through this forum and in person, he gave me a ride from Arthurfest with Jenn and Naomi in 05, he has a distinct perspective on politics formed from life experiences most here couldn't fathom. Plainly he knows his shit
MisterTrick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2020, 11:58 AM   #82
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I’ve been steering pretty clear of this, because I fucking hate primary season, and in this era where the Democrats need — perhaps more than ever — to unite and simply work for the country’s best interest and remove that goddam oaf currently squatting in the Oval Office, I cannot stand hearing these candidates take one another to task and split the goddamn party electorate YET AGAIN as though 2016 taught us nothing.

I’ve seen people accuse Warren of being an imperialist, fake-liberal warmonger. I’ve seen people batter and bash Bernie. Don’t really want to get into Biden or Buttigieg, because frankly I’m of the opinion that a moderate approach is simply not what’s needed BUT... fuck, man. We need a dem in office so badly.

I hate this shit. I absolutely hate it. I cannot do another 2016. I’ll lose my Fucking shit.

So there’s my contribution to this thread, have fun
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2020, 12:16 PM   #83
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/no...-of-two-evils/
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2020, 02:00 PM   #84
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Sometimes I wonder if the people who post these articles on here even read them first
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2020, 02:25 PM   #85
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTrick
I am not sure what it is about Bernie-Supporters and a certain cultish devotion to him, and there really seems to be an extremely concerted effort by a lot of his online surrogates towards thuggish behavior (Chapo Trap House is one group who have been officially courted by Bernie directly and have had some of the most vile attacks towards Warren and Buttigieg)
They have devotion towards him because he's the only candidate who is truly for the working person and doesn't have to answer to the millionaires and billionaires funding everyone else's campaigns. How do you not see that? People are fed up and want a new way of politics and that begins with basic expanded social programs that wouldn't be seen as left-wing in any other developed country. People are fed up of the greed and corruption and they see in Bernie someone who is actually on their side.

"Thuggish behavior" you sound like Bloomberg lol. The Chapo guys and the vast majority of Bernie supporters are harmless but you keep denying poor people healthcare and college cuz some Bernie supporters hurt your fee fees.

Never mind that Bernie's base consists of a lot of immigrants, people of colour and working class women. And never mind that they are routinely criticised by liberals for supporting Bernie yet of course it's all the fault of this malevolent hidden force known as the "Bernie bros", a narrative created by the media because they know if they attack Bernie on policy they'll come out looking worse. What do they do in that case? They attack his supporters, they attack his surrogates, they undermine his wins and his election potential. When his supporters fight back from the huge mountain he has to climb, they're the problem apparently.

His "ego" of jumping back into this cycle? Why in the world would he not run again this cycle? You're delusional. He's winning. So haha.

Warren and Buttigieg deserve to be criticised btw. Just saying "vote blue no matter who" isn't good enough! It's time to rally around someone who can actually create a working class coalition and right a lot of the wrongs that neoliberalism has inflicted on the world as it's tore through communities and created a huge wealth equality gap.
Old 02.17.2020, 02:29 PM   #86
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I’ve been steering pretty clear of this, because I fucking hate primary season, and in this era where the Democrats need — perhaps more than ever — to unite and simply work for the country’s best interest and remove that goddam oaf currently squatting in the Oval Office, I cannot stand hearing these candidates take one another to task and split the goddamn party electorate YET AGAIN as though 2016 taught us nothing.

I’ve seen people accuse Warren of being an imperialist, fake-liberal warmonger. I’ve seen people batter and bash Bernie. Don’t really want to get into Biden or Buttigieg, because frankly I’m of the opinion that a moderate approach is simply not what’s needed BUT... fuck, man. We need a dem in office so badly.

I hate this shit. I absolutely hate it. I cannot do another 2016. I’ll lose my Fucking shit.

So there’s my contribution to this thread, have fun
I hope you know that this attitude is how someone like Bloomberg gets the nomination. He may be a racist sexist billionaire who hates the poor but he's our racist sexist billionaire who hates the poor. If you want a progressive then fight for a progressive! The primary is the time to separate the real from the fake.
Old 02.17.2020, 02:40 PM   #87
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTrick
At the same time you have a number of Bernie-Bros using homophobic language and insinuation on line towards Buttigieg
Cool, any evidence of that? Do you want tons of evidence of people saying disgusting things to Bernie supporters or is it just cuz you don't like Bernie?

Damn, all this talk about uniting the party and you're all slandering the frontrunner and a huge base of democratic voters in the general!

Quote:
(Michael Moore went on MSNBC and did a limp-wrist taught towards him as well)
No he didn't lmao.

Interesting how I always hear bullshit like this from anti-Bernie people and never convincing arguments against his policies and what he wants to do. Actually I never hear discussions on policy from supporters of any of the other candidates. Almost like politics is a game for some people and not life or fucking death. How could you tell someone that they don't deserve healthcare or the ability to go to college? How can you tell someone that we don't need to have drastic action on climate change or a wage that they can actually live on? How can you tell people to vote for a candidate who won't go fully ahead with these basic things because "VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO"? Also, don't be passionate about fighting for these things lest you be known as a "Bernie bro", an easy way to tar a huge diverse coalition with a smarmy elitist name.

It's insane. I hope people look in the mirror and see what kind of world they want when they have to pick between Bernie or Trump.
Old 02.17.2020, 03:09 PM   #88
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
man, you clearly know nothing about the usa healthcare system. the poor have no problem getting healthcare: they get medicaid!

the ones who get reamed in the current system are the middle class, who make too much to get medicaid and in some cases too little to afford the premiums and deductibles and copays, and might not get health insurance at work. also people who make too much for obamacare subsidies and must pay out of pocket,

the REAL problem is rampant cost increase, which is a problem for EVERYONE, and yes, single payer could be very effective at addressing, but it would require a major readjustment of the economy and meet enormous resistance in the legislature and the courts. even AOC made the case that likely it won’t happen—man, she’s so much better than the fanatic berniebros at making sense.

building on obamacare and expanding medicare for those who want it is achievable, but i think the moderates have a better way to appeal to a larger constituency and build consensus to achieve it. we can discuss this instead of science fiction bullcaca about false premises.

also, if you’re for bernie on this one, why aren’t you for warren too?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2020, 03:15 PM   #89
Derek
invito al cielo

"The poor have no problem getting healthcare". Meanwhile on planet earth:

Quote:
About 44 million people in this country have no health insurance, and another 38 million have inadequate health insurance. This means that nearly one-third of Americans face each day without the security of knowing that, if and when they need it, medical care is available to them and their families.
And never mind the families with adequate healthcare who are in eternal debt to the system because they've had a medical emergency. Absolutely barbaric. No other developed country is envious of the American healthcare system, believe me.

And I don't trust Warren to fight for M4A considering she flip flopped on it when she was polling well and has returned to it now that she isn't. Transparent.

Of course me wanting a basic human right for everyone regardless of status is "science fiction bullcaca" when the USA lives in its own permanent fantasy land regarding this issue.
Old 02.17.2020, 03:42 PM   #90
MisterTrick
little trouble girl

MisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's asses
Look in a Mirror huh?

like politics is a game for some people and not life or fucking death?

oh buddy, it's so easy to throw words around like that behind a computer screen isn't it

I'll just say this, My entire life has collapsed because of the last several years, Looking into a mirror with a copy of Silver Sessions with Jason Knuth last month, I'm homeless and dealing with longtime disabilities and a recent major issue of crippling PTSD, and frankly it's even worse than that, but I am hesitant to discuss openly some aspects about what happened last month

It's weird, I haven't listened to a Sonic Youth album in years, the songs pop up in my playlists all the time but haven't sat down and just listened to them in a long time. And it's so weird not seeing most of the old forum, I am friends with most on FB but only very few of them are still here
MisterTrick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2020, 03:48 PM   #91
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
don't post here for the vultures man

bunch of pricks everywhere

discuss your issues in private, with your friends
Old 02.17.2020, 04:05 PM   #92
Derek
invito al cielo

I didn't say any of that to assume your life circumstances. In fact, I can only hope you ignore all the political insider hoohah and see that Bernie's platform is there to help people like you who see the modern world not working for them. His campaign are fighting for you regardless of if you have an iota of interest in voting for him. While we can fight all day about the ramifications of Medicare For All, ultimately he will help get the boot off of the labour force a little and that's worth it all. A break from decades of the rich just doing what they want and shitting on the little guy, at last. Working people and certainly the disabled deserve better. You deserve better.
Old 02.17.2020, 04:11 PM   #93
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
"The poor have no problem getting healthcare". Meanwhile on planet earth:

And never mind the families with adequate healthcare who are in eternal debt to the system because they've had a medical emergency. Absolutely barbaric. No other developed country is envious of the American healthcare system, believe me.

And I don't trust Warren to fight for M4A considering she flip flopped on it when she was polling well and has returned to it now that she isn't. Transparent.

Of course me wanting a basic human right for everyone regardless of status is "science fiction bullcaca" when the USA lives in its own permanent fantasy land regarding this issue.
dear lord, this is donkey level

the quote you provided is about INSURANCE. the insurance problem is a "donut hole" problem. people at the bottom don't need to pay for it, people at the top can afford the best, and the middle sometimes fall through the cracks.

fair enough, not all states have expanded medicaid. so it's a state by state issue. fuckers.

but EVERY DEMOCRAT AGREES WE SHOULD HAVE UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE. the difference is a practical one of *by which means* to get there *in actuality*. as opposed to "in dreams".

you can't simply wish universal health care for all and poof, it happens. it's a massive problem and it needs to be hacked apart in pieces.

but okay, you're a true believer in the messiah, therefore of impenetrable mind, and hence, why am i even trying to hash out a practical problem with the faithful. hallelujah, or something.
Old 02.17.2020, 04:15 PM   #94
Derek
invito al cielo

God, you just don't get it. No one is saying Bernie will click his fingers and M4A will happen. It is an ongoing fight, one that doesn't start and stop with one presidential candidate. You seem hard pressed to deny any aspiration because you're the "realist" and the "rational one" for saying something is impossible and shouldn't be attempted.
Old 02.17.2020, 04:19 PM   #95
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
God, you just don't get it. No one is saying Bernie will click his fingers and M4A will happen. It is an ongoing fight, one that doesn't start and stop with one presidential candidate. You seem hard pressed to deny any aspiration because you're the "realist" and the "rational one" for saying something is impossible and shouldn't be attempted.
but theres a big problem with bernie not offering any specifics nor how to pay for it. "we're gonna take on the corporatiooooooooons..."

sure, kamikaze, please explain how.

warren is offering her 2% compound negative interest to pay for it-- that's something more tangible than "we're gonna fight greeeeeeeeeeed...."

how is the what.
Old 02.17.2020, 04:21 PM   #96
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

also, to remind you, the fucking republicans are in control of the senate, currently sitting on a million pieces of legislation doing nothing about it just becuz.

(okay, not "a million", i think it's something like 300 bills)

the presidency is easy. it's easy to get a manacled president elected. WE NEED TO KEEP THE HOUSE AND FLIP THE SENATE.
Old 02.17.2020, 04:26 PM   #97
Derek
invito al cielo

And there's a big problem with you turning into an economist wonk whenever there is an ideological or class argument. Healthcare is a human right and M4A is completely inclusive. When the US spends trillions on war (which both parties vote for), the question is never "durr how do we pay for it tho". The question is never "how do we pay for it" for many destructive things embedded into the US political system. Yet it's the first question when it comes to healthcare? The thing that determines the general wellbeing of a nation? You'll never convince me otherwise, sorry.
Old 02.17.2020, 04:29 PM   #98
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
And there's a big problem with you turning into an economist wonk whenever there is an ideological or class argument. Healthcare is a human right and M4A is completely inclusive. When the US spends trillions on war (which both parties vote for), the question is never "durr how do we pay for it tho". The question is never "how do we pay for it" for many destructive things embedded into the US political system. Yet it's the first question when it comes to healthcare? A thing that determines the general wellbeing of a nation? You'll never convince me otherwise, sorry.
you're like a political astronomer, looking at us through your telescope trying to figure out what the fuck is happening here and why we can't get our shit together.

there are FIFTY STATES, each with 2 senators. wyoming has the same number of senators as california.

the first thing the 2 wyoming senators are gonna ask, representing, oh, 500,000 folks?, is "how are we gonna pay for it?" and neutralize the 2 california senators representing, hm, 40 million. and fuck us.

ALL POLITICS IS LOCAL. but have fun playing with your toy telescope.
Old 02.17.2020, 04:34 PM   #99
Derek
invito al cielo

Yes, you're right, the US electoral system is completely crooked. Good thing there's a candidate whose whole campaign is about challenging power structures. Also you speak to me in the same way when you talk about the UK so come off it mate lol.
Old 02.17.2020, 04:45 PM   #100
Derek
invito al cielo

MSNBC's top headline after the Nevada caucus: "Bernie falls to first place as Klobuchar heads to a respectable winner's 3rd place"
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth