Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Centipede® (What, you can't even beat this score?™ pt. 2)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.30.2007, 09:27 AM   #21
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know. I'm trying version 9.0 for windows with xp. (seventh one on the list), but I'm busy right now until later in the afternoon.

MacMame is so much easier. There's a user-friendly interface and none of this complicated command line junk.

If you feel like it, try installing a MAME frontend for windows.

http://www.zophar.net/frontends/mame.html
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2007, 09:29 AM   #22
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
ok, I'll give that one a go then.

I remember having to make boot discs just to get stuff to run on the PC. I prided myself on being able to get ANYTHING to work.

this thing is really starting to fuck me off!
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2007, 09:45 AM   #23
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I was late in editing and posting this part:
If you feel like it, try installing a MAME frontend for windows that should simplify operation of the program.

http://www.zophar.net/frontends/mame.html

I'd go for
http://www.mameworld.net/easymame/

Thing is, after this was first developed for Mac, Windows users thought they'd be all superior and make a geek version that you can put different frontends and doodads on to customize it. And it's a whole load of bullshit.
Old 08.30.2007, 09:50 AM   #24
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
ahh yeah. that might help.

I could have it all installed right, and I'm just not running the command line properly.

I'm going to play this damn game I tell ya.
Old 08.30.2007, 11:39 AM   #25
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Okay, I think I may be getting somewhere.

edit: This still didn't work, but it seemed as if it was going to work. Maybe this will help anyway.

---
Create a folder. I named the folder "arcade"

Download the emulator (which you've already done) and extract the zip in the folder.

Place the centiped.zip (unzipped into the rom folder)

Download easymame frontend.
http://www.mameworld.net/easymame/

Put the easymame zip in the "arcade" folder and extract.

Download the binary .exe (second link on this page http://mamedev.org/release.html )

Put the .exe inside the same "arcade" folder and run the program.

Now, you should get a prompt to extract again into the same folder and to initialize roms.

Double-click on the easymame icon in the "arcade" folder to launch the frontend.

---
And, dammit, it's still not working. I even saw roms initializing and everything, but when I return to the frontend, there's still no games listed in the window.

I can't figure this fucking thing out.

This thing isn't worth messing with unless you're on a Mac. Too much bullshit, sorry.

At least now I understand why it's a big steaming pile with Windows. It's because the developers of MAME for Windows are supergeeks that wanted to be able to trick-out and customize their frontend skins, manipulate gameplay of the roms, and so forth.
Old 08.30.2007, 11:57 AM   #26
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

I'm almost glad that it doesn't work for you. seriously, I spent a good hour on it messing around (and I'd like to think that I'm not an idiot), so it's good to hear that it's "not just me".

I'll just try another MAME from the list (along with that frontend) and see what I can do. I'm in the mood for videogame competition.

you should put some thought into playing a gigantic Civ IV game. I mean, c'mon. you KNOW you want to use new-clear weapons on !@#$%! and his what I assume will be French army.
Old 08.30.2007, 05:02 PM   #27
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Okay, this does work for some roms.

instructions:
http://www.godlikedevelopers.com/extramame/

Q. - What is "Extra M.A.M.E."?
A. - "Extra M.A.M.E." is a small MS Windows compatible GUI wrapper for M.A.M.E., the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator authored by Nicola Salmoria and the MAME team. M.A.M.E. let's you play thousands of old-school arcade games on your computer.

Q. - What makes "Extra M.A.M.E." better than other GUI wrappers for M.A.M.E.?
A. - "Extra M.A.M.E." is smaller and easier to use. It doesn't force you to fuss with difficult configurations and it's compatible with all M.A.M.E games.

Q. - How do I use "Extra M.A.M.E."? What additional files do I need?
A. - "Extra M.A.M.E." is easy to use, just follow these steps.
1. Download the latest version of "Extra M.A.M.E." from our official site www.godlikedevelopers.com
2. Download the latest version of the Windows command line version of M.A.M.E. from http://www.mame.net/downmain.html
3. Unpack M.A.M.E. into a folder of your choice. For example: "C:\MAME\"
4. Install "Extra M.A.M.E." into this folder as well.
5. Run "Extra M.A.M.E.". It displays two lists, "supported" and "available". The supported list displays the names of games that are compatible with M.A.M.E. The available list displays the names of games that are actually present on your system. After a fresh install, the available list should be empty. You'll also need to download special M.A.M.E. game files. These files are named "bios" files and "rom" files.

Q. - Where do I find these "bios" files?
A. - On the internet! These files are named
NEOGEO.ZIP, PGM.ZIP, CVS.ZIP, DECOCASS.ZIP and PLAYCH10.ZIP
You can find them using google. For example,
http://www.google.com/search?q=neogeo.zip+decocass.zip+mame+download
or press "Get BIOS" button in "All Another" tab of "Extra M.A.M.E.".
Save these files to the "roms" sub folder of the M.A.M.E. installation directory. For example, "C:\MAME\roms\". Do not unpack these files. Leave them zipped.

Q. - What are these "bios" files?
A. - These "bios" files enable MAME to emulate various kinds of game hardware.

Q. - Where do I find these "ROM"-files? What are they?
A. - On the internet! These "rom" files are the actual game files themselves. For example, say you want to play the game "Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja"
1. Find this game in the "Supported" list of "Extra M.A.M.E.". Internal name for game "Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja" is "baddudes". Name of "rom"-file is "baddudes.zip".
2. Press "Get Game" button. It help you to find "baddudes.zip" file in Internet.
3. Select a site from which to download 'baddudes.zip'. Save the file to the "roms" sub folder of the M.A.M.E. installation directory. For example, "C:\MAME\roms\". Do not unpack the file. Leave it zipped.
4. Use the "Extra M.A.M.E." "Refresh" button. The game should appear on the "available" list. Double click on the name in "Available" list or highlight it and press the play button.

Q. - How to play the games?
A. - Run the game. Press "O" button and next press "K" button on your keybord if game is asked you (OK). Please wait for game loading. You not forget that for play the games in Arcade Machine you need to have coins? Press "5" button for insert coin. Press "5" again and again, not feel greed. Now press "1" button for one player and "2" button for two players. About additional commands and hot keys read in "Manual" section of "Extra M.A.M.E.".

Q. - How to create Screen Shot for game?
A. - Press "F12" button in game. Don`t forget do it in any game. It help you for work with "Extra M.A.M.E.".

Q. - Where can I find additional information about M.A.M.E.?
A. - The best source for information about M.A.M.E. is the official web site for M.A.M.E. http://www.mame.net/mamefaq.html

System requirements:
OS Windows 98SE/Me/NT/2k/2k3/XP
Minimum screen resolution 800x600
Pentium processor and above
16 Mb RAM
5 Mb free disk space

----
It plays the roms that come with it:
1942, Cosmic Avenger, and three others. However, the Centipede (revision 3) rom will not start. For some reason, it only loads to 14%. It is listed as a supported rom, but apparently one also needs BIOS zips to put in the rom folder too.

So, I searched and found this page
http://users.acn.gr/lagakis/bk/files.htm
and download the Atari BIOS, but Centipede still doesn't work.

At any rate, if you're interested in trying this ExtraMame program, it definitely seems to be a lot easier to potentially fully figure out.

---
I just had 198,000 and wanted to take a screenshot before it went to 200,000 and accidentally clicked on the wrong thing and lost the game I was playing.
Old 08.30.2007, 09:18 PM   #28
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

yeah thanks!

that was a lot easier for sure.

I wasn't able to get Centipede to work either (it kept giving the error of missing files like the last one did). so maybe I was doing it right last night and the ROM is just bad.

it was really fun to play 1942 and zaxxon, but unfortunately Sinistar gave me the same error as Centipede. I hungered.
Old 08.31.2007, 03:54 PM   #29
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Here's my copy of Sinistar (Williams, 1982):
http://www.badongo.com/file/4217045

(There's sound...it says, "I hunger" upon start-up.)

I already deleted and uninstalled extramame from my XP, so I can't test it myself, but, as you know, it's a very short download.

The weird thing is the Centipede rom should be good. I shared the very same one that I'm playing with the previous badongo link.

From what I read in the extramame instructions (above), the Windows version needs bios files which are additional zip files that you place in the roms folder. I used extramame to search for the appropriate bios file on the web and downloaded the one for atari, but no dice.

new hi-score

Old 08.31.2007, 04:11 PM   #30
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

yeah, at this point, I'm pretty sure I'd never beat you at the rate you're going.

so if it makes you feel better: I concede.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth