Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.16.2017, 11:16 PM   #49281
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
lol helium— that would be satomi

but yeah great great drummer

i don’t hate them— just seriously stopped liking them at some point. i think it was mainly because the drummer stopped drumming so much.and that may be the democratic thing to do but not so great for the music.

but things are always changing— i’ll have to listen to the newer stuff
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2017, 09:44 AM   #49282
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
This morning it's Endless Boogie - Focus Level, which I miraculously found a perfect condition used copy of at a store that wouldn't normally carry this sort of thing.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2017, 02:50 AM   #49283
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
The Midnight- Nocturnal (EP). Been listening to all of 3 of their releases, and some other synthwave stuff too. I'm loving it!
Old 11.19.2017, 01:27 PM   #49284
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Whatever bits and pieces I can find of the music Stephen Malkmus composed for the Netflix show “Flaked.” Some of it is *really* fucking good. I’d absolutely buy a soundtrack companion album if they released one. A fair amount of the show is just songs by sad-sack indie rock artists like Youth Lagoon and S. Carey, but Malkmus wrote some instrumental incidental music that’s certainly goddam good enough for wide release.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2017, 09:41 PM   #49285
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty bunny
The Midnight- Nocturnal (EP). Been listening to all of 3 of their releases, and some other synthwave stuff too. I'm loving it!
Loving the Synthwave lately. Going to see Carpenter Brut in a few months, and making the trip last year to see Perturbator in Chicago was one of my best show memories of the year. "The Uncanny Valley" still gets quite a bit of turntable time around these parts.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2017, 01:26 AM   #49286
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
thomas ankersmit - live in utrecht
saxophone and modular synth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r19M6MNutOE

- this album i'm not going to attemp to spell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxdMFzae-mE

claire m singer - live at union chapel
radical pipe organ drone, taking advantage of all those knobs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kblgJCbNiKw
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2017, 02:36 PM   #49287
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Beck
Mutations
1998, Beck's follow-up to the insanely successful Odelay was a smart one. At least to this listener. Instead of going down that same everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach he took a sharp turn for a detour. He hooked up with Nigel Godrich and decided to just pull some songs out of his notebooks and bang them out in short time. No crazy samples. No bells and whistles. What this results in - and probably why I've always been so drawn to Mutations - is an album that sounds like the same guy who recorded One Foot In The Grave suddenly had access to a an expensive studio and a producer who had worked with Radiohead. Because that's totally what this album is. While some might write this one off as less adventurous or even boring, I hear it as ballsy. And to my own ears Mutations is the one that's stood the test of time better. Or rather it sounds more timeless. There's the solid folk-rock of "Cold Brains" and "Lazy Flies," the baroque majesty of "We Live Again," and the tropicalia of well, "Tropicalia." There's experimentation in songs like "Sing It Again," "O Maria" and "Bottle Of Blues," it's just that doing something so traditional is the experiment when you're an artist who had spent his career doing much weirder shit. For my money the standout track is "Nobody's Fault But My Own," with its droning drumless atmosphere, it's a gorgeous dirge of a ballad. Mutations is a wonderful stripped down record, and its theme is one that Beck will return to later in his career perhaps when he feels the need to cleanse pallets or just clean out old notebooks.

The Lemonheads
Lovey
1990, The fourth Lemonheads album is a bit like a debut. It's their first on a major label; first without Ben Deily, which left Evan Dando as sole singer-songwriter; and first to pretty much completely ditch any of the punk roots of the earlier incarnation of the band. Lovey is far from perfect but totally sets the stage for the kind of material the band would be best known for on the next few albums. The difference being that Lovey is a pretty unfocused album. It's clearly a band in transition. Opener "Ballarat" is fucking weird, but I love it. I have no idea what any of the lyrics even are as they're so drenched in effects. I think the chorus pleads "give me all of your fear," but I'm not even sure. And then there's cheerleaders. I don't even know. And then "Half The Time" goes in a totally different direction - it's almost like a country ballad. Reminds me a bit of something like Whiskeytown. "Ride With Me" is probably the best known track here - a gentle ballad that seems inspired by a bumper sticker and found itself appearing on band's Best Of in acoustic form later on. "That pencil smell reminds me of school / That clock on the wall, I can no longer fool," it's good stuff. "Stove" is a pop-punk story about the gas-man taking out Evan's electric stove, and is probably the closest thing here to the It's A Shame About Ray/Come On Feel sound. "Left For Dead" is actually just a re-recording of "Clang Bang Clang" from 1988's Creator (for some reason). Then there's "Brass Buttons" - a Graham Parsons cover that sticks out like a sore thumb, but still kind of makes sense? Finally "The Door" closes things out and it's this huge melodramatic power ballad thing that straddles the line between sincerity and absurdity with impressive results. I don't know. Lovey is kind of a mess, but it's an interesting mess indeed.

The Smashing Pumpkins
Machina/The Machines Of God
2000, I think it's fair to say that Machina was a divisive album amongst fans. Some looked at it as a welcome return to a more guitar-oriented sound (plus a reunion with Jimmy on drums) after the mostly electronic Adore, while others lamented that it wasn't guitar-oriented enough and just felt a bit too much like Adore. And both sides were basically right. There's no denying that nostalgia plays a huge role in my affinity for the Pumpkins. And while Machina was never an album that I thought was as strong as the string of records that came before it, I still kind of love it in a weird way. Like other albums released from late 1999 through early 2000, this one has a special place in my heart because it reminds me of being fresh out of high school and in that magical time when you're exploring college and trying to figure out how life works as a so-called adult. At that time something like this - that was equally familiar as well as new was probably exactly what I needed to hear. First single "Everlasting Gaze" was all I needed to hear to be on board with this one. And weirdly, while I've said that I don't think Machina is as good as its predecessors, I've grown increasingly fascinated with this record in the years since its release - partly because of the saga of Machina II, the break-up of the band, and the brief forming of Zwan before SP would kinda sorta reform. I guess in my mind I just see Machina as the beginning of a very interesting era for the band.
Old 11.21.2017, 02:59 PM   #49288
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Beck
For my money the standout track is "Nobody's Fault But My Own," with its droning drumless atmosphere, it's a gorgeous dirge of a ballad.

There are a few Beck songs I like--almost all can be found on One Foot--but this is the only one I consider truly "great."

I mostly dislike Beck. People that cool just annoy me. But I lived with someone who played this album over and over, and I had to eventually admit it wasn't too bad. I might spin it again in the near future. Might. Probably won't. But might.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2017, 03:24 PM   #49289
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
nice! It really is just an insanely amazing song. And I think that this sort of songwriting was there all along buried under tracks like "Steal My Body Home," but I don't know. There's something just really striking about the arrangement and simplicity of this one.
Old 11.21.2017, 08:49 PM   #49290
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I loved Mutations when it first dropped. Seemed like a very Bowie-esque move to follow up Odelay with such a comparatively mellow, weirdo folk-ish album. “Lazy Flies” has a total Donovan feel to it, and it was a nice change of pace.

Lost a Grammy to Tori Amos I think.

Still, Odelay is just the tits. I know it’s the most popular, but that’s for goddamn good reason. Everything sounds a little disappointing by comparison, except for his pre-Odelay stuff, which now sounds like a gradual lead-up to ... Odelay.

Odelay.
Old 11.21.2017, 10:15 PM   #49291
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Yeah we've had this disagreement before. I think Odelay is great... But not as great as basically all the albums before it, or Mutations.
Old 11.22.2017, 12:25 AM   #49292
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Loving the Synthwave lately. Going to see Carpenter Brut in a few months, and making the trip last year to see Perturbator in Chicago was one of my best show memories of the year. "The Uncanny Valley" still gets quite a bit of turntable time around these parts.

Nice! Yeah I really love the sound, and I've just started listening, and realizing there is a whole bunch of stuff out there. I'll have to check out those bands you mentioned
Old 11.24.2017, 02:52 AM   #49293
d.sound
the destroyed room

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
profligate's new album is great. noah anthony used to post here in 2000-2005ish. he was social junk back then. social junk was pretty heavily sonic youth influenced starting out, then they became progressively more noise. they were amazing live. then as night burger he started working in electronics, and now profligate is almost entirely electronic. awesome dude. he's from near my hometown and we saw some shows together, including sy. he's been on a ton of great labels like not not fun, digitalis, and night people.
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2017, 03:47 PM   #49294
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2017, 11:55 PM   #49295
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Caspar Brötzmann Massaker - Schlaf
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2017, 07:21 PM   #49296
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2017, 01:05 PM   #49297
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses

i never get tired of this
Old 12.25.2017, 05:16 PM   #49298
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

i never get tired of this

Goddamn right you won’t and you never EVER should.

Interesting choice for Christmas though.
Old 12.27.2017, 08:16 PM   #49299
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Goddamn right you won’t and you never EVER should.

Interesting choice for Christmas though.
i had to clean out my ears from all the holiday garbage i had to suffer at the supermarket and places like that
Old 12.27.2017, 09:59 PM   #49300
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i had to clean out my ears from all the holiday garbage i had to suffer at the supermarket and places like that

Great fucking choice.
1965236524152455246224632464 2465 246624672468247525152565 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth