Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page top 100 albums of the 00's
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.23.2009, 10:32 AM   #81
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
um..I like the idea of lists as recommendations more than charts.. I always like when someone writes a little description, one or two sentences or reccomend their fav track of their selected albums..It's like more human, and if you don't know any of the bands they mention, you can get a general idea of what it is like.. otherwise you just have a bunch of names and you don't even know where to start from.

about the music snobbery, I always thought there's such a problem about that. I don't know.. I'm glad I can enjoy the Sex Pistols and the Ramones as I enjoy Jandek, Bela Bartók, Penderecki and Sunn o))), there's nothing wrong about listening to loads of music, I don't think it makes you a pretentious asshole..

still I always thought bad critics are lame.. (example:'wtf, arcade fire nº3???) especially if they come from music magazines, because, good reviews can make someone give a second listen to an album, but bad reviews won't add anything, they're just a critic towards the people who like oasis or coldplay or radiohead or wolfmother or the pixies or sonic youth in order to make them think the music they listen to is shit.. a bit senseless.. a bad critic isnt going to make musicians take their albums off sale and work again in order to please everyone..

I know some people who make top 100 charts of the MONTH, is like 100 albums per month....personally I need time to build an obsession with a particular album, last obsession I had was with 'The Idiot' by Iggy Pop, it took me weeks..and it's not even 2009..
I always need time for good new music but i also NEED TIME to listen to my fav old records or even time to DISCOVER great OLD music...and that time just makes it impossible to make a monthly top 100 of new stuff..

Is alright if you can listen to loads of music but I wonder if they ever listen to these albums again of if theyre just stored in their hardrive and are played twice a year... I enjoy being obsessed with an album a lot more than listening to an album, like it a bit and say its worth a #29..

Anyway, if these people do enjoy and get obsessed with every single album of their weekly top 10, I really envy them and wish I could be like them.

I'm workingn my list.. ¬¬
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2009, 03:36 PM   #82
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I'll only include the absolute best in no particular order.

Xiu Xiu - Knife Play
Lil Wayne - Carter II
Panda Bear - Self Release Cassette
Crystal Castles s/t
Animal Collective - Sung Tongs
Yellow Swans - Bring the Neon War Home
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Kk Rampage - Lies, Deception, and Tall Tales
Jay-Z - The Black Album
Old 11.23.2009, 04:50 PM   #83
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Lady Gaga should definitely be in the top albums of the 00's.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2009, 04:55 PM   #84
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Has anyone mentioned Lift To Experience yet? No? Oh well.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2009, 05:08 PM   #85
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Texas-Jerusalem crossroads? I would've said that was 99 or so, if anyone had asked. Great record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2009, 06:12 PM   #86
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
ill solve this: you're all cunts?

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2009, 06:16 PM   #87
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
They already know that knox.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2009, 06:25 PM   #88
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
but i needed that satisfaction.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2009, 02:52 AM   #89
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I liked some albums, didn't like others, but missed out on most of them.

I shall spare you a list that would only indirectly tell you so.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2009, 10:46 AM   #90
Silver_Rocket
little trouble girl

Silver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's asses
so many but for me just looking through my itunes from 2000-2009 the likes of these would be in their

the cold vein - cannibal ox
el-p - ill sleep when your dead
deltron - 3030
gorillaz
interpol - turn off....
madvilliany - madlib
mgmt - Oracular Spectacular
the unseen - quasimoto
radiohead - in rainbows/ kid a
the roots - the game theory / phrenology
the strokes - is this it
panacea - ink is my drink

theres more of course, but thats a taste of some that would no doubt make a top 100 list
Old 11.24.2009, 10:59 AM   #91
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Panacea! God, there's a name I haven't heard in a time.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 11.24.2009, 11:04 AM   #92
Silver_Rocket
little trouble girl

Silver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's assesSilver_Rocket kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Panacea! God, there's a name I haven't heard in a time.
you like them?
Old 11.24.2009, 11:09 AM   #93
Glice
invito al cielo

I did - I remember getting him because some guy in a DnB shop (sadly shut down a long time ago) saying it was a bit like DHR. Which it wasn't really. I never got his album, just got a few 12"s, which I gave away a while ago. Was it a 'he' or 'they'? I always thought it was one guy. Similar-ish time - do you remember Berserker?

Quote:
Old 11.30.2009, 10:28 AM   #94
Silver_Rocket
little trouble girl

they are a hiphop duo, i think your thinking of a rock band with the same name!
Old 01.21.2010, 01:15 AM   #95
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i think they are more than a hundred, but these are some of my favorites of the last ten years; some i consider very influential and important as well.

Primal Scream - XTRMNTR
Boredoms – Vision Creation Newsun
At the Drive-In – Relationship of Command
Isis – Oceanic
Sufjan Stevens – Illinois
Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antenna To Heaven
Charalambides – Joy Shapes
Double Leopards – Halve Maen
Tyondai Braxton – Central Market
Radiohead – Hail To the Thief/Kid A/Amnesiac
The Arcade Fire – Neon Bible
Mono – You Are There
Suishou No Fune – Prayer For Chibi
Converge – Jane Doe
Boris – At Last: Feedbacker
Sunn O))) – 3: Flight of the Behemoth
Prurient – History of AIDS
Xiu Xiu – Knife Play
Xasthur – Subliminal Genocide
Nadja – Radiance of Shadows
Kemialliset Ystävät - Untitled
Rhys Chatham – A Crimson Grail (For 400 Electric Guitars)
Alva Noto – Xerrox
Om – Conference of the Birds
High on Fire – Blessed Black Wings
Pita – Get Out
Fennesz – Black Sea
Smegma – 33 1/3
Shellac – 1000 Hurts
Wilco – Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Melt-Banana – Cell-Scape
Pig Destroyer – Prowler in the Yard
Bardo Pond – Ticket Crystal
Los Llamarada – The Exploding Now!
Hot Cross – Risk Revival
Ghost – Hypnotic Underworld
Acid Mothers Temple – Electric Heavyland
Yellow Swans – Psychic Secession
Current 93 - Black Ships Ate the Sky
Antony and the Johnsons – I Am a Bird Now
Camera Obscura – Let’s Get Out of the Country
The Goslings – Between the Dead
Coil – The Ape of Naples
Orthrelm – OV
McLusky – McLusky Do Dallas
Animal Collective – Strawberry Jam
Queens of the Stone Age – Rated R
Vibracathedral Orchestra – Versatile Arabian Chord Chart
Deerhoof - Reville
Asva – What You Don’t Know is Frontier
Secret Chiefs 3 – Book of Horizons
Kayo Dot – Blue Lambency Downwards
Earth – Hex: Or Printing in the Infernal Method
The Decemberists – Crane Wife
Broadcast – Tender Buttons
Birchville Cat Motel – Beautiful Speck Triumph
Gang Gang Dance – Saint Dympha
Cave In – Perfect Pitch Black
Caribou – The Milk of Human Kindness
Mastodon – Leviathan
We Versus the Shark – Ruin Everything
Four Tet – Everything Ecstatic
Autechre – Untilted
AFX – Analord series
Lightning Bolt – Hypermagic Mountain
Venetian Snares – Rossz Csillag Allat Szulletett
Spoon – Kill the Moonlight
Ariel Pink’s Haunted Grafitti – Worn Copy
Big Business – Head for the Shallow
Cursed – One
The Locust – Plague Soundscapes
TV on the Radio – Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes
The Shins – Oh, Inverted World
Hot Snakes – Suicide Invoice
Comets on Fire – Blue Cathedral
Blonde Redhead – Misery is a Butterfly
Death From Above 1979 – You’re a Woman, I’m a Machine
Your Enemies Friends – You’re Being Videotaped
Modest Mouse – The Moon & Antartica
Sunroof! – Cloudz
Erase Errata – Other Animals
Sonic Youth – Murray Street
Thursday – Full Collapse
No Neck Blues Band - Intonomacy
Jack Rose – Raag Manifestos
James Blackshaw – Litany of Echoes
Sunburned Hand of the Man – Headdress
Low – Things We Lost in the Fire
Alkaline Trio – From Here to Infirmary
Arab on Radar – Yaweh or the Highway
Fugazi – The Argument
Air - Virgin Suicide
Q and Not U – No Kill No Beep Beep
Ruins – Pallaschtom
Electric Wizard – Dopethrone
Joanna Newsom – Ys
Six Organs of Admittance – The Sun Awakens
Pink Reason – Cleaning the Mirror
Nile – In Their Darkened Shrines
Discordance Axis – The Inalienable Dreamless
Deathspell Omega – Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
Ted Leo + the Pharmacists – The Tyranny of Distance
J Dilla – Donuts
Madvillain – Madvillainy
Dillinger Four – Situationist Comedy
Against Me! – Is Reinventing Axl Rose
The Twilight Sad – Forget the Night Ahead
Wiley – Tunnel Vision
Cannibal Ox – The Cold Vein
Sutcliffe Jügend – This is the Truth
Weakling – Dead as Dreams
Dälek – Abandoned Language
cLOUDDEAD – cLOUDEAD
...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead – Source Tags & Codes

i think i forgotten fushi/haino...
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2010, 05:49 PM   #96
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
I wish I wasn't in the final phase of my Journalism degree, otherwise I'd list the fuck outa this shit.

I'm writing for some smaller publications right now, if yall wanna check some shit out, go to Zocalo Tucson Magazine (I'm doin feature events plus film and music reviews for this), Tombstone Epitaph (covering border, nothing published here yet), and Arizona News Service (pretty much when no one else wants to publish me), I also have been doing some stuff for the school paper, but its all boring so fuck it. Enough with the ego post.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2010, 06:10 PM   #97
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
What name do you review under?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2010, 06:18 PM   #98
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Rocket
they are a hiphop duo, i think your thinking of a rock band with the same name!

The Panacea I'm talking about was a DnB producer:
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Panacea

I'm rarely thinking of rock bands.

Quote:
Old 01.22.2010, 12:48 PM   #99
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
What name do you review under?

my real one, Adam Lehrer

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2010, 07:50 AM   #100
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
In no order:
Boredoms - Super AE
Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso Underground Freak Out - S/T
Sonic Youth - Murray Street
Ashtray Navigations - Four More Raga Moods
Nels Cline Singers - The Giant Pin
Radiohead - Kid A
Yo La Tengo - And Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out
Dr Dre - The Chronic 2001
Wooden Wand & The Vanishing Voice - The Flood
MV & EE - Green Blues
Animal Collective - Sung Tongs