Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Music (SY or not) similar to the end of "The Sprawl"?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.29.2009, 04:20 AM   #1
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
This is what got me into the band, for sure. When I heard Daydream Nation, I liked Teenage Riot and I liked Silver Rocket, but the end of The Sprawl, for some reason, had me sold. It's so repetitive and pretty. This is also why I love the end to The Diamond Sea.

What is some other music like this, if there is any? I don't like pure.. drone or something. The closest I've heard, so far, is the beginning of Boris's album Flood. Any other ideas?

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2009, 06:57 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
So, dreamy, delayed, droney guitar stuff... but not drone? There's tons of stuff like that; at the top of my head..

Check out Mark Mcguire's stuff (guitarist of Emeralds). A LOT of his stuff sounds like.. uh.. the beginning of "Flood" by Boris. Haha. Try some out: http://weareupforsale.blogspot.com/2...be-way-we.html

A lot of Charalambides and Suishou No Fune albums (that aren't as noisey) have the kind of "Flood"/The Sprawl atmosphere, though I dunno if that's what you're looking for.

Aidan Baker/Thisquietarmy's collaborations are worth checking out... Also, some of Oren Ambarchi's more recent stuff. Stars of the Lid would probably be up your alley, even if some people describe it as drone; it's a lot more "musical" than most ambient and drone stuff. Actually, on that note, you might enjoy Super Minerals. The album "Clusters" is REALLY great. I'd also check out Fabio Orsi.

Also, worth checking out is some of Jim O'Rourke's stuff.. he has that kind of drifty, repetetive, beautiful vibe of the end of the Sprawl in a lot of his work.

I dunno, I don't want to overwhelm you with reccomendations. And yes I did reccomend a few "droney" artists but I think you'll enjoy them. Check those out and you'll be happy I think.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2009, 09:50 AM   #3
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
the whole song is great. i love steve's drumming and kim's vocals. the ending rocks
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2009, 09:51 AM   #4
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Also, worth checking out is some of Jim O'Rourke's stuff.. he has that kind of drifty, repetetive, beautiful vibe of the end of the Sprawl in a lot of his work.

any particular works? i have Despite The Water Supply and Long Night which are more computerized drone
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2009, 04:07 PM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Get Happy Days or Halfway to a Threeway.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2009, 06:20 PM   #6
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
get stereolab. learn to love the drone. The end of 'Varoom!' is a blissful sonic youth type noise blur in a 'Sprawl' type fashion... but their whole early-discography is ripe with all kinds of that shit.
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth