Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Come on, R.E.M. guys
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.20.2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Staple
empty page

Staple has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
to me, r.e.m. is the absolute best physical musical experience there is.
you don't have to agree but you gotta have an opinion about the band especially since your members on a sonic youth forum.

over 30 years and 14 studio albums have got to have made an impact on your life, somewhere, sometime?

discuss.
Staple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.20.2010, 11:44 PM   #2
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staple
you don't have to agree but you gotta have an opinion about the band especially since your members on a sonic youth forum.

discuss.

I don't really see what one has to do with the other, but REM did have more than a few good songs back in the day. They've become increasingly blander as they get older, though.
Old 09.21.2010, 12:05 AM   #3
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
R.E.M. are OK. Their influence on college radio and what it became through the 80's/90's can't be ignored...that said, sans a few songs + one album (Monster) I've always found them boring.

I'd rather listen to them than Pavement any day of the week...which still isn't saying much of anything.
Old 09.21.2010, 12:15 AM   #4
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
i have expressed what i think of this band in the past on here. i think R.E.M. is an amazing band. i like Murmur, Lifes Rich Pageant, Document, Green, Automatic for the People, Monster, etc. very passionate band. i will admit that i get bored of them at times.. but every band i ever ever taken the time to listen to can be boring at times.. depending when i listen to them i suppose.
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 12:55 AM   #5
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Murmur, Green, Out Of Time, Automatic For The People.. I like all those especially AFTP. I found that one at a yard-sale bought it for like 2 bucks.
I basically got it because I read that it was playing in the room when they found Kurt Cobain's body. Which makes it creepy!
Reminds me of how they found Joey Ramone dead listening to some U2 song. and Bono said it made it a gospel song... I really don't like U2, but I kinda wanna hear that song
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 01:12 AM   #6
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody
Murmur, Green, Out Of Time, Automatic For The People.. I like all those especially AFTP. I found that one at a yard-sale bought it for like 2 bucks.
I basically got it because I read that it was playing in the room when they found Kurt Cobain's body. Which makes it creepy!
Reminds me of how they found Joey Ramone dead listening to some U2 song. and Bono said it made it a gospel song... I really don't like U2, but I kinda wanna hear that song

It was playing on repeat in the bedroom...the song "Man on the Moon", if I'm not mistaken.

He was found in the greenhouse, no music playing.

However, it's clear that this was most likely the last album he listened to. Just like the last beverage he consumed was Barq's root beer (which I believe he carried with him to the greenhouse).

I never found any of this creepy.

Only related story I've ever found creepy was when Cali and some friends were sent to the house to look for Kurt, and after driving away (having not found him), Cali turned around from the back seat of the car and could have swore he saw someone looking out from a window upstairs. He also admitted it could have been his mind playing tricks on him, but either way he was spooked enough to not tell the driver to turn around and go check the house again.

And also...a mysterious plane ticket bought for a still mysterious girl toward the end of his life...she's never been identified, at least not publically.

interesting stuff.

And what about that album Kurt was going to do with Stipe? Might have been interesting.

Or the supposed material he was recording with a drug dealer (not the Earth stuff...)?

Or that Kurt solo stuff he'd been working on that Courtney said she'd never release because, and I semi-quote, "it sounds to much like Radiohead, who the heck would want to listen to that?"
Old 09.21.2010, 01:30 AM   #7
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
most of that is news to me. besides the album he was going to do with stipe. which i agree couldve been interesting.
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 02:03 AM   #8
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
It was playing on repeat in the bedroom...the song "Man on the Moon", if I'm not mistaken.

He was found in the greenhouse, no music playing.

However, it's clear that this was most likely the last album he listened to. Just like the last beverage he consumed was Barq's root beer (which I believe he carried with him to the greenhouse).

I never found any of this creepy.

Only related story I've ever found creepy was when Cali and some friends were sent to the house to look for Kurt, and after driving away (having not found him), Cali turned around from the back seat of the car and could have swore he saw someone looking out from a window upstairs. He also admitted it could have been his mind playing tricks on him, but either way he was spooked enough to not tell the driver to turn around and go check the house again.

And also...a mysterious plane ticket bought for a still mysterious girl toward the end of his life...she's never been identified, at least not publically.
Creepy was probably a poor word choice. I guess I just find it interesting, but in a strange way.
And yeah, I read all that stuff about 5 years ago, so my facts are a little off. But shit man. That IS creepy!
Regardless, Stipe's got a great recognizable voice. and he's totally not afraid to get sensitive, without being a pussy. I love Everybody Hurts, I don't care what anyone says
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 03:16 AM   #9
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody
Creepy was probably a poor word choice. I guess I just find it interesting, but in a strange way.
And yeah, I read all that stuff about 5 years ago, so my facts are a little off. But shit man. That IS creepy!
Regardless, Stipe's got a great recognizable voice. and he's totally not afraid to get sensitive, without being a pussy. I love Everybody Hurts, I don't care what anyone says

That's because it's a great song!

Old 09.21.2010, 03:49 AM   #10
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I like the use of effects on Monter.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 09:06 PM   #11
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
I like REM quite a bit, especially Murmur.

But...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staple
to me, r.e.m. is the absolute best physical musical experience there is.

Really?
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 10:54 PM   #12
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Document, and Monster are both pretty cool.
I like playing Losing My Religion in Donkey Konga.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2010, 04:15 AM   #13
Staple
empty page

Staple has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
I like the use of effects on Monter.
they're awesome, such volum... such distortion...
Staple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2010, 06:54 PM   #14
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Automatic is Monumental, except for 2 tracks.
HiFi is one of the least appreciated albums ever.
Monster....see HiFi above. It defied expectations....this was the biggest problem.
Up and Reveal are also under-appreciated.
Around The Sun could have been good. It isn't.
Accelerate was very good! Damn.
The new one should be out now, but they are fucking waiting. Fuck you REM.

Oh, and most of the 80s stuff is vastly over-rated. Reckoning is absolute crap, for example.
Old 09.26.2010, 08:31 PM   #15
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

I sorta rank them with a band like Pearl Jam. There's enough material to where I can find something enjoyable, but both bands are generic for the most part. Just straight ahead song writing for the sake of straight ahead song writing which seldom leaves me feeling challenged. Most material from album to album just blend together as if they could all mostly fit on the same album.

Again, I dig Monster and some random songs off of other albums.

Only PJ album that kicks my ass is No Code. Very colorful album, just like Monster. Many moods expressed and just enough weirdness peakin' in from time to time to keep my attention.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth