Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page I've Decided The Eternal is in my Sonic Youth Top-5
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.02.2013, 04:46 AM   #41
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
I would rather listen to the eternal a million times before dirty

fix'd
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2013, 08:18 AM   #42
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
RR was def a summer record.

Dirty is fucking awesome. turn that shit up loud and stop your whining.

100% is fucking killer
Theresa's Sound World is fucking beautiful and epic
Drunken Butterfly has some of the fattest riffs in any SY song ever. GREAT song
Wish Fulfilment is one of my top 5 SY songs EVER. Untouchable you fuckers.
Sugar Kane rocks
Orange Rolls, Angels Spit is a fucking killer track too biotches
On The Strip is one of Kim's best songs "close your eyes and pretend..." Fucking AWESOME
Chapel Hill rocks as well
and it rolls right into another amazing Kim song, JC. Beautiful fucking song to turn up loud. sad song.
Purr is a fucking great Thurston rocker. "how to scratch the dog..."

go fuck yourselves, DIRTY haters. :P
Old 10.02.2013, 10:02 AM   #43
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

100% is fucking killer
Sugar Kane rocks
On The Strip is one of Kim's best songs "close your eyes and pretend..." Fucking AWESOME
and it rolls right into another amazing Kim song, JC. Beautiful fucking song to turn up loud. sad song.

I had Dirty in my top-five, I just happen to like it more than goo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2013, 05:21 PM   #44
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Nnnnaahhhhh maaan...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2013, 07:16 PM   #45
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I never got too into Goo. It's half of a really good album and then a lot of songs that just go nowhere. The demos sounded better than the album did, mostly.

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2013, 06:46 AM   #46
djerdap
empty page

djerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

100% is fucking killer
Sugar Kane rocks

I agree 100 per cent with this. The main problem of the record is that it has too many songs (which is a bit ironic since I consider Stalker and Genetic to be worthy of being on it), but otherwise it has some of their strongest songwriting. Theresa's Sound World is one of their best songs. Definitely in my top five.
djerdap is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2013, 07:19 AM   #47
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
I honest to god think that goo is the only bad record sy ever made. to me, the production is monochromatic, and is befitting of the songs in that they're among the most dull the band ever wrote. I can't think of one song that I would ever listen to from that record.

while I still don't love dirty as much as I love most of the other lps (it's confined to my bottom-rung with rather ripped and the eternal, goo is off the fucking charts), what saves it from being a fucking disaster like goo is that the band actually seem as if they're enjoying themselves: it's consciously ridiculous, and strikes upon this tone which is admittedly bettered on experimental jet set... it's similar to rather ripped in that, as rob said, it's a fucking summer album, a party record, just unpretentious, straight-forward but nonetheless weird pop. there's a sense of humour to both records, of which goo is just wholly bereft. sure, dirty is overlong, and some of the songs don't stand up as well as others, but come on...100%, swimsuit issue, sugar kane, shoot, creme brulee, those are just undeniable songs.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2013, 07:32 AM   #48
djerdap
empty page

djerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's assesdjerdap kicks all y'all's asses
Except I consider Shoot, Creme Brulee and Swimsuit Issue to be easily the weakest songs on that record. Kim had this annoying twang on that whole record that didn't help matters. On the other hand, JC and On the Strip are some of her best work.
djerdap is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2013, 08:12 AM   #49
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Re: Goo

Disappearer is fucking amazing, and I spin that 12 single all the time cuz that song is fucking nighttime to me.

Mote - Before I heard Genetic, this was my favorite LEE song. I FUCKING LOVE IT SO, and the video is fucking amazing and scary and weird and I love the 3 minute long noise coda

Mildred Pierce is a blast of raging awesome fun.

I know people hate on Goo and Kool Thing and Dirty Boots but I love those songs.

Tunic used to scare me in it's harsh lyrical way.

My fave is always DDN but Goo has kept me company lo these many years
Old 10.03.2013, 08:31 AM   #50
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth - 7/10
Confusion is Sex - 7/10
Bad Moon Rising - 8/10
EVOL - 8/10
Sister - 9/10
Daydream Nation - 10/10
Goo - 9/10
Dirty - 8/10
Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star - 8/10
Washing Machine - 10/10
A Thousand Leaves - 8/10
NYC Ghosts & Flowers - 9/10
Murray Street - 9/10
Sonic Nurse - 8/10
Rather Ripped - 5/10
The Eternal - 7/10
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2013, 05:02 PM   #51
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
I never got too into Goo. It's half of a really good album and then a lot of songs that just go nowhere. The demos sounded better than the album did, mostly.

That's how I feel about it as well. Second half of the album is rarely played. The video to Titanium Expose is way more interesting and enjoyable than the song itself
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2013, 03:13 AM   #52
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap
I agree 100 per cent with this. The main problem of the record is that it has too many songs (which is a bit ironic since I consider Stalker and Genetic to be worthy of being on it), but otherwise it has some of their strongest songwriting. Theresa's Sound World is one of their best songs. Definitely in my top five.
Totally disagree, I wouldnīt leave any song out of dirty (I think Stalker already is in it because I have the vinyl) but I would have added Genetic & Destroyed Room to it, because theyīre so great and they would have fitted so well into the album. I donīt have any problems to listen long albums (Itīs not long time when I listened Yessongs & I enjoyed every minute), the problem is that many bands these days donīt have enough good material to fit the whole 80 minutes of cd:s. Everything in Dirty is not great, but I think every song really belong into it, there arenīt any abortive songs. I think Iīm going to buy soon 100% single even itīs not in orange vinyl...

I agree Rob mostly about Goo & Dirty. My favourites those albums are: Dirty Boots, Tunic, Mote, Disappearer (yeah, itīs absolutely fabulous), Mildred Pierce, Cinderella, Scooter & Titanium, Swimsuit, Theresa, Shoot, Wish, Sugar, Stalker, On a strip (like Disappearer itīs on my ten best SY songs list), Chapel Hill, JC, Purr & Creme.

Itīs really hard to understand why somebody hates Dirty boots. As a matter of fact I donīt hate any sonic songs, all of them are just not my favourites.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2013, 01:39 PM   #53
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
I've just given it a re-listen. It's just...It's just fucking shit. Antenna and Sacred Trickster are great, but everything else ranks as some of their worst stuff. Leaky Lifeboat? Leaky Shitboat.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2013, 01:43 PM   #54
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Only one I really do not like on RR is Sleeping Around. I wonder what the neighbors said Thurston??????
Old 10.09.2013, 01:43 PM   #55
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I've just given it a re-listen. It's just...It's just fucking shit. Antenna and Sacred Trickster are great, but everything else ranks as some of their worst stuff. Leaky Lifeboat? Leaky Shitboat.

I dig What We Know
Old 10.09.2013, 01:58 PM   #56
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Poison Arrow, Anti-Orgasm, Calming the Snake... How can y'all hate on Malibu Gas Station with that beautiful intro? There is no way y'all can't be digging No Way?

Yeah, its not the more groundbreaking SY material, but it genuinely feels like a syncretic blend of ALL the sounds that are sonic youth. It has elements of the chaotic Sonic Death era, it has the lyrical styles of the Sister/EVOL era, it has the harmonic guitar work that typified Daydream Nation, it has the grooving danceable bass lines of Goo/Dirty, it has the "ballads" and snark of Washing Machine, it went for the almost noir bridgework of A Thousand Leaves, had the creative jamming explorations that were Sonic Nurse, and finally had the more pop rocking sounds of Rather Ripped spread through out. THAT is why I ended up putting it in my top-5, because in a way, it sounds like ALL Sonic Youth records merged into one, and for that alone I was impressed..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2013, 03:17 AM   #57
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Yeah, its not the more groundbreaking SY material, but it genuinely feels like a syncretic blend of ALL the sounds that are sonic youth. It has elements of the chaotic Sonic Death era, it has the lyrical styles of the Sister/EVOL era, it has the harmonic guitar work that typified Daydream Nation, it has the grooving danceable bass lines of Goo/Dirty, it has the "ballads" and snark of Washing Machine, it went for the almost noir bridgework of A Thousand Leaves, had the creative jamming explorations that were Sonic Nurse, and finally had the more pop rocking sounds of Rather Ripped spread through out. THAT is why I ended up putting it in my top-5, because in a way, it sounds like ALL Sonic Youth records merged into one, and for that alone I was impressed..
I agree fully! After few first listening of Eternal I thought it was their Sgt.Pepper. Iīm not thinking that way anymore, but anyway I think itīs as great as DDN, Goo, Dirty, Murray, Nurse & RR.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2013, 08:00 PM   #58
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
yeah suchfriends, I agree. I definitely wouldn't put it in my top 5, but I can respect it immensely for the reasons that you state. among the more undeniably satisfying albums in their catalogue, with solid pop songs and one track (massage the history) that truly broke new ground for the band.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2013, 12:28 PM   #59
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
DIRTY was my favorite Sonic Youth album after Sister for about a year. I overplayed it during a very hot, lonely, emotionally heavy summer. Seriously, it was the only tape I had, and I was driving an old Camry with no CD player.

After a broken heart and a lot of weird mornings waking up in odd situations with LSD residue fogging my vision, I think the album started to take on an cerebral, nostalgic feel for me, and it was hard to listen to it for a long time.

JC is the saddest song SY ever recorded. It has no equal in that regard. I can't even think of another song that has a similar feel.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2013, 12:34 PM   #60
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Massage the History is kind of a structural sequel to Sweet Shine and I love You Golden Blue in my opinion. I don't know that it broke new ground, but it certainly is one of the absolute stand out tracks of their entire discography. It's like the Kim finally perfected her melancholy closing song formula, and MTH is the end result.

I still think I like Heather, Angel better, but they're night and day, so I should shut the fuck up about it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth