Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Unfashionable Disasters
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.12.2008, 10:40 AM   #41
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
you said you were leaving.

you didn't.

now, stop posting and make me a turkey pot pie (I sent my last one to Myanma Naingngandaw).

i would leave but there are some people outside that may be a lower class than me and therefore mug me so i better stay until they are gone.

send me that recipe again please.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 10:49 AM   #42
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
right. I get that.

yes, it's said. but really, how much emotional investment is required before I stop caring?

here's a timeline (just for jon boy):
  1. oh, my gawd. that's fucking terrible. those poor people.
  2. I sure hope they get help fast.
  3. [lost time]
  4. holy fuck! look at all that food! they*** don't want it?? what the fuck?
  5. it's STILL sitting there??? don't we have some homeless to feed?
  6. STILL? get the fuck out.
  7. still. oh, well. what can you do.
  8. MAKE POSTS.
*** the next time someone wants to blame amerikkkans for THE WORLD IN FLAMES, I'm going to insist that they specifiy our military junta.

Actually, your democratically elected military junta refused hundreds of millions $$$ worth of foreign aid after hurricane Katrina hit in 2005... Maybe they didn't want it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042801113.html
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 11:30 AM   #43
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
your democratically elected military junta

was it democratically elected or stolen?! please, people. make up yr minds!

either way, as soon as they are done cleaning up the mess in Myanmar, I'll see if I can get The A-Team to work on this next.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 12:16 PM   #44
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
Really all can say is "you apathetic cunt" at the moment the toll is nearing 200,000 people, which is as many that died during the 06 boxing day tsunami in Myanmar. In less than two years this country has been absolutely devestated by natural disasters and prior to that decades under dictatorial rule.

I concur with the above, emotiono-logically; in reality, I sympathise with Mr Rail.

There's an interesting, and rather hopeless point I have about these sorts of things: where McLuhan talks about information becoming noise (that is, an excess of it becomes incomprehendible) we're left floating in an emotional hinterland in the context of 'information about the world being a bit fucked'. Unfortunately, in the face of a litany of disasters which are recurring and renewing themselves (all of which tarred with some political dimension), 'I don't care' seems a more viable option than trying to care about everything.

While I think everyone would like to be involved in charitable/ pseudo-charitable political causes, it's very difficult to make your mind up which one. If I shut out cruelty to dogs from my 'mental list of things to care about', then I free up some emotional space for Sierra Leone; this is at the expense of melting ice caps or poverty in West Pakistan. The point is, because of all this charitable 'noise', it's nearly impossible to make a clear, rational decision of the 'the thing that is most important to me and the future of the world is dolphins' sort. Sadly, it's entirely reasonable to be entirely apathetic about a great many of the world's problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 12:32 PM   #45
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
this is the worst thread to wake up to
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 01:05 PM   #46
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
yes.

can you imagine the rage in people's hearts right now? Their country is torn apart after it is trying to regain a foothold after that fucked up tsunami, then to experience such a typhoon, then to have your crooked ass corrutp government impound the first aid packages that are sent there, then to have that same corrupt ass government essentially force the UN and RED CROSS to halt aid, becaus eof their corruption, and then to hear that nearly a week after, the government says it is OK to bring in aid groups and shit.

thousands lie rotting, hundreds clog the rivers, dead and bloating. families, children, people lost, looking for anything, any aid whatsoever.

has preznit DUBYA said anything? has he gone on TV to enlist the people's help in this? has he done anything at all except plan for his FUGLY daughter she-bitch's wedding? fucking asshole unfeeling greedhead monsters.
Old 05.12.2008, 01:37 PM   #47
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
when i saw the title, i thought this thread was about horrible clothes.

anyway-- myanmar! another example of authoritarian governments doing what they do best!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 06:23 PM   #48
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
was it democratically elected or stolen?! please, people. make up yr minds!

More democratically than Myanmar for sure. But that's not important; there will be a gazillion threads about that by the time November comes closer... sigh.

I just posted that as a concrete example to illustrate sarramkrop and jon boy's point that the actual victims of natural disasters aren't the same people who decide on refusing help. I'm sure the people of New Orleans would've appreciated that aid; there are still thousands of them without a roof three years later. But I also posted it to show that it's not just totalitarian governments that aren't in a hurry (for whatever reason) to accept help when disasters hit. It annoyed me when I read that about the unclaimed aid after Katrina, but I never thought "fuck 'em". I didn't think that now about Myanmar either. Maybe I'm just a wuss.

In other unfashionable news, some ten thousand yellow people died today somewhere in some other Asian country. Numbers are expected to rise.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7396400.stm
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 08:48 PM   #49
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
2012 can't come soon enough...
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2008, 09:05 PM   #50
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
What does all this have to do with Fashion? Unless it means the cost of my skinny jeans are gonna go up because the sweat shops that make them got wiped out in a tsunami. Then I'm going to be upset.

Anyway, thanks for the really dull thread! I too expected some fashion/style excitement. People, please give more careful thought to your thread titles. Please!
Old 05.13.2008, 07:06 AM   #51
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
What does all this have to do with Fashion? Anyway, thanks for the really dull thread! I too expected some fashion/style excitement. People, please give more careful thought to your thread titles. Please!

Sorry you think the thread is dull but there is a kind of logic to its title in that some events are evidently more 'fashionable' than others. As Glice says, and I agree, we live in a world where information is at an optimum, but real knowledge regarding the details of these events (and/or emotional responses to them) cannot possibly keep up. So people cherry-pick depending on what causes are 'in' that season.

Either way, just for those like GMKU that thought the thread was gonna be about clothes, here's a rather sexy picture of the editor of American Vogue, Anna - 'nuclear' - Wintour:

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 07:17 AM   #52
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
It's fashionable to keep informed of major world events. Don't be so antsy, gmku.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 07:30 AM   #53
sarramkrop

Since this thread is about disasters and there is a lot of generally irrelevant nonsense on it, check out ex-Breeders Josephine Wiggs' old band The Perfect Disaster. They're cool.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 07:31 AM   #54
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
STOP PRESS: Important news just in, Interpol are currently investigating claims that missing uber-cute toddler Madelaine -'Maddie' - MacCann has been seen on an airplane bound for Brazil!

And here's a picture of a melting iceberg, just because:

Old 05.13.2008, 07:34 AM   #55
sarramkrop

The proverbial Warhol paintings, a must for every thread about disasters that craves respect from its peers:

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 07:42 AM   #56
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Oh to be as confident in my understanding of the world's problems as these two super-beautiful people.
Old 05.13.2008, 07:50 AM   #57
sarramkrop

Here demonrail does the crowd-pleaser.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 07:59 AM   #58
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Now legendary response to Bob - father of Peaches - Geldof's "A child dies of starvation, everytime I click my fingers", campaign.

Person watching campaign ad in a cinema: "Well stop doing it then."
Old 05.13.2008, 08:02 AM   #59
sarramkrop

Karl is orange (at least on this picture) and proud. Here he holds Lily Cole's hand to show the world that races can hold hands too.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/56657...4FC6B9CADF7309http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/56657...4FC6B9CADF7309
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/56657...4FC6B9CADF7309

Warhol style.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2008, 08:17 AM   #60
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I sort of love Karl Lagerfeld, he's like the Klaus Kinski of fashion. And the fact that, like Jean Paul Gaultier, he appears to have stopped buying calenders after 1983, is really quite endearing.

And why bother with sending condoms to darkest Africa when you have fashion against AIDS?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth