Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Fly yr freak flag...?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.30.2010, 12:13 PM   #1
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
We sponsored a German exchange student during the '90's. He was really impressed that wherever he went he saw the American flag displayed in some way or another (little flags, big flags, bumpersticker flags, etc.). And that we were proud to display our flag. He said in Germany, some ppl are not comfortable displaying the German flag because of the shame of the Holocaust.
Any thoughts on this?
How do you feel about your country's flag?

As idiotic as America is, I love it for fucking better or worse. But I would not be caught dead in patriotic jewelry or clothing. But I do have a pair of American flag Converse hi-tops.
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 12:39 PM   #2
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen videos of Oasis waving the english flag at concerts, and Robbie Williams wearing an english flag t-shirt (or reverse).
Totally inimaginable in France: the french flag is mainly on top of administrations buildings (out of reach) ; it's an unpopular symbol, in the least.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 01:03 PM   #3
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
With as much shit as I could say about this place, I've made no plans on leaving it as of yet. Thus said, I adore the US of A.

And as for the flag, I don't own one. Seeing them doesn't bother me in the least, though.
Old 07.30.2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I couldn't care less for patriotism. Who gives a fuck what set of borders you happen to reside in, really?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I couldn't care less for patriotism. Who gives a fuck what set of borders you happen to reside in, really?

I think it's pretty easy to not care about patriotism when you're from a nation that was thwarted by a wall that's roughly the size of a 4-year-old girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 01:18 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsygrrl
We sponsored a German exchange student during the '90's. He was really impressed that wherever he went he saw the American flag displayed in some way or another (little flags, big flags, bumpersticker flags, etc.). And that we were proud to display our flag. He said in Germany, some ppl are not comfortable displaying the German flag because of the shame of the Holocaust.
Any thoughts on this?
How do you feel about your country's flag?

As idiotic as America is, I love it for fucking better or worse. But I would not be caught dead in patriotic jewelry or clothing. But I do have a pair of American flag Converse hi-tops.

yes, in Germany i understand they don't wave the flag (wave that flag, wave it wide and high, summer times come come and gone my oh my!) and even during the World Cup when folks would wave the flag, other germans would accuse them of being NAZIS!
I love it, personally, I can't stand seeing the stars and stripes everywhere, it is blatant fascism and Germans are smart to avoid such mindless patriotism.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek

It's a pity for you that you're in the minority with that thought in Scotland.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 06:03 PM   #8
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
It's a pity for you that you're in the minority with that thought in Scotland.

wanna know a secret?
Old 07.30.2010, 07:34 PM   #9
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
I have no inclination to display a U.S. flag, but don't mind seeing them elsewhere and anywhere..... it sometimes reminds me of what country I'm in and that's a good thing.

I worked for an advertising and promo co. the time of 9/11 attacks. After, remember when everyone went on a mindless flag buying spree.... our co. had the best access to all flags and accessories. The owner was a deranged fuck-tard who had a defect where he stuttered but he had to complete all of his sentences by grumbling and saying "and that type of situation to-do-so" (literally). He went koo koo over flags and our place was on live news coverage by 2 networks for 2 days straight. He had people guarding his warehouse w/ flags 24/7. He later was on the news again when sued for gouging prices (ha). I used to swear he was the only one who prayed around his dinner table for another terrorist attack, seriously. He bought a brand new Dodge Ram a couple weeks after his flag cash-in..... so, I guess the lesson is, Flags can be GREAT!

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 08:04 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshChops
it sometimes reminds me of what country I'm in and that's a good thing.

but honestly, that is entirely the problem sometimes..

Old 07.30.2010, 10:03 PM   #11
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I think it's pretty easy to not care about patriotism when you're from a nation that was thwarted by a wall that's roughly the size of a 4-year-old girl.

I cried tears, snorted and still failed to be able to rep you.

where's yr fucking braveheart now, pony fuckers?
space is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 10:20 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

that is such a silly thing to say, don't you realize that in the end, the Scotts not only won that war, but inevitably took over the entire fucking world!

Old 07.30.2010, 10:27 PM   #13
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

I see a whole lot of those where I live... a WHOLE LOT!

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2010, 01:26 AM   #14
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I don't mind someone being comfortable about where they are from. Patriotic people are mentally ill though. And someone who goes on about where they are (or think they are) from every 5 minutes is plain tedious.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2010, 01:32 AM   #15
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
People from mixed parentage are generally the worst at being tediously patriotic.
Old 07.31.2010, 02:26 AM   #16
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

I've never met anyone that I didn't think was mentally ill in one way or another.
Old 07.31.2010, 02:32 AM   #17
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Swa, either way, patriotic people have too many limitations in their thinking.
Old 07.31.2010, 03:04 AM   #18
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

I agree. Many of them are super religious, too, which tends to make carrying on any serious in depth convo. with them a bit difficult. Like, their governments and their gods have all the answers they need (least, this is the way it feels when talking to them sometimes)....

But, they all seem to be much more content than I'll ever be.

I see these people everyday. I live in the bible belt...suppose I'm just used to it.
Old 07.31.2010, 03:27 AM   #19
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Cool. Chillax bible belt.
Old 07.31.2010, 05:06 AM   #20
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
that is such a silly thing to say, don't you realize that in the end, the Scotts not only won that war, but inevitably took over the entire fucking world!

Honestly, some of the things you come out with beggars belief.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth