Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page In Utero Appreciation thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.17.2013, 03:28 PM   #161
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses

Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2013, 11:07 PM   #162
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
damn you courtney you are still so damned greedy its always a fucking Nirvana sabotage. Why not release Live and Loud separately as a stand alone Live DVD?? Why make us buy something we already have. I'm not even remotely interested in buying a reissue of material I've had since I was in elementary school, I'm happy the kids in elementary-high school today get to relive our 1990s joy of more obscure Nirvana, but I also want to buy that DVD, and now I won't.. Sighs. Its been twenty fucking years of this shit, Nirvana won't finally be itself until she is dead, and then Francis can rekindle a revival like Hendrix's sister has been doing lately. What she has been doing over the past 15 years with the Hendrix Estate is remarkable, what Courtney has been doing with Nirvana is embarrassing..
About that Hendrix sister...I think she´s insane. She has seen Jimi maybe two times in her life as a kid and she keeps telling "how close they were". She build a "mausoleum" to Jimi and I bet Jimi would have hated it. And in the nineties she thought she knew what Jimi was going to release when releasing "First Rays Of the new rising sun". Also I agree that BBC-Sessions & People Hell & Angels are great releases (Valleys is quite ok too, there are few great never before heard tunes also in South Saturn Delta, but mostly it´s also before heard) but the main point of that Hendrix "sister" is to make money from Jimi.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2013, 01:42 AM   #163
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
grohl sounds so fucking powerful and heavy on this record
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2013, 05:31 AM   #164
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
^i agree, this is still mah favorite.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2013, 08:43 AM   #165
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
DVD Extras:

[...]

25. "Drain You" (Live on "Nulle Part Ailleurs" – Paris, France)

That version is fantastic.
Old 09.19.2013, 01:02 PM   #166
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
dave is still one of my favorite drummers and when i think of drummers i think of him. ha.

when i learned the drum beat to Drain You i knew i could play anything. it so simple to play now but, when beginning i remember it was so hard to nail. kinda like that double bass drum beat that Bonham use to play.
Dave is hands down my all-time favorite drummer. He has such an obvious sound, you can spot him anytime. When I first heard Them Crooked Vultures, the first thing I asked, "Is that Dave fucking Grohl on the drums?" I just heard him in it. I wish he did MORE drumming, and hadn't wasted so much of his career on the Foo Fighters (ok, I'm trolling here but seriously, more drumming from Dave would be great for music in general).

The guy can blast, the guy can roll for ever, the guy can play polyrhythms or come straight with it, and he has such a powerful FORCE behind his playing, its like, SHIT, that is how drums are meant to be hit.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2013, 01:50 PM   #167
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...20-years-later

Old 09.19.2013, 02:00 PM   #168
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck both those boring records...
Old 09.19.2013, 02:24 PM   #169
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

hahaha.. they were terrible records, I was trying to think what the hell that guy is talking about? But generally speaking, when Grantland isn't writing about sports, they tend not to know what the fuck they are talking about

Old 09.24.2013, 09:01 PM   #170
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
In Utero is ok. keep in mind half of the songs were demos from 91. starts off great then gets one dimensional towards the end. not the experimental album they praised it to be. this record def depends on my mood.

anyone heard this new deluxe version?

btw, didn't the band ruin the orginal master by boosting up the vocals. there's always been something "off" about the sound. even for an Albini engineered recording.

Francis Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle? Milk It? Radio Friendly Unit Shifter? How are these not experimental for Nirvana? There is a lot of noise and feeback on those tracks in particular, something Nirvana hadn't even necessarily experimenting with live, almost like it was discovered in those studio sessions.. also simply put, tourrette's and very ape closet things to actual punk from Nirvana, I think that should be appreciated.

and the drum work on In Utero is epically better than the drums on Nevermind, and those were already fantastic!

Old 09.25.2013, 01:58 AM   #171
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
In Utero 10/10

in my opinion
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2013, 06:16 PM   #172
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I listened to the Albini version at work today, and felt, several times, that I was listening to some of the best music ever recorded.

In Utero stands alone in the end. It's the true Nirvana record, and the one pure testament to what the band was all about, without the label pressure and need to deliver (Nevermind) or the piggy backing off of semi-successful peers in an attempt to get noticed (Bleach).

The album makes everything else in the band's discog, except for certain live performances, sound pretty tame. It finally brought them to a place where they could legitimately be compared to the true visionaries of the era, like Slint, Sonic Youth, and early Unwound. If it was the only album they released, it would be held in Spiderland-like regard by indie fans looking back. Nirvana never belonged in mainstream pop, and I often wish they'd never made it there. In Utero is probably the single most unlikely 6x platinum (or is it seven now?), no.1 album in the history of billboard.

What if it's predecessor had been called Sheep, and been released on K or KRS, and been mixed by the band during borrowed studio time? That's what Nirvana should have been, I often think.

But Biff kept the Almanac, and this is an "alternate-1985" timeline we're living in here. So. Y'know.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2013, 06:35 PM   #173
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
haha yeah In Utero is like the weirdest mainstream album ever.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2013, 06:44 PM   #174
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
It used to be my all time favourite album. I am burnt out on it now. I feel the limitations of the music. But mostly, I just feel a sense of disgust at how it all ended.

Despite their pretensions to kill off mainstream hair metal and the whole sexist partybro attitude that came with that, Nirvana were hypocrites. Kurt denied his drug problem and lived and died, a large part of the time, as a rock n roll cliche. What did Nirvana really bring to music other than a kind of slightly puritan liberal vibe and a failure to decide if they could take themselves seriously or not. I still love the band but they were IMO symptomatic of the dawn of the deadend era of hipsterism and dipshitted sneering and sarcasm and shitty indie that followed.

What is fascinating about In Utero is the weird vibe of burn out and exhaustion. If you listen to their last song YKYR, its just a really sad and pathetic song of regret and masochism and shame. It didn't end well. I don't really see how what happened can be viewed as a great success or anything. I certainly dont think it was some sort of grand existential statement, it was more like a sad and insane man who drugged himself too far and killed himself. It's dark rather than particularly heroic.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2013, 06:44 PM   #175
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Im being critical here for the sake of debate, because it doesnt really interest me to gush over this album anymore since I've been listening to it since I was 12.
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2013, 01:46 AM   #176
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
That version is fantastic.

Always thought that was one of his beast screams.

But In Utero is fucking amazing. Although I love everything this band has done so much, In Utero is my fav of the three albums. Its fucking raw, on point, powerful and beautiful. And like I said its got the best drums of all time imo. Radio Friendly, Milk it, and Scentless are some of my fav Nirvana songs. And this Nirvana hate that goes around is bullshit. This band was fucking great. Nobody has ever rocked harder than they fucking did. Though I will admit from 92 to 94 their shows werent as energetic.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2013, 04:15 AM   #177
bebop210
empty page

bebop210 kicks all y'all's assesbebop210 kicks all y'all's assesbebop210 kicks all y'all's assesbebop210 kicks all y'all's assesbebop210 kicks all y'all's assesbebop210 kicks all y'all's assesbebop210 kicks all y'all's assesbebop210 kicks all y'all's assesbebop210 kicks all y'all's assesbebop210 kicks all y'all's assesbebop210 kicks all y'all's asses
I love how all the dumb rock boys say kurt wrote his wife's "live through this" and don't realize this was obviously kurt's attempt to make his own "pretty on the inside"
bebop210 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2013, 08:18 AM   #178
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
Nobody has ever rocked harder than [Nirvana] fucking did.

Bold statement!
Old 09.26.2013, 01:22 PM   #179
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Albini is the dude

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danmartin/th...ust-incredible

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2013, 02:34 PM   #180
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt

Agreed. He is such an anti-hero, the tone of this letter reads like it was part of the antics of 1991: The Year That Punk Broke.. fuck I love Nirvana aand I love Steve Albini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Bold statement!

In a way, I think he is right. Look at how much fun they were having on stage and also continually fucking around with the unintelligible music press/media. Have other bands rocked harder, louder, or faster? Possibly, but never with such a concentrated and yet expansive spot light. I can name a dozen bands whose music is "harder" but none of which have the scale and scope. Maybe Sabbath, but honestly, they weren't having anywhere near as much fun and had as much actual popularity so much as name recognition. I think this should be included in a Nirvana analysis, because the scope of their exposure means their loud rocking resonated even more so across so many TVs and radios..

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth