Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Girl In A Band: A Memoir
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.04.2015, 11:22 AM   #21
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
You can pre-order it, certainly

yeah, just pre-ordered it.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2015, 11:33 AM   #22
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
OK, cool
Old 02.04.2015, 07:04 PM   #23
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I'm sort of bugged by the fact that this will sell relatively well, but the vast majority of copies will be bought by people who don't even care that much about the music. (I know I'm making this up, but I'm probably right.)
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2015, 11:14 AM   #24
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I'm sort of bugged by the fact that this will sell relatively well, but the vast majority of copies will be bought by people who don't even care that much about the music. (I know I'm making this up, but I'm probably right.)
Hmmm.. I think that's cool. It's a memoir of Kim Gordon, not a Sonic Youth biography or anything like that. (although obviously details of her role in Sonic Youth will be in there that will appeal to us folks) But yeah, she's already said something to the effect of she didn't want to write some sort of definitive Sonic Youth book.
Old 02.06.2015, 05:21 AM   #25
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Fair enough. But judging by that awful pitchfork link, a lot of people will be looking for cheap gossip, which I'm sure wasn't her intent either.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2015, 12:40 AM   #26
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

diskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's asses
it's not only a memoir...i think it's her way to close the sonic youth connection. and move on in peace. kim is free.
diskaholic-anonymous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2015, 02:59 AM   #27
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
Kim is badmouthing Thurston every way she can, and telling everyone sonic youth is over. i can understand her feelings were hurt, but its been many years now. why can't she move on with dignity?
and why is she so hostile when anyone asks her about sonic youth? its her past.
i really like Kim, but thats how it comes across with all those interviews, and book reviews..

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2015, 03:44 AM   #28
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
Kim is badmouthing Thurston every way she can, and telling everyone sonic youth is over. i can understand her feelings were hurt, but its been many years now. why can't she move on with dignity?
i really like Kim, but thats how it comes across with all those interviews, and book reviews..

it comes across that way because that is precisely what she is doing. I mean, if it makes her feel better then more power to her I guess. I mean, the fans need to know that she was scared because Thurston threw a stapler at the wall back in '84. Only terrible abusive people throw staplers at walls when they are frustrated from stapling zines.
Old 02.07.2015, 04:10 AM   #29
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
i've never read Thurston saying anything bad about Kim or Sonic Youth. Even tho, Kim must have her dark side too...
and that makes it even sadder.

Old 02.07.2015, 04:52 AM   #30
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
i've never read Thurston saying anything bad about Kim or Sonic Youth. Even tho, Kim must have her dark side too...
and that makes it even sadder.

Everyone does, unfortunately. I like that he's still hopeful about Sonic Youth's future. I mean, it is the biggest thing any of them will do in their lives. On a positive note, 30 years from now people might still be talking about the band and none of this other stuff will matter.

I agree that it is sad in a way. I don't think any fan, despite what side of the fence they stand on (taken they stand on either) foresaw this being the sort of ending to the story that is SY.
Old 02.07.2015, 02:59 PM   #31
rocky
bad moon rising

rocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal

Maybe that is it, but, after a bit of time i realized, this is a book coming from someone who is still one of the most forward-thinking, creative and unpredictable artists. Kim's writing styles, musical and aesthetic contributions are layers and layers of both concrete surface and abstract and merging undercurrents.

I think... in the excerpts i see signs of this, she has the context and memory to write the truth as it was, allowing those layers to exist, and then allowing it to expand out like ink into water, it is clear that it's also a very unique opportunity for her to share her creative vision with many people in the form of a book, authorship is artistry and how people react to books, the places they allow them in their lives, respecting them very deeply, reading carefully and in the process generating so many responses in themselves, it is a medium that is very compatible with her understanding of creativity and the many idiosyncracies and synchronicities of human existence!
People may at first receive Kim's book as though it is something with less creative depth than her music and visual art, it is hard to orient oneself to those layers still being present, at first!
Old 02.07.2015, 05:23 PM   #32
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Today's Guardian.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...s-book-extract
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2015, 07:17 PM   #33
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

diskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie

nice article
Old 02.08.2015, 10:31 AM   #34
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

and just cause of his article i pre-order mine...
Old 02.08.2015, 11:01 AM   #35
Bal
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
I like that he's still hopeful about Sonic Youth's future. I mean, it is the biggest thing any of them will do in their lives. On a positive note, 30 years from now people might still be talking about the band and none of this other stuff will matter.

yeah exactly! and on the opposite site, Kim says that sonic youth is over for ever. which is a decision, and i respect that, but its funny, she says that, because his husband had left her. i mean c'mon, she's acting like she was 23. very childish.
we all been to this kinda situation, but at the end most of us can handle it, and make peace with the past.

Old 02.08.2015, 11:19 AM   #36
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
yeah exactly! and on the opposite site, Kim says that sonic youth is over for ever. which is a decision, and i respect that, but its funny, she says that, because his husband had left her. i mean c'mon, she's acting like she was 23. very childish.
we all been to this kinda situation, but at the end most of us can handle it, and make peace with the past.

well pixies doesn't over cause of kim deal...or other bands doesnt over cause other original members. they move out...sonic youth i'ts thurston dream, but that's involved kim relationship, lee ranaldo and steve shelley...how you can move sonic youth without those musicians ?
Old 02.08.2015, 11:29 AM   #37
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskaholic-anonymous
well pixies doesn't over cause of kim deal...or other bands doesnt over cause other original members. they move out...sonic youth i'ts thurston dream, but that's involved kim relationship, lee ranaldo and steve shelley...how you can move sonic youth without those musicians ?
The only one who seemingly is totally not on board with a reunion is Kim. I get it. I think its silly, personally, but I do get it. She's at the tail- end of middle age and spent basically half her life with this guy who ditches her for a younger woman. It's gotta suck and I can understand her not wanting to do SY anymore, even if, again I think that and making something that should be private public is in bad taste. At this point its probably about money anyway (the book). Bleh
Old 02.08.2015, 11:34 AM   #38
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
She's being very reasonable about it. If that happened to me I'd have both killed.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2015, 11:42 AM   #39
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
She's being very reasonable about it. If that happened to me I'd have both killed.

Or at the very least, grievously wounded.
Old 02.08.2015, 12:02 PM   #40
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Or at the very least, grievously wounded.

Seriously, I'd try and get a driving license in the process.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth