Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Girl In A Band: A Memoir
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.06.2015, 02:41 PM   #241
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

I love how Kim writes about the lITTLE tROUBLE gIRL VIDEO
Old 03.06.2015, 02:45 PM   #242
bunnyboyz
Banned

bunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's asses
Ok. I just listened to the Audiobook. Im too lazy to read. It was okay. I think she wasted too much time on certain things and not enough on others. Just when you think shes finally done talking about Keller she brings him up again. Over and over and over. That got old quick. She called EVOL their 3rd album. Which I thought was funny. She didn't even mention tom at all. That was a let down. She never says who I Love You Golden Blue was about, that was a let down. What was unmade bed about? Did I miss that? Shadow of a Doubt was inspired by a Hitchcock film. She didn't talk about NYC Ghosts and Flowers. Ive always wondered if "Nevermind" was about Kurdt? But she didn't go there. The Ending of the book was a total let down. With a story about her making out in front of her rental house in echo park with a "player" in his car. That was awkward and she didn't name him. She's 61 years old and now she's moved back to LA to act like a 21 year old with a no strings attached lifestyle. She's changed and not the Kim she use to be. I don't think the book really gets even with Thurston the way she wanted it too. He's in love and she isn't. It wasn't a happy ending for her. I don't feel sorry for her either. She's a spoiled brat complaining about having to sell their apartment in Soho on Lafayette only the 1% can afford plus having a 6,000 sq ft house in the Northampton and now a rental house in Echo Park. Going to a private school for children of UCLA professors on campus is extremely privileged. She takes so much for granted. Everyone who tries to help her she just treats like the biggest inconvenience she doesn't want to deal with.
bunnyboyz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2015, 02:50 PM   #243
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
dang, that is a harsh reading of it! Methinks your expectations are too much. everyone changes every day and are NEVER the person they "used" to be. so what?
Old 03.06.2015, 03:43 PM   #244
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyboyz
She's a spoiled brat complaining about having to sell their apartment in Soho on Lafayette only the 1% can afford plus having a 6,000 sq ft house in the Northampton and now a rental house in Echo Park. Going to a private school for children of UCLA professors on campus is extremely privileged. She takes so much for granted. Everyone who tries to help her she just treats like the biggest inconvenience she doesn't want to deal with.

I don't have the energy for a full-on rant, but this 1% mentality is a joke. Both as it applies to Kim and as it applies in general. You see where Kim comes from...the jobs she's had...the hills she has climbed...and the integrity she has maintained throughout. Invest some passion and elbow grease into something and maybe you'll be rewarded too.
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2015, 04:04 PM   #245
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

INDEED.

like I said in my review, Kim doesn't "owe" anyone anything. She is a writer and what she wants to share is what she wants to share. Kim built a fashion business with a friend (x-girl) sold it (the AMERICAN DREAM) and saved the money so she could buy the house in Northhampton. That is as far away from entitled 1%'er as one can get. Hard work paid off. do not begrudge her her life.
Old 03.06.2015, 04:05 PM   #246
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

I love how Kim writes about the lITTLE tROUBLE gIRL VIDEO

BTW, this was my teenage dream right here.....Both my Kims.....
Old 03.06.2015, 04:06 PM   #247
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the other day i had this critical-paranoiac (dalí) flash in which secretmonalisa (a shy hypersensitive name-- and from kansas, no less!) was kim's internet alter ego, digging up the dirt here in the board.

every post from secretmonalisa is a curious gem...i've had my eye on her(?) for years.

btw jenn - great review!! love the pic that kim tweeted, too.

for me, the book was a good, quick read - i rarely care about an artist's childhood (let's be honest, i would have loved to read kim write 200 pages on nothing but the sonic youth discography, which i'm sure would bore her senseless) but in an autobiography it's always a little more interesting. neil young's book was the same. it is curious how the "thousand leaves"/"nyc ghosts" era is so quickly glossed over - i wonder if she just wasn't feeling the band at this point (young child) and jim's arrival really invigorated her?

i noticed a handful of errors, none more blatant than kim attaching a story to a pic of her and kurt that unfortunately was taken over a year before frances was born (and before he actually met courtney!).

also, somebody has to explain to me how "brother james" corresponds to mystery train, lyrically. this is the first i've heard of her specifically mentioning jim morrison, so has the "james" in the title been jim morrison this whole time?!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2015, 12:46 AM   #248
secretmonalisa
empty page

secretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's assessecretmonalisa kicks all y'all's asses
I go by the name secretmonalisa because I think I inspired the line in the song, but it was so long ago that I don't remember what song it was! Empty page? Back in my New York city days. I would never kiss a married man, too messy. I would never get married, too messy.
secretmonalisa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2015, 01:23 AM   #249
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
dang, that is a harsh reading of it! Methinks your expectations are too much. everyone changes every day and are NEVER the person they "used" to be. so what?

True, maybe. She's always came off as being extremely superficial, however. Is this a bad thing? It depends on who you ask. I for one don't think so, but I usually find these sorts extremely boring.

Still haven't read the book.
Old 03.07.2015, 02:27 AM   #250
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Kim superficial? Did i miss the drug party cuz some folks seem a bit not in their right mind to make such comments

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2015, 02:33 AM   #251
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Also, "not the Kim she used to be?" (A) seems like more or less the same kim too me aside from (b)the obvious trauma a divorce brings to any person or situation.. again though like i mentioned im not interested in this or any SY related bio book, i like to know them through their art, their shows, and the real life conversations ive been blessed to have with members of the band and even their children. It was a privilege to meet Lee's son, i loved chatting with Kim, Steve is one of the coolest "people in a band" ive ever talked to and i've been in a few bands myself! Fuck this book.. i ain't hatin on kim for writing it but this thread in particular all the more validated why id never read it

Old 03.07.2015, 03:59 AM   #252
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Kim superficial? Did i miss the drug party cuz some folks seem a bit not in their right mind to make such comments

That's the vibe I've always gotten. Again, this wasn't exactly meant as an insult.
Old 03.07.2015, 04:07 AM   #253
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Also, "not the Kim she used to be?" (A) seems like more or less the same kim too me aside from (b)the obvious trauma a divorce brings to any person or situation.. again though like i mentioned im not interested in this or any SY related bio book, i like to know them through their art, their shows, and the real life conversations ive been blessed to have with members of the band and even their children. It was a privilege to meet Lee's son, i loved chatting with Kim, Steve is one of the coolest "people in a band" ive ever talked to and i've been in a few bands myself! Fuck this book.. i ain't hatin on kim for writing it but this thread in particular all the more validated why id never read it

So, in other words you'd rather not read about Kim in Kim's own words because it might change your opinion on Kim? Interesting, especially considering that you have no qualms arguing over something you, by your own account, haven't read with those who have.

Maybe I'm missing something. In all fairness and to your benefit all the reviews speak of stuff that was already mentioned before the book was actually released. Kind of like a film trailer showing all of the good parts before the film hits theaters.

A rant:

I understand not reading a book by or about someone I don't find interesting. I can appreciate Kim as a vocalist, and her sense of fashion is sometimes interesting (two things I wouldn't have considered "art" some years back. I've changed my mind on that in more recent times which I'm thankful for, for my own sake). I say I don't find Kim interesting, and my opinion regarding her being "superficial" is based off what little she's vocalized through the years. Now she says a lot and there's some newfound interest in her. Or maybe the newfound interest is based more off the fact that she was cheated on than anything else. I mean before this, she was always sort of the "mystery" element of what was Sonic Youth. Then all of this and she just seems soooo obvious as a person. The fans become so obvious as people. It's like watching a bunch of folks whine over some Lifetime movie and I find that strange. I do find her interesting within the context of Sonic Youth. She's important in that realm. I can understand why others might find her interesting in other ways, even if I tend to disagree most of the time. And it's not that I don't appreciate women as some have suggested. I just think it's silly when they have to talk about what it means to be a woman in rock, as opposed to just rocking the fuck out which has endless more to say. Anyone who knows me knows my love for Patti Smith, as a person as well as an artist, is on par with any of those other people I've praised through the years...most notably Iggy Pop. They are both two different sides of the same coin. Both understand the beauty of going batshit crazy for art's sake, as well as how to calm down for the sake of intelligent convo. I like when people are multifaceted and willing to reinvent themselves for virtually any reason. It's OK for people to contradict themselves. It's OK to not be the same person all the time.
Old 03.07.2015, 05:44 AM   #254
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Ok. I just listened to the Audiobook. Im too lazy to read. It was okay. I think she wasted too much time on certain things and not enough on others. Just when you think shes finally done talking about Keller she brings him up again. Over and over and over. That got old quick. She called EVOL their 3rd album. Which I thought was funny. She didn't even mention tom at all. That was a let down. She never says who I Love You Golden Blue was about, that was a let down. What was unmade bed about? Did I miss that? Shadow of a Doubt was inspired by a Hitchcock film. She didn't talk about NYC Ghosts and Flowers. Ive always wondered if "Nevermind" was about Kurdt? But she didn't go there. The Ending of the book was a total let down. With a story about her making out in front of her rental house in echo park with a "player" in his car. That was awkward and she didn't name him. She's 61 years old and now she's moved back to LA to act like a 21 year old with a no strings attached lifestyle. She's changed and not the Kim she use to be. I don't think the book really gets even with Thurston the way she wanted it too. He's in love and she isn't. It wasn't a happy ending for her. I don't feel sorry for her either. She's a spoiled brat complaining about having to sell their apartment in Soho on Lafayette only the 1% can afford plus having a 6,000 sq ft house in the Northampton and now a rental house in Echo Park. Going to a private school for children of UCLA professors on campus is extremely privileged. She takes so much for granted. Everyone who tries to help her she just treats like the biggest inconvenience she doesn't want to deal with.

This has got to be one of the most comically poorly articulated book reviews I've ever read in my life.
Old 03.07.2015, 07:03 AM   #255
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray

I can appreciate Kim as a vocalist, and her sense of fashion is sometimes interesting (two things I wouldn't have considered "art" some years back. I've changed my mind on that in more recent times which I'm thankful for, for my own sake). I say I don't find Kim interesting, and my opinion regarding her being "superficial" is based off what little she's vocalized through the years. Now she says a lot and there's some newfound interest in her. Or maybe the newfound interest is based more off the fact that she was cheated on than anything else. I mean before this, she was always sort of the "mystery" element of what was Sonic Youth. Then all of this and she just seems soooo obvious as a person. The fans become so obvious as people. It's like watching a bunch of folks whine over some Lifetime movie and I find that strange. I do find her interesting within the context of Sonic Youth. She's important in that realm. I can understand why others might find her interesting in other ways, even if I tend to disagree most of the time. And it's not that I don't appreciate women as some have suggested. I just think it's silly when they have to talk about what it means to be a woman in rock, as opposed to just rocking the fuck out which has endless more to say. Anyone who knows me knows my love for Patti Smith, as a person as well as an artist, is on par with any of those other people I've praised through the years...most notably Iggy Pop. They are both two different sides of the same coin. Both understand the beauty of going batshit crazy for art's sake, as well as how to calm down for the sake of intelligent convo. I like when people are multifaceted and willing to reinvent themselves for virtually any reason. It's OK for people to contradict themselves. It's OK to not be the same person all the time.

Swa, it is more difficult to be a woman in general. Men don't get objectified, tortured, raped, humiliated etc the same way women do around the world every day. Kim doesn't need to justify the way she feels about this or come up with a distinct plan on how to stop it. The answer is already there for the perpetrators to understand.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2015, 08:50 AM   #256
bunnyboyz
Banned

bunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's assesbunnyboyz kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
This has got to be one of the most comically poorly articulated book reviews I've ever read in my life.
dear Jonathan Marks in Edinburg. Your ugly and have nothing to say. your prose blog is the most comically teenage effort I've read since I was in high school. I can't believe guys your age still write that way. You have nothing to say so shut the fuck up and go back to your ugly girlfriend. You limp dick bitch.
bunnyboyz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2015, 08:55 AM   #257
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
dear Jonathan Marks in Edinburg. Your ugly and have nothing to say. your prose blog is the most comically teenage effort I've read since I was in high school. I can't believe guys your age still write that way. You have nothing to say so shut the fuck up and go back to your ugly girlfriend. You limp dick bitch.
wow your a mature individual.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2015, 09:46 AM   #258
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
So, in other words you'd rather not read about Kim in Kim's own words because it might change your opinion on Kim? Interesting, especially considering that you have no qualms arguing over something you, by your own account, haven't read with those who have.

Maybe I'm missing something. In all fairness and to your benefit all the reviews speak of stuff that was already mentioned before the book was actually released. Kind of like a film trailer showing all of the good parts before the film hits theaters.

Who have i argued with on this thread and what are you claiming i argued exactly? Also been listening to SY for decades now, talked to kim in person, are you suggesting its impossible to know anything about kim without reading her book? Im simply not interested in learning much more if its about her more personal life outside of her art, why does that bother you?

Old 03.07.2015, 09:55 AM   #259
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Who have i argued with on this thread and what are you claiming i argued exactly? Also been listening to SY for decades now, talked to kim in person, are you suggesting its impossible to know anything about kim without reading her book? Im simply not interested in learning much more if its about her more personal life outside of her art, why does that bother you?
I think I made my point very clear, as well as understanding where you are coming from. Also, I've spoken with Lee twice, Thurston and Steve once. I don't feel I know much about them as people as a result of these brief after-show fan/artist interactions. You and Kim go out for coffee twice a week? Relax

And just for the record, I didn't get into SY two years ago. Im willing to bet the size of my collection ranks within the top few out of everyone on this here forum. Stu probably has me beat ( I quit "collecting" all things SY related a couple years back sans the random rarity I may come across). It barely matters
Old 03.07.2015, 10:00 AM   #260
confusion is next
bad moon rising

confusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's assesconfusion is next kicks all y'all's asses
i wish i could write better in english to say an "intelligent" review, i already read it...but i think i'm going to a second round. with the soundtrack of body/head...anyway for a first impression was a easy read, like to know some details of the band in her point of view, her youth in L.A, her relation with New York, i think some details about Thurston was unnecessary... ok she's still angry and that boy needs a lesson...but she doesn't win and he didn't loose.
i love them as musicians and i wanna keep that feeling that way.
confusion is next is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
101112 13 141516 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth